A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,718
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Wrap - Baby Nomade  (Read 18222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gnarlyis3
Jessica R

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2009 02:20:40 AM »

It took a chunk of fabric but it was a huge hit as a baby gift and was really quick. My sister-in-law ended up using it as a quick and cozy swaddle at bedtime as well as an outdoor wrap. Her kid adored the minky and it put her to sleep every time. Now her friends are making them to give as gifts or use with their babies.
The pattern is in french - you can get the gyst by using translator sites but it is an easy pattern and the pics tell the story if you are relatively practiced seamstress/seamster. You can find the pattern at www.kallou.fr

Note: I made the smaller pattern first and sent it to my SIL and by the time the little preemie had hit about 10 pounds my SIL (who doesn't sew at all) was absolutely frantic due to the fact that the little marshmallow was about to burst it's seams. I ended up having to make the larger one at that point and send it along so that the kid would take her naps on time.

Addendum!:
I translated the French tutorial into English. To see the photos that go with the tutorial (tuto) , go to the site ( http://www.kallou.fr/blog/tuto-numero1/ ) for the text...

Step 1: Print the pattern in size 1 (0 / 4 months) or size 2 (5 / 6 months). Assemble the various pieces of A4 paper to get the complete pattern.
Cut out the different pieces of the pattern, namely:
- a back
- a hood
- the leg covering
- the belt (2 pieces).
Here I am making my baby wrap with double face polar fleece.
For the summer, I have wraps using a layer of cotton fabric on the outside and flannel on the inside, and in winter, cotton with fleece lining (see photos in the gallery).
The assistant, Sacapusse, is optional! ;-)

Step 1a:
It's time to embroider, applique or otherwise decorate the hood or customize the baby wrap. This is obviously optional! I embroidered a sheep (for a change!) on the hood.

Step 2:
I start by putting bias tape around the border of the inside elements of the wrap, namely going along the bottom of the hood, the top of the leg cover and around the two pieces of belt, as illustrated.

Step 3:
Once the pieces are thus boardered with bias, I place the different elements on my back piece, and I pin.

Step 4:
To simplify my task, for the following step I sewed together the different parts of the wrap stitching very near the edge (left photo). This avoids having your edges become uneven (4 sure to happen if you have a liner) and shift about when you sew on the bias tape... (you can see the difference if you don't!). Then I even up the edges with my rotory cutter (I am big fan!) to have an even edge to all the layers.

Step 5:
The most delicate border is the bias that must be sewn at the crotch. I start here by carefully pinning through this area. I took care to leave a nice length end-piece free (you'll understand why later). Finally, carefully sew the bias on at a reduced speed. (If there are pros who pass by and know how best to put bias on in this cramped inside circular area, I'm all ears!!!)!

Step 6:
Now the easy part, stitch all the way the wrap, being careful to catch all different thicknesses inside the bias tape. I use a bias tape foot (left). Obviously, we can do the same thing without this little gaget, But we must recognize that it saves much time and that the seam is very clean ... For a nice finish to the bias, I also left a large piece free at the end (right photo).

Step 7:
Try to persuade your faithful assistant that you no longer need his help, or at least full bodily 'help' down on what you are trying to do. If simple asking and conjolery isn't enough, trick him with a game of "Sakapuss, What is under this pile of extra fabric?". He will pout 30 cm below the stack of fabric you just bought .... But at least I can continue to the end of my baby wrap and my tutorial!

Step 8:
Here's how I ended my bias. I find where the two ends of the bias come together and make a good crease in the bias tape at that point, pin the tails beyond the crease so that you will know if the bias slips then turn it over and sew a tack on the crease line to make an inside seam. Snip any long ends then the corners. This should give something like the picture above. You understand why I left two large pieces of free is to be able to do this seam! Then I finished sewing on the bias tape (left), I found the length matched not too badly ... but if there is someone who really knows how to do this (because it is the sauce, Kallou!!), I'm listening!

<<TOP OF PAGE 4>>
You should have something that looks like this! Not bad, eh??!!

Step 9:
Position and sew the Velcro on the belt. Then I positioned the two pieces of belt in place on the back cover, and I sew them down. I finally sew the Velcro on the cover making certain that the pieces of Velcro opposite each other are different types, otherwise it will not stick! And voila, it's done! You can sit in rapture, thinking about the happy baby destined to rest in this wonderful blanket... after which, please send a small picture to Kallou to take part in the Baby Nomade gallery!

FAQ and Tips
Q: Is the belt really indespensable?
A: I would say yes. Babies wiggle their feet a lot and the belt and keeps the flap of the leg covering up.
Q: Is the Velcro on the the main part of the wrap really necessary?
A: Like the Velcro for the belt, it is useful to keep baby in the blanket or he undresses competely in less time than it takes to say! On the question of how Velcro ruins other clothes, I have not found anything better yet...
Q: Why not sew the leg covering further up along the sides? Will this will really keep baby inside?
A: Some have tried this... and, after testing it on the baby, they take out the extra sewing. The idea behind this wrap is to dress or undress the child quickly and easily ... and having to thread the child into the leg covering (like pants) is a much more complex maneuver without adding any real improvement!

<<ABOVE THE PHOTO>>
FAQ made from back issues of questions most often asked on the forums de Bulle de Nature, Magic Maman et l'Arbre a bebe.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 06:05:25 PM by gnarlyis3 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoops & Scissors, Needles & Thread.
Don't loose pins while on the bed!
Sandroo

Mine is an evil laugh!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 06:32:38 AM »

How adorable!  It DOES look really soft and cozy.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaylala
Absurd!

But I don't want to be among mad people...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 06:45:19 AM »

Oh my goodness!!! Soooo adorable! You've got my baby fever flaring up again! lol!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's absurd, I love it!
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009 06:57:59 AM »

Fantastic!
Im in a sewing mood and this might hit the spot!
Thanks a bunch for sharing
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Snowmami
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009 11:33:31 AM »

I love it! WHat size pattern did you use? I am debating between 0-4 and 4-9 months
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SillySlippers
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009 10:03:09 PM »

So cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
Rama
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009 06:03:08 AM »

When I try to download the pattern it says I need a password, but I don't know where to sign up. How did you do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jeana77
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010 09:38:51 AM »

I too can not figure out how to download the pattern, I am pretty sure it says that I need a password:( But this is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J.Rocks
I Sew Rock!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
15-Minute Apricot Yogurt Parfaits
How to Make Nutella-Stuffed Cronut Holes
Get Your DQ Blizzard Fix Noon or Night With This Home Hack
Deep-Dish Plum-Almond Pie Recipe
Red, White and Blue Trifle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...