A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,673
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ScrapCat, the amigurumi kitty made from leftovers! (free pattern) *updated  (Read 4191 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hyper-Piston
« on: September 06, 2009 08:42:20 PM »

**Knot tutorial below the pattern.

Occasionally, I'll get distracted from something I'm working on while doing it. The last time this happened, I wondered "Hey, I save all my yarn scraps. But for what? ... I should make a cat."
So I did.
Three of them, actually. They're all made from random bits of yarn, each about five inches or more long, that I tied together to form one long strand, so there's endless possibilities! Each one I make turns out with a different personality and quirk. I love to make them wahaha.
When making them I actually decided to keep a bit of the messyness instead of trying to make them clean-cut as it were, since the whole point was to reuse scraps leftover. They're even stuffed with scraps!
My first was Pheobe

And after her came Groucho and his ridiculous eyebrows and facial expression. That's how he came out no matter how many times I did it.

I had a bunch of white scraps from various projects, and so decided to make myself a good luck Maneki ScrapCat too.

The Roman aluminum coin isn't a yen, obviously, but it gets the point across XD
He doesn't have a tail but the other two do, and a pipecleaner makes it all bendy and... stuff. Bwahaha.

I don't know how much people will like them, but they're fun and kinda funky to make, and a great way to recycle any leftover scraps or chunks of yarn you may have rather than tossing them, so I wrote up my first pattern! Thought that might be good practice for later patterns I want to write too Grin

I'll post it here, but it's also on my blog at carouselcute.blogspot.com.
Since it's my first, if there's any problems just let me know!
Hope you like it!

Scrap Cat Pattern

A free pattern to make, with love!

This pattern is free for making, giving, sharing, selling the products of, etc. I only ask that you let me know when you sell things from it, and don't claim it as your own.

MATERIALS:

G hook (H can work, but G is better for tightness)
Worsted weight yarn scraps (A good three handfuls, each scrap 5 inches or more is allright. You can use non-scrap yarn, too.)
Polyfil*
Embroidery floss
Needle (and yarn needle, obviously)
Pipecleaner (optional)
2 buttons (for the eyes. Or use your respective eyes. I like buttons for them because it suits the scrappy feel.)

*If you REALLY want to be thrifty, just stuff it with more scraps!

TERMS
ch-chain
st-stitch
sc-single crochet
inc-increase (2 single crochet in one sitch)
dec-decrease (single crochet 2 stitches together) (invisible decrease is best, and easy to learn with tutorials online. Planet June and Gourmet Amigurumi have good ones.)

BEFORE YOU START.

There should be a good two to three handfuls of scraps. Anything longer than 5 inches is allright. Note that shorter scraps will only show a few stitches, and longer ones will show much more. To obtain the "scrap yarn", take two strands and place them end to end, and tie a 2-strand overhand knot as close as possible to the ends (leaving a little bit of tail). Pull tight to make sure it won't slip out. Repeat as you go so that your scraps form yarn just enough length to work with. Remember to leave a good amount for sewing the piece to the body! A longer piece there is best.
The knots won't show through your crochet. If, when you make a stitch, they're showing on that side, tighten it or pop it through to the other side. Undoing the stitch and making it again only tighter can solve the problem too.
I realize this might be kind of a weird way to work, so if there's any problems or you have any trouble, just email me and I'll be happy to help!

PATTERN
This is worked as Amigurumi. Do not join rounds, work in a spiral instead. You don't have to do it in this order, but I make notes along the way as to assembly, so it's probably a good idea. It's also easier to do some things before others.
Have fun!

HEAD

Make a magic ring with 6 stitches. (or CH2, and make 6sc in first ch if you don't know the magic ring technique)

r1: inc in each st (12)
r2: *1 sc in next st, inc in next st. repeat from * around (18)
r3: *1 sc in next 2 st, inc in next st. repeat from * around (24)
r4: sc in each st. (24)
r5-7: repeat r4. (24)
r8: *1 sc in next 2 st, 1 dec. repeat from * around (18)
r9: *1sc in next st, 1 dec. repeat from * around (12)

Fasten off and pull tail inside the head.
Stuff well.

FACE

Using embroidery floss, sew an upside down triangular nose and mouth onto the middle of the face. Sew the buttons on for the eyes along the same line as the nose.

EARS (make 2)

Magic ring with 6 st.

r1: 1 sc in each st. (6)
r2: *1 sc in next st, inc. repeat around. (9)
r3: 1 sc in each st. (9)
r4: *1 sc in next 2 st, inc. repeat from * around, (12)

Fasten off and leave long tails for sewing.

If you want, choose a solid colour for both ears (make sure you have enough!) and sew it onto one side of each ear, to make the inner ear colour.
Fold them flat and sew the ears onto the top of the head, bending the sides in slightly to create a concave effect.

BODY

Magic ring with 6 st.

r2: *1 sc in next st, inc in next st. repeat from * around (18)
r3: *1 sc in next 2 st, inc in next st. repeat from * around (24)
r4: sc in each st. (24)
r5: repeat r4.
r6: *1 sc in next 2 st, 1 dec. repeat from * around (18)
r7: sc in each st (18)
r8: repeat r7.
r9: *1sc in next st, 1 dec. repeat from * around (12)
r10: sc in each st (12)
r11: repeat r10.

Fasten off with long tail.

TAIL

Magic ring with 6 st.

r1: sc in each st (6)
r2-4: repeat r1.
r5: dec, sc in remaining 4 st (5)
r6: sc in each st (5)
r7-15: repeat r6.

Fasten off. Fold pipecleaner in half and push the folded end into the tail. There should be some still outside of the tail. Place the tail at the base of the body (where, when sitting, it will be sticking outward) and push the remaining end into the body and fold one end one way and the other end the opposite way, to anchor the pipecleaner in place.
Sew the tail onto the body.

Stuff the body completely, adding a penny or two to the bottom for weight, if desired (not necessary).
Now, sew the body to the head, making sure that you fasten it to where the tail is behind (and when looking down on it, between) the two ears.

ARMS (make 2)

Magic ring with 6 st.

r1: sc in each st. (6)
r2-9: repeat r1.
(this is when a stitch marker really comes in handy. You can use a paperclip or hook earring if you don't have one.)

Stuff.
Sew the opening closed by fastening off with a long tail, and threading the tail through the outer loop of each stitch and pulling closed.

LEGS (make 2)

Magic ring with 6 st.

r2: sc in each st (12)
r3-6: repeat r2

Fasten off and stuff.

Sew to the body, each leg at an angle towards the front (not directly below the ears, but angled inward). Make sure it's at the base, same as the tail, so your ScrapCat can sit without falling over.

Sew the arms onto the body just below the neck.
For a Maneki ScrapCat (the raise-paw good luck cat), Sew the left arm on upwards. You can sew the paw down in a beckoning motion, and tack on a bell or fake coin as well.

That's all! It's finished! I hope you enjoyed this pattern and had fun with it!

If you have any questions, comments, or want to share your ScrapCat, just let me know!

Here's the explanation for the overhand knot:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009 12:51:13 AM by Hyper-Piston » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 09:17:23 PM »

Totally cute, I like the last cat a lot. Thanks for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Hyper-Piston
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009 01:48:29 AM »

Thanks! I know they're a bit messy n silly, but they're fun to make haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009 05:42:09 AM »

I really like these! I have a friend who teases me when I save the last little bits of yarn (not quite long enough to make a Granny's Daughter) and wants to know what I can make with them. I already made her a little finger puppet, but I think she needs a ScrapCat, too!

But, I'm having a bit of brain block on the way you knot the scraps together. Any chance you can show a pic of what the knot looks like before you trim it?

And, thanks so much for sharing such a neat idea and such a cute pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
sherettehippot
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009 10:58:49 AM »

I have fallen in love with Groucho - he is darling! Smiley I adore his face - it was obviously just meant to be that way!
I am going to have to try this! I have rainbow scraps left from making a pouch for my mp3 player - thank you for sharing your pattern!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009 01:24:33 PM »

I adore Groucho, he is simply wonderful. The other two as well, of course, but he is my hands down favourite.
Thanks for the pattern, wish I could read them better Tongue. Maybe this will motivate me to practice some more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Hyper-Piston
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009 03:14:07 PM »

Thank you guys!
Craftaddchick: I know what you mean, I'm such a packrat I have a basketfull of odds n ends haha.
Certainly! I'll probably do that today. The knots seem daunting when you're crocheting, but they hide themselves well, behind the stitches. I'll update here when I put up pics.
sherettehippot: I'm really happy he's got fans XD he's rather pleased with himself, I believe.
I think a rainbow one would look great!  Can't wait to see it.
craftylittlemonkey: Yay! I'm glad you like him haha. I tried to make this one easy to follow because I know patterns can get very in depth, but if you have any questions, just lemme know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paleona
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009 11:32:46 AM »

What a great idea!  Love how they each have their own unique look to them.  And as for the good luck cat... do want!  Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009 01:26:37 PM »

Certainly! I'll probably do that today. The knots seem daunting when you're crocheting, but they hide themselves well, behind the stitches. I'll update here when I put up pics.

Yay! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Shadesofme
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010 01:12:38 AM »

Cute! I love the last cat! I've added this to stumbleupon. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Macro/Close-up Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Beach/Snow Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Backlight Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Aperture Priority Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...