A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Evangelion Insulated Bento Bag!  (Read 6958 times)
Tags for this thread: bento , lunchbag , holiday_gifts_kids  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2009 04:09:37 AM »

My daughter and I got into bento in a really big way when she returned to public school in January '09. She tried the school lunch about one time and declared that she'd make and carry lunches from home so she a) could save us money (awwww!) and b) have actual food to eat. (I saw the "food" with my own eyes, and she made a good call. There's nothing pretty about a school cafeteria duplicating fast food that was already gross!)
We had some bento bags, but they were very small and uninsulated. My daughter needed a bag that was a) insulated b) a decent size c) cool, which meant it had to feature some of her art. She chose a piece of Evangelion fanart she painted called "Thinking."
(My daughter's a ridiculously talented plush maker, and she's about to start a Craftster account to share her work.)

I almost made the lunch bag with the fold-down top, but then I found this pattern for a lunch bag with a drawstring top from Oh Fransson!

The Oh Fransson! pattern calls for a quilted interior and vinylized exterior (puzzling choices). I used iron-on vinyl on the lining fabric, and used ThermoWeb HeatnBond Lite to laminate InsulBrite (an insulating batting made by needlepunching mylar with polyester batting) to the exterior fabric.
I didn't have any trouble getting a universal-sized (15) needle through the Insul Brite or the vinyl.
OF! laminated vinyl to the handle fabric, which gives the handles body. Since I didn't do that, I stiffened the handles with heavyweight fusible interfacing.

On to the pictures!

The great thing about the InsulBrite, besides its insulating properties, is that it makes the bag stand up on its own and the corners are very crisp! Since I'm a fiend for sharp corners, I'm delighted.
The drawstrings are recycled from a pair of her brother's shoes. (Yes, I put new laces in before I took these!)

This is my daughter's favorite work from her deviantART gallery. She's really gotten into Neon Genesis Evangelion (I remember when it first came out, haha!), and chose this piece she painted of Eva 2. I printed it on to inkjet t-shirt transfer paper, ironed it on to cotton twill, then stuck it to the bag using HeatnBond Lite. (Something I LOVE about HeatnBond Lite is that it's a low-temp adhesive and NO STEAM REQUIRED!)
Pieces attached with HnB Lite aren't completely fixed without stitching, so I did zig-zagged the hell out of it.
For fun, I did it with glow-in-the-dark thread.  
NOTE: I added the patch BEFORE I sewed a single seam.

A closeup of the stitching on the patch. When the thread is "charged" and the patch seen in a dark room, the outlines of the art look like a teeny constellation. :3

Here's the interior! In Evangelion, the Evas fights aliens called "Angels." I picked a fabric that had ghosts that resembled the Angels. From this angle, they look like they're swirling madly in there, like they might take lunch to another dimension.
OF! calls for hand-sewing the lining to the bag, but this gal's not interested in getting a sewing needle through vinyl. I sewed the lining to the exterior by pinning (pinning pinning) them together and following the topstitching lines.

Last, a maker's tag. Tags are a little thing that really make a huge difference! Everyone should use them!
(That's my name "Lea Ada Franco", and "Her Work" on the back. I used the "K" in work as the "K" in 2K9, 2009.)

Hope you dig it!  
I learned a lot from making this bag, since I'd never used InsulBrite HeatnBond Lite or iron-on vinyl before. If you have any questions about the materials, please ask!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009 09:39:45 PM by DivaLea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
schnerby
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 05:21:22 AM »

Thank you for all the details. This kind of information is very useful!

I like the way it turned out and it seems very practical. The tag is a great touch. You stitched the patch on nicely. Somehow my zigagging goes awry when I try to do that.  Huh

I hope it gets lots of use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 05:35:27 AM »

That looks great, though I have no idea who that character is...   Tongue  I've been looking at this very similar tutorial (http://foofanagle.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/bagsket-tutorial/) for making lunch bags for my girlies.  I have some of the Insulbrite and some iron-on vinyl, so I might just have to give it a shot.  I'll bet your daughter is excited about having her very own personalized lunch bag! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunamadre
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009 07:24:41 AM »

This is awesome.......I had no idea there was glow in the dark thread!  Where do you find that anyway?  Very cool...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009 07:36:50 PM »

Thank you for all the details. This kind of information is very useful!

I like the way it turned out and it seems very practical. The tag is a great touch. You stitched the patch on nicely. Somehow my zigagging goes awry when I try to do that.  Huh

I hope it gets lots of use.

You're welcome.
My zigzagging's not perfect, and it's obvious when I looked at it in the dark, the glowing thread showed everyplace I'd gotten in a hurry. (Like those red tablets to show where you missed brushing.)

The trick is just practice, practice, practice, with a good needle and at least two thicknesses of fabric. I did stitch through the fabric and InsulBrite at the same time.

ETA: I remembered something that will REALLY help your applique zigzagging look better! Set the top tension on your machine very low so the bobbin thread pulls the top thread to the back. You'll have a nice clean edge to the zigzag line.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 08:22:47 PM by DivaLea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009 07:46:25 PM »

That looks great, though I have no idea who that character is...   Tongue  I've been looking at this very similar tutorial (http://foofanagle.wordpress.com/2007/06/26/bagsket-tutorial/) for making lunch bags for my girlies.  I have some of the Insulbrite and some iron-on vinyl, so I might just have to give it a shot.  I'll bet your daughter is excited about having her very own personalized lunch bag! 

I'd take this pattern over the bagsket, pretty as it is. I HATE sewing circles into tubes! The bottom on this one is shaped like a Jordy bag, by sewing across the corners. Well, look at the instructions, you'll see what I mean.

My daughter is stoked, and she's in 10th grade!

I say GO FOR IT! It's a very satisfying project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009 08:19:23 PM »

This is awesome.......I had no idea there was glow in the dark thread!  Where do you find that anyway?  Very cool...

I think the stuff I used I got from an online store BUT! Coats and Clark makes a glow-in-the-dark thread, too. I found a spool at Wal-Mart!
Be sure and use a machine needle for "embroidery" when you sew with GITD thread. An embroidery needle has a groove up the back so the needle doesn't shred your thread.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009 09:49:08 PM by DivaLea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009 07:40:15 AM »

Awesome lunch tote!!  You're a good mommy!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OpheliasLily
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009 11:17:17 AM »

Great work - it looks so professional! I love crisp corners too. By the by, your tags - did you make them too? They are so clever. I really ought to start using them. I don't even sign my art yet...
    Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009 02:06:00 PM »

I love Evangelion! Very nicely done. I may just have to make one myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashley Bryan Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Tori Spelling Talks About Her Book
Duck for President Book Trailer
Erin Rooney Doland Talks About Unclutter Your Life in One Week
Naomi Wolf Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...