A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilt Swap 5 CLOSED - Send 10/8/2009 for fabric; 12/22/2009 for blocks  (Read 20956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2009 06:56:35 AM »

So, it isn't Monday, but I'm feeling the need to 'update'.  Actually my guilt is getting the best of me.  I totally screwed up china's block.  Twice.  So I had enough fabric left for a simple nine patch. 

I'm having problems with my machine, as I've posted before, and for some reason on EVERY triangle corner I tried sewing my machine ate it.  So, after I cut and ruined a bunch of her fabric, I decided to just sew together some squares and call it a day. 

So, this swap has been a challenge for me.  I've learned my skill level is a beginner I've learned and my machine is a POS.  I know that some of the problems I've run into are my skill level, but some of them have been my machine.  I totally admire all of you true quilt makers out there. 

As for the rest of my blocks, I found a simple yet pretty block called woven ribbons that I'm going to do the rest in.  I just pray that my machine makes it through 4 or 5 more. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2009 08:20:10 AM »

So, it isn't Monday, but I'm feeling the need to 'update'.  Actually my guilt is getting the best of me.  I totally screwed up china's block.  Twice.  So I had enough fabric left for a simple nine patch. 

I'm having problems with my machine, as I've posted before, and for some reason on EVERY triangle corner I tried sewing my machine ate it.  So, after I cut and ruined a bunch of her fabric, I decided to just sew together some squares and call it a day. 

So, this swap has been a challenge for me.  I've learned my skill level is a beginner I've learned and my machine is a POS.  I know that some of the problems I've run into are my skill level, but some of them have been my machine.  I totally admire all of you true quilt makers out there. 

As for the rest of my blocks, I found a simple yet pretty block called woven ribbons that I'm going to do the rest in.  I just pray that my machine makes it through 4 or 5 more. 

Oh no, Summertimerolls! Don't beat yourself up.  If your machine is eating corners, you can start a bit further down your seam line 1/2" maybe and backstitch to the end, then go forwards.  Or put a pice of paper underneath so it doesn't get sucked in, then carefully pull the paper off afterwards. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2009 09:30:11 AM »

Great advice, Marmish.  Hang in there, Summertimerolls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2009 10:10:48 AM »

don't feel guilty.

and have you tried yelling at your machine. or swearing at it? or thumping it?

these techniques are tried and true for inanimate objects around here.

and please... keep plugging away and trying new things.  i'm pretty sure i sent tons of fabric so when you are ready to get back on the horse use my fabric.  i still have lots at home if you go thru it all..  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2009 03:07:17 PM »

don't feel guilty.

and have you tried yelling at your machine. or swearing at it? or thumping it?

these techniques are tried and true for inanimate objects around here.

and please... keep plugging away and trying new things.  i'm pretty sure i sent tons of fabric so when you are ready to get back on the horse use my fabric.  i still have lots at home if you go thru it all..  Cheesy

Ditto all of that, including the last part about having more fabric. And especially the yelling and swearing.  Or switch it up and use that low quiet scary mean voice reserved for the worst of offenses where its so bad you can't even yell about it.  That usually makes the 6th graders cry and even the 8th graders blanch.  I'm sure it will straighten that wimpy sewing machine in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2009 04:21:13 PM »

Aww...thanks everyone, I needed that.  You made me laugh.  I'm afraid though if I beat on my machine, it will stop all together.  I'm sure you all understand the "I shouldn't even be sewing" days...it seems to have past.  I finished the rest of my blocks today, and they all turned out nice.

Great advice on the corners!  Using paper underneath!  I would have never thought of that.  This is why I LOVE craftster and craftsters so much!

Oh, and the advice about using the low voice.  I do that with my kids.  Somedays I yell and see that I'm getting through to no one.  Then I bend down low, look them in the eyes and say almost in a whisper, "I'm about done..."  That scares the shit out of them! 

Thanks again guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2009 05:40:02 PM »

you know... beating on a machine until it stops working is a technique i have yet to try to get a new sewing machine...  thanks for the idea summertime! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Linnybelle
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2009 06:20:50 AM »

Summertime, you could also try using a leader piece of fabric.  Sometimes my machine is bad too and I find it helps to run a scrap piece of fabric through first, then if it eats it, it's just the scrap and the actual work isn't messed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
gingerquilts
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2009 12:50:09 PM »

I also find changing the needle frequently and rethreading when it messes up helps a lot.  I always use a "leader" and an "ender"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2009 09:36:28 AM »

Sorry I have been awol lately. Stuff going on but im going to update everything this weekend. Im going to cut everything this weekend and start sewing.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miranda Mendoza: Copy the Cover Challenge
Megan Moore: Copy the Cover Challenge
Alyssa Wallace: Copy the Cover Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Copy the Cover Challenge
Tips And Tricks For Summer Legs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...