A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Attack of the Anglerfish!" or Fish Bed for a Chihuahua (Image Obese!)  (Read 24518 times)
Tags for this thread: simplicity_9004 , fish , dog_bed , anglerfish , pet_bed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ajmaley
Harper and Herper

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2009 05:25:23 PM »

Kandi, the pomeranian chihuahua, was all alone on a deep sea expedition when suddenly she sensed danger approaching.

She barked and barked for help, but, as she was in the deep sea, there was no one around to save her.

It was a fierce struggle, but since Kandi isn't a real dog and can't hold her own again anything, it wasn't very long before Kandi was overwhelmed and the deep sea anglerfish began to eat her . . .

. . . and eat her some more . . .

Pretty soon she was all eaten up!

The moral of the story is, if going on a deep sea expedition, an iddy biddy dog is a poor choice to fend off sea monsters!

Ok, enough funny stuff, time to get down to business. This is the cat bed pattern from Simplicity 9004. I found the directions to be somewhat screwy in some places (which I've noted other craftsters saying similar things) but some of that may be due to my inexperience with sewing patterns--this being the first one I've really tried to follow in almost a decade. I did alter the construction of the thing a bit, I found that by following the pattern's instructions, you ended up with a big unfinished seam on the inside. Hence I decided to do it the way I thought it should go, which, for once, actually worked and it now has nice seams on the inside. Speaking of which, the inside is lined with light green fleece, the outside is all cotton of one form or another. I added extra embroidery on the outside with glow in the dark embroidery floss and I found a glow in the dark rubber ball (a cat toy from the supermarket) which I sliced in half for the eyes, so when you turn the lights off . . .

Muahahaha! Speaking of which, since I decided to make this a deep sea anglerfish (which do really exist, do have the lure on the head, and do glow in the dark (bioluminescence). . a la "Finding Nemo" http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/cartoons/cartoon_images/finding_nemo_dory_marlin_angler_fish.jpg), I added the lure to the top of the head. The ball on the end of the lure I made by sewing up some of the fabric from the body, and I took glow in the dark puff paint and added a dot on each of the spots of the fabric. Thus, this is the result when you turn off the light:

And on a note on the dog, she has yet to really take to this thing. She had to be persuaded to go inside it. She loves to burrow under blankets and such so I'm somewhat aggravated at her for not loving this stupid fish, it took me 6 months to sew, by hand (off and on, I didn't work on it constantly). Does anyone have suggestions for this problem? Otherwise, it's a nifty yarn holder . . . ;-)

But I suppose its all worth it when this is the result, however persuaded it may be:

Comments? Questions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009 05:32:44 PM »

that was hysterical!  funny funny Cheesy  Nice job on the fishy. I have that pattern and have heard as well it was a stinker to do so I've hesitated actually starting it.  Have the fabrics..just intimidated.  I love the glow in the dark stuff embellishments...nice, very nice.  Good job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
violetta27
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 05:35:30 PM »

Love the bed! and your little Kandi too!  I also have a small burrowing dog who I made a bed for and she looked at me like I was nuts and refused to go anywhere near it.  Hope you have better luck especially since you made such a great looking bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elwynceltic
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009 05:42:57 PM »

Lol, looks like you had the perfect model! Great job on the bed, I bet it will grow on its new owner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 05:43:39 PM »

What an adorable story...and doggy! And I like the glow in the dark features. This is one of my favorite pet crafts, but I don't know if I'd ever attempt to make one. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
Geek Love
Suicidal Romantic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009 06:14:27 PM »

aw that's horribly adorable.. Kandi looks a lot like my mother in laws dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Burning every bridge that I cross to find some beautiful place to get lost.

My Wist!
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009 07:20:04 PM »

This is just hilarious -- I would love an anglerfish bed for our cat Sonja!  It's certainly a conversation piece.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scissorbrit
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009 01:03:42 PM »

This is amazing!!!! I wish my puppy would get inside something like that... Also I wish I had the talent to even make something that cool! the glow in the dark parts- seriously awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009 06:32:03 AM »

That is SO darling!  I love your little puppy and her fight with the fish! 
I can't believe that you sewed that by hand, it's amazing!  I've not tried that pattern, but I've noticed that EVERY pattern I've used in the last year, including my vintage ones, is either missing a step or has an instruction that just doesn't make sense or assumes that you just know how to do something, like attaching a collar.  *shrug*  As long as it makes you happy, it's done right!
ANYWAY, so cute, totally worth the time.  Now I really wish I had little dogs!

Oh!  As for how to lure her into it, you could try putting something in that she likes, something in that smells comforting to her, or just straight bribe her with treats.  Cheesy  I would go with a combination, take a piece of fabric and either get my scent on it or hers (by putting it under her when she sleeps), then shove that in there.  And then I'd train her to go in, then to lay down and finally, to sleep there, the entire process liberally interspersed with treats, lots and lots of treats.  Cheesy  Most likely, fancy treats that she never got otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009 09:01:30 AM »

Grin This "rocks"! I love the story (and your adorable doggie) - and would love one of my own Wink I just need one that is kid-sized... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Model Release
Photography Tips - Taking Panoramic Photos
Choosing a Media Card For Your DSLR Camera
Eliminate Background Chaos
Panning For Motion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...