A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Puffed sleeves?  (Read 5459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2004 04:35:01 PM »

I've become completely enamoured with puffed sleeves, I think they are just so sweet!
I bought some amazing vintage fabric from the thrift store the ohter week, and I can just see it as a summer short sleeved blouse.

I've been looking at patterns, but I can't seem to find anything with puffed sleeves (and not like huge sleeves, something like this:

<<removed link to broken image>>  (built by wendy blouse!)

How would I modify a pattern to a lot more room in the top of the sleeve, to make it puffed, and how would i do the actually 'puffing' itself?
I've never actually sewn a blouse before, but I have used a pattern, and taken a sewing class, so I think I know a little about modifying patterns.  

Huh??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 06:18:17 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed link to broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejordy

koala bears instead of cockroaches!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004 05:27:41 PM »

well im sorry i cant be of any help.. i just wanted to say that i too, LOVE the puffy sleeve. i bought a jean jacket with puffy sleeves! swoon!

xo

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingschool.org - Sewing is Fun!
------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED Jordy Bag Pattern - Now with illustrations: www.jordynnmackenzie.com
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004 08:33:44 PM »

Try Simplicity #5872.  (Go to  www.simplicity.com and click on "Design Search" just to the right of the Simplicity logo, the search for the pattern number.)  This looks like a good basic pattern, with a nice array of varying designs, and I think it could easily have pockets added, sleeves shortened, etc to your heart's content.  Also, check out the fabulous version made with sheer material.  You'll have to search by the menu at left to find it, under appearal, womens, tops-vests-jackets and then tops, then click through till you see the pattern number.  It's really too cool.

Butterick #4049 has a nice puffed sleeve, but has a high collar and front panel that gives it an almost victorian flavor.  Again, I think it could be modified to be a very nice summer shirt.

McCall's #3925 is a nice little pattern that appears to include both puffed and non-puffed sleeves, and short or long, which I think would be a good pattern to have just to understand the neccessary modifications.  Plus, it looks like a very nice blouse.

Vogue #2701 is a nice basic fitted blouse with puffed sleeves.  And it's got both regular and extra long sleeve-cuffs.  I LOVE those extra long cuffs!

All in all, I'd say the Simplicity pattern is closest to what you pictured, and probably easiest to modify to your desires.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
wizkid
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004 08:56:55 PM »

Ok, I shall try to explain this the best I can online.

You start with your pattern, and cut it in a line from the place where it starts to fan out into the round part of the sleeve. From there, cut four lines from the outer edge of the sleeve to the line.

The right hand picture shows the cut lines.

Then you spread the four parts of the sleeve apart, keeping the bottom corners together. There should be triangle-shapes in between each one. Retrace the pattern, and this will be your final pattern.

The red outline is the final pattern.

From here, to set the sleeve in-

Sew two lines of basting stitches on the rounded edge of the sleeve. Then pull on the top threads to scrunch it up. Scrunch it until it fits the sleeve hole, and pin it in place. Then sew it in!

Hopefully that made sense, pm me if you have any other questions!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004 08:57:52 PM by wizkid » THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
mamabunnycat
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 09:49:33 AM »

it made perfect sense!
i too have a puffy sleeved denim jacket!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004 10:44:03 AM »

Thanks for the pattern ideas Lothruin I'll have to have a closer look at them at the fabric store!!!

And THANKS! to wizkid, if the patterns don't work out, now I will be well prepared to make my own! I'll make sure to test it out a some scrap fabric first, I wouldn't want to ruin my irreplacable vintage fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EinsZweiDrei
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004 02:37:18 PM »

if you search under "leg of mutton sleeve" you'll probably find something. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004 03:20:59 PM »

leg of mutton ? ewww what a horrible name for a sewing term. ick ick ick.
but that sihrt is amazing. let us know how you get on.. i'd love a tuturial with pictures : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004 09:49:45 PM »

Thanks J'ai la peau douce!, that term is funny, but it works! i've found some useful websites.

Toast, I am going to get my pattern tomorrow, so hopefully I will have finished it within a few weeks!! I'll post pics, and maybe some guidelines for modifying sleeves if i get it right! Smiley

I'M SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scenequeenpissed

shut up and dance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004 10:09:59 AM »

WHERE IS EVERYONE GETTING THIS PUFFY SLEEVED JEAN JACKET ?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pug Pupcake
Ice Cream Bread Recipe
How to Make Chunky Monkey Bonbons
I-DIY Surrealist Gingerbread Cookie Art With Maayan Zilberman
How to Make Gummy Bear Popsicles
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...