A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first time...with reupholstry...  (Read 4271 times)
Tags for this thread: chair , reupholstery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scissorbrit
« on: September 07, 2009 11:10:11 AM »

So we found this chair outside near my house yesterday night and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try reupholstry-ering.

Back of reupholstered chair

Chair before, stained and faded pink suede! (Pretty cool if it had been in better condition)

back of chair before

The chair that could have been... My boyfriend hated the fabric... I didn't think it looked great as a chair so I took it off and plan to make my puppy a jacket for the Jerusalem winter!!!

My puppy Joey helping

Here she is with a capeish thing

front of chair
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twodustyboots
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009 11:19:47 AM »

Looks like you did an excellent job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallyb
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009 12:02:51 PM »

Wowee!  Looks great!  I really like the fabric you chose - Versace-esque, as in his baroque collections!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scissorbrit
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009 03:56:16 PM »

Thanks so much, that fabric was really cheap, like 8 shekels a meter... so I guess I spent about 6 dollars on 3 meters. Maybe I should make a jacket or something from it to feel chic...  hehehe when I sit near it it'll be like the scene from Garden State..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009 01:38:36 AM »

Turned out great!  Nice fabric you chose.  Joey looks quiet happy with your choice. lol.  At that price, did you get the fabric on line?  That is a great price.  Thanks for sharing.  Sure wish I could find things like that.  You really found something good and turned it into gold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scissorbrit
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009 04:25:38 AM »

I got it at this really cheapy fabric store on Yaffo street here. Pretty much everything is 8 shek a meter ($2) and some for 5 shekels even. It is kind of limited, I have found only a few fabrics cool enough to want to buy, but when you find them, it's pure happiness. I only work two days a week right now so money is kind of an scarce (luckily I live near a huge outdoor market and it's easy to bargan here). I think the store is so cheap because they deal with a lot of the Orthodox people who usually study instead of work and have a lot of kids and use government stipends. Either way, the cheaper the better!

I dunno what I'm gonna do in the states where people don't leave their decent furniture on the street for whomever wants it. Here they even leave bags of clothes near but not in dumpsters, all folded and stuff incase people want them.... I haven't gone that far yet into being able to take clothes from the street, but it is great for furniture and other cool stuff (Found a bunch of old records the other day!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aman.called.pan
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009 08:19:15 AM »

Looks much better now!
I live in Portland, and people leave decent stuff on the curb all the time (especially the people in my apartment complex... makes me wonder if they watch me take things out of the dumpster...)
So depending on where you go in the states, you may not be totally deprived!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scissorbrit
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009 02:54:29 PM »

Aww In Portland you guys have a movie theater that serves beer, don't you??? My friend lived there awhile. I'm am embarrassingly from Fresno in California and the only time stuff goes on the street is right before the yearly big trash pickup date and then it's all broken baby strollers or lawn chairs :/  ha luckily shopping in my parents attic/garage/house from all the times my sister and I have moved should take care of the basics... but still not as fun as finding those golden pieces of furniture.

I, too often feel a bit weird when people see me glancing around the dumpster... the other night I was looking as an old man was gathering and asked  me "do you want something??" ... weird... like bums fighting for turf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aman.called.pan
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009 04:14:41 PM »

Yeah, I think we have a couple beer theaters... not 21 until December, though, so I haven't been there yet!
My neighbors are always throwing things out, for some reason. I have a good view of the apartment dumpster from my balcony, so usually get first pick. haha. I actually just found a bunch of stretched canvases in there yesterday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009 11:12:00 PM »

Thank you for your reply scissorbrit.  I can imagine what types of fabric are in that store with that type of clientele.  Think it's worth it for me to ask a friend that lives in the city to go by for a look or does it take a lucky day. I can't seem to find nice fabric in my area and esp. now I'm looking for cute baby type fabric.  Even our Ikea doesn't have nice fabrics, mostly one color.   The prices sound too good to be true.
As far as finding stuff in the states, just in this post area alone is full of recons from stuff found off the streets esp in the states.  It's mind boggling the stuff people have found here and made to look completely different and like new.  I'm jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Modern Textured Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji SS 2014 Fashion Show
A Quick Updo Tutorial, for a Formal Event
Top 5 Ways to Add Shine to Your Hair
The Difference Between a $100 and $1,000 Haircut
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...