A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little apartment / ex-mezzanine (vintage lovers may like taking a peep)  (Read 4366 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2009 07:38:48 AM »

What to do if you break up and you're left with no money? Luckily you're 25 and you have a full life in front of you. If you have really sweet parents, you can go back home and make dad's old office in something cosy & private for yourself.
My parents have a metal processing company. They started small in a building next to our house. A couple years ago they've build a new factory in the neighbourhood. So the old place was left a bit empty, full of mess and dirt  Tongue
They almost rent it to another factory when I came knocking on their door. I think they were happy secretly because if they would rent it out part of their privacy would be gone. After all, home and 'working home' (it's how we call it Smiley) are connected by the garden.
So in May I started cleaning and painting the place. It is just half of the complete building, a kind of mezzanine. You enter the house, then it is divided in oily dusty ground-floor and upstairs somewhat less oily dusty office. First pictures will make it more understandable  Wink

After this work was done, my dad made walls to close the mezzanine.

In the time before I started painting, I already found these light bulbs in the thrift shop. I really love them!

At the moment, it isn't finished yet but I can already live in it with my two cats. (They moved out of my ex-appartment only three weeks ago and one of them is still very afraid and only comes out at night.)
There is still some work to do: plexiglass needs to be placed in the big windows, electricity stuff....

But as you can see, it is getting very cosy. Because I am thrift shop obsessed, you'll not find anyting new in my apartment. (Except for the bed  Wink)

Some of my earlier crafty projects are also present. We can play a "find them" game Grin
- Let the sunshine in desk chair http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249236.msg2765862#msg2765862
- Dressform lamp http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=243479.msg2688468#msg2688468
- Ugly pipe wrapped in sisal rope http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=319983.msg3687353#msg3687353(posted this today, here you can also meet my cat Basel)

Wish I could invite some of you for a cup of tea, but I live far away in Belgium... But I hope you liked this post!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 08:26:52 AM by lexi_icedrink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
tomb_bloom
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009 09:18:12 AM »

I love this - Great Space!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roterosen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 09:28:06 AM »

That is so cool. It sounds like you have wonderful parents, break ups with homes involved can be the worst, glad to hear you got such a cool deal out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEVER apologize for your art
alorralora
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009 12:24:16 PM »

The lights really works with that ceiling.  Looks like you have a lot of room.  I really liked the cat post, I think your dad needs to leave it like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 06:09:28 PM »

Your space is awesome, I wish mine was as cool as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
lady4feet
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009 10:05:08 PM »

You've done a great job with your space. I love the lights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009 10:22:21 AM »

Great recon.  Looks really snazzy and retro!  I'm curious, though--do you have kitchen and bathroom facilities up there on the mezzanine/ loft level, or do you have to go downstairs for all that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009 05:22:16 AM »

I'm curious, though--do you have kitchen and bathroom facilities up there on the mezzanine/ loft level, or do you have to go downstairs for all that?
At the moment I have to go downstairs, but there will be a little bathroom in the near future (look behind door)  Smiley
My most recent project is a cat door /  hungry frog that I made, but I'm waiting for my camera batteries to load. Thanks for all the nice comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
Yeyois
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009 10:15:36 AM »

This is a fantastic space! I love the front door and the hanging lights. Very innovative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laura Mercier: How to Flawlessly Apply Your Foundation
Best Dressed at the Hollywood Film Awards
A Fabulous Fall Look You Need to Try Now
Office Chic: Look Good for Your 9-5 in No Time
Full Face Flawless Foundation in 5 Steps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...