A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my favourite shawl  (Read 3433 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rucniradovi
« on: September 05, 2009 09:21:31 PM »

I ve been weaving for a couple of years, mostly during winter. I m self thought, after one of my friends showed me basic things, I experimented, and I ve made so far maybe 20 pieces, most of them I gave away to my friends and family. I have few photos, this is one of my favorites. I can t describe well because I m still not familiar with the English terms, but I hope I will learn.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 09:31:02 AM by kittykill - Reason: Fix picture » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skippityskipskipskip
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009 11:21:31 AM »

Beautiful!  Just beautiful.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rucniradovi
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009 03:02:36 PM »

Thanks for the comment. Smiley I m learning English terms slowly...so, I could say a little bit more. Warp threads were just pure cotton scraps I found in one big basket in a big store, one cotton factory closed so they just wanted to get rid of that, and had no idea how to use them, plus, they were in too strong colors for my taste. I wished to try to weave with two stick shuttles and see what would happen. I think I tried with one or two weft threads at first but i didn t like how it turned out. Finally, in most of parts I used 3 threads twisted together,one would add color the other would 'fill the space', the third maybe gave a bit of softness. And then when I finished and wrapped around me it looked a bit oriental, which I liked. It s very warm and I wear often in winter time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009 11:31:33 AM »

I don't know the english term for that weaving either, except to say that it is wonderful!

Beautiful work! You must have long winters to put so much time into those pieces.

What kind of loom are you using?

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rucniradovi
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009 12:25:54 PM »

Thanks. Smiley It s sort of (horizontal)Scandinavian loom. It s in my photo gallery (i don t know how to paste it here, blushhh)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009 12:34:15 PM by rucniradovi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009 08:45:03 PM »

If your gallery is online, copy and paste the web address (URL) to a message in reply and it will serve as a link for us to jump to.

Here is a link to my weblog: Franco's Fiber Adventure
http://francosfiberadventure.blogspot.com/

There are some pictures of my recent projects on there. My projects are quite humble compared to the excellent complexity of your weaving. But they are fun for me to do.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rucniradovi
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009 03:29:54 AM »

It s simple and nice.
Here s my loom
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maja505/3899315783/
I uploaded photos from my computer to photo gallery on this site (craftster photo hosting option?) but can t find option to paste on this topic.The first picture was inserted by moderators, I guess.
Anyway, even with that simple form of loom (i m not sure what type that is, but i can guess) the possibilities are endless!!! You can even make lace. (I call it 'old Mexican double' but i m not sure if that s the right name) I have one interesting piece I can take a picture of sometime. What I discovered is that the structure of thread (fiber)plays such an important role in the final effect. Sometimes, expensive and nice colored fiber can result in boring piece and sometimes some scraps can make a miracle. It s good to make experiments, you can learn a lot Smiley
(sorry for my English)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009 08:44:56 PM »

I saw the loom and pictures! Very nice!

I think the "mexican double" is called "mexican leno" where one warp strand is carried over the next warp strand then the weft is put through.

The regular leno is one strand over one strand or one over two.

And you can bake!

Sounds like you are ready for another winter!

Thank you for posting the link to your gallery.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rucniradovi
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009 04:20:11 AM »

You re welcome.  Smiley
Yes, the way you described that s it. This technique is a bit time consuming but what I do I just add one or two rows for the effect, as on this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maja505/3906692512/
The rest is just simple 1,3 - 2,4 weaving. This technique is also good if you wish to accent the colors of the warp strands that would otherwise have been too covered and not visible enough.
(as for the winter time, oh yes, I have one scarf that i call 'blanket' for real cold Wink I hate winter... Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francorios
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009 06:40:46 AM »

That shawl with the leno is great with the warp stripes. I've done leno with plain colors
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310863.0

But the way the colors play with the leno twisting makes a very attractive accent.

I must try that soon.

I'm in Sacramento California. Our winters here are not very cold or very long. For snow we have to drive 50 miles (80 km) to the mountains in the winter.

It gets very hot here in summer. Often over 100F (38C) temperature in summer and late fall. Like today will be 100F. I like cotton shirts very much in this weather.

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ritz Cracker Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Tangy Grilled Salmon Filet Recipe
Devilish Deviled Eggs Recipe
Cajun Shrimp Sauté Recipe
Succulent Grilled Ribeye Steak Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...