A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bird Nest Supply Station  (Read 1614 times)
Tags for this thread: bird  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EnginerdLisa
« on: September 07, 2009 07:25:35 AM »

Not so much a craft project, but something to do with left over bits of string, yarn, fabric etc.  You can be the neighborhood Home Depot for birds!  Take a suet feeder and fill with hair from you hair brush (I use dog hair from my vacuum), bits of string, yarn and fabric from your projects, grass clippings, pine needles, any other materials you think birds can use.  Keep strips of cloth and string short (3 inches or less so birds can carry them and not get tangled), and don't use any plastic or nylon.  Hang it near your bird feeder or other bird houses.  Voila, birdy building supply store!  I can't get a picture of mine, my camera's memory card is stuck in the computer  Angry But I'm sure you can visualize a suet feeder full of dog hair and grass.  I included a picture of a suet feeder (for those who may not know)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
Cheeco
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009 09:51:44 AM »

Hi, that is a wonderful idea BUT you need to watch out for the fine hair like dog hair and human hair.  We have a pair of Zebra finch and initially we gave them cat hair to line their nest with.  Well when it is so fine, it wrapped around their toes.   Sad Luckily the vet was able to cut the hair off before the toes strangluated and fell off.  Smiley So make sure the items are wider like bits of fabric and wider yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009 11:05:26 AM »

Really? I'm surprised, I saw lots of stuff online saying hair was good, that is terrible, I'm glad to hear your birds are ok though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
kholbert
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009 01:36:48 PM »

Seconding what Cheeco said. I work at an exotic vet and blond hair is the enemy! Though, that is just because it is usually hardest for us to see to remove it-- really, any fine hair is bad, bad, BAD! I haven't seen it in wild bird populations, but I've seen many pet birds loose toes and feet to hair cutting off their blood supply and their owners not getting them to us in time.

Otherwise-- it's an adorable idea! I bet you'd get almost as many birds with that as with an actual feeder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 1/2
How to Make Parmesan Tuiles
Savoury Cheese Ball Recipe
Cheesy Pizza Dip Recipe
Tips on Making Buffalo Wings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...