A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So i've made a bunch of these quilt blocks...  (Read 538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2009 03:48:16 PM »

But they are not all the same size....They have weird edges, ends, etc. Some are off my 1" or more from the template. This is my first quilt where I did something other than just sew precut squares together.

They are kind of a square in a square/log cabin/window pane type blocks.  Some have 1/2"-1" extra hanging off a side, others are 1/2" bigger than the rest.

Basically, i sucked at the measuring part.

So, if I want to put them together, should i somehow cut them to all the same size? And how do i do that? I am kind of clueless here.

If you need pictures to help me, I'll try to take and upload some today.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
danni42683
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009 08:40:04 PM »

I recently made a wonky log cabin quilt, all the blocks ranged from 1/4-3/4inch off from eachother. I had made them bigger than I actually needed then so I could later square them up. What I did was once I was done I used a 12 1/2 INCH square quilting ruler. layed it on top of the block and cut (using a rotary cutter) around two sides, I then turned my whole cutting mat around and cut around the other two sides. being that the ruler is clear you can lay it on the part of the block that you want to keep and square it up very easily.  Using one ruler you can cut a square from 1 inch up to 12 1/2 inches. they are fairly cheap and you can get one even cheaper from Michael's or Joann's or well any chain craft store with a coupon!

If you have a block that is to small for the rest of them was it a pattern that you can add an extra round to? sometimes you don't HAVE to go by the pattern when making certain quilts you can add a row or decrease a row and it won't make it look bad, other quilts this doesn't quite work for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 09:03:33 PM »

Thanks Danni --

I think I need to get a 10.5" square since they range in size from 10-12 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
cre8fmom
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009 12:49:35 AM »

I recently bought these at my local Joann's with a coupon- great deal and I have used them so much already!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat643844&PRODID=xprd140387

Omnigrid Value Pack 1-4/Pkg

New Omnigrid quilt tools from Dritz! Assortment pack contains one each of 4-1/2", 6-1/2", 9-1/2" and 12-1/2" squares. Each has extra 1/2" for seam allowances and diagonal angle line. Use to cut, square and trim blocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extreme selvage quilter
danni42683
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009 06:49:00 AM »

It would be worth your wild to get at least a 12 1/2 in and then you can still use itto make smaller squares..

If you look at the puicture the RED lines are the 10 inch square (if you have room to add seam allowance you would cut to the 10 1/2 lines)....so what you would do is lay the block on your mat, then lay your square ruler on top of it, cut along the GREEN lines, and then pick the ruler up and line the two sides that you just cut with the right measurments on the inside (red lines)and cut along the green lines again! then you have a square block!

I hope this is clearer than mud...Bottom line, buy big and you get more use out of it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009 06:19:16 AM »

I agree with danni:  go with the 12.5" square ruler.  12" blocks are a common quilt block size so don't limit yourself with a 10.5" ruler when you can use the 12.5" ruler that is marked for all sizes up to 12.5." I'm an acrylic ruler pack rat so those sets cre8fmom mentioned are awesome--only I don't like the yellow lines on the Omni-grid rulers (for some reason I can't see with all of those yellow lines in the way!); I have the Olfa set instead which just has black lines.

Anyway...  I wouldn't trim your blocks DOWN to match the smallest size block; I would measure the largest size and add borders to make all of the smaller blocks that size.  I've received blocks in two block swaps that were the wrong (too small) size.  I added over-sized borders to the edges then trimmed those edges down to the right size.  The reason I purposely made the extra borders a little too big and then trimmed them down is that I was dealing with 1/4" - 1/2" additions, and it was too difficult for me to sew strips of fabric that small.

HTH.  Make sure to post photos of your finished quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Poach Pears
How to Make Grilled Cheese Ice Cream Sandwiches
15-Minute Apricot Yogurt Parfaits
How to Make Nutella-Stuffed Cronut Holes
Get Your DQ Blizzard Fix Noon or Night With This Home Hack
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...