A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home Made Potato Chips  (Read 553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flyinglauren
« on: September 06, 2009 10:31:56 AM »

Hey all, this is a wonderful recipe i found in my moms cooking light magazine. They are so delicious and infinitely better than regular potato chips!
This is what you need:
Potatoes
Oil, Like olive
Salt
Cooking Spray

1. Peel potato, and slice. I always use the tomato slicer that comes on most cheese graters, it gives you perfect slices! You can slice them thinner or thicker, it doesnt matter, its just a matter of preference.

2. Lay out a napkin flat, and place all your slices on it. You'll probably need more than one, depending on your potato size. Put another napkin on top and pat slices down. This step isnt totally necessary  but i find that it really increases the quality.

3. Put your slices in a medium bowl, and add oil, just enough to thinnly coat each slice. Add salt as desired.

4. Spray a microwave safe plate with cooking spray, and arrange as many slices as you can on the plate. Dont let them touch, or else they'll fuse together haha

5. The next part is tricky to get right, because each microwave is different, but i use this rule of thumb..if your chips are thin like standard potato chips, puut them in for 2 minutes, remove, flip them over, and nuke for 1 more minute.

If they are thicker, i usually try three minutes, flip them, and then cook for 2 more minutes.
Its all about experimentation, so if your fist batch doesn't turn out right, you always have more slices to toy with!

When your slices are done, the should look yellow, like normal chips or a bit darker, golden. Thats the color i try to achieve, its so delicious!

Its very best to enjoy your chips hot, but if you used thicker slices, let them cool a few minutes, because they crisp as they cool.

Please let me know if you tried this recipe, and how it turned out! If you need any more pointers, just ask Wink

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009 03:34:04 PM by flyinglauren » THIS ROCKS   Logged

melonhead-7
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 12:28:38 PM »

I haven't done this in the microwave yet, just the oven. My food processor makes thinner slices than I can achieve by hand. (My box grater is a piece of junk.).

I bet this is good with sweet potatoes, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ellen in sunny south Florida
omnivore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 05:26:58 PM »

great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyinglauren
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009 03:35:33 PM »

mm yes ive been meaning to make sweet potato chips for my mom, she loves them.
and i wanted to try making apple chips, using brown sugar and cinnoman instead of salt. But i was wandering, should i use oil still? or use something else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown
Tony DiTerlizzi on His Audiobook, A Hero for WondLa, Read by Teri Hatcher
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Answer Fan Questions
Behind the Scenes of Writing Between You and Me
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Read from Between You and Me
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...