A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gold Mine 50th Birthday Cake Way pic heavy!  (Read 14497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2009 12:21:45 AM »

Since I'm turning 50, I wanted to do something representing my "Golden Jubilee Year". Let me say that I did not use candles, or put any writing on it, because it would be shared with other Sept. Birthdays at our congregation's lunch.
I purchased just under  $10.00 worth of items, but ended up needing to buy extra cake mixes. So some items on reciept were unused. Here's the list of what was actually used, and what came from the house.
Dollar Store:1 brownie mix,1 pk trail mix, 1 box caramel corn, 1 necco wafers,($.59.)
1 pk. chocolate wafer cookies 1 pkg. small pretzels, 1 pkg. black licorice
Since the dollar store was out of cake mixes, we bought 3 at .99 from the grocery store. The items originally purchased and not used are: 1pk. Lg. pretzels, 1 bag animal cookies, 1 roll gold wrapping paper
The items from the house were: 3 cake mixes(total 6+1 brownie box),cakeboards, gold fabric,elastic,thread, fabric scraps,glass beads, pebbles, sugar, shortening, butter, food coloring, eggs,paint, glue , coconut, led light.
My mom and I did this together. I made all the miniature decorations. She baked and assembled the cakes. This was entirely my design. I chose all the placement details, as she made the icing, and shaped the mountain.
This cake has: 3 inchie shacks, dynamite, bags of gold, 2 camp fires, 3 pup tents, 7 gold mining rail cars, a 3-pc. sluice box, a pile of gold, a waterfall and lake, 30 trees, shovels and pick axes, a lighted tunnel. And ladders made of pretzels. It is Chocolate with Almond flavored butter frosting. I will put extra pics on my members gallery, since this may not accept very many here. Thanks for looking!
Hope you look at all the other pics I loaded up!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 06:16:47 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bewtchngeyez
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009 01:18:03 AM »

That is so cute and fun. You must have had a lot of fun putting that together, I know I would. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Insert witty craft related signature here... Tongue
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 03:05:19 AM »

Oh my goodness!!  Your attention to detail is amazing. Cheesy  I adore the little rail cars and dynamite sticks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009 07:35:26 AM »

Man, I so want to eat that. Great job K. I've already started on the other down side of that mountain. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 03:37:19 PM »

And We did eat it today! We fed between 75 and 100 people, and had lot's left over to give away! I saved the top layer of the mountain, and all the props . Thanks, Lovesclutter for the inchie house pattern! It really came in handy. That Almond flavored icing was the bomb! One guy said he ate six pieces. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone's reaction to it, even if I don't win this challenge, It was this challenge that kicked it off!
Thanks Craftster! K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psychonmemphis
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009 08:12:11 PM »

wow very nice job, i wish you had a pic for size reference though but very nice job! i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

13 Days of Halloween: co-organizing
Coraline swap rd 4: organizing
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/psychonmemphis
I would really like to swap for a quilt for christmas, i will swap anything from supplies,crafts to my etsy shop items! please pm me asap!
retromac

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009 09:13:45 PM »

So much fun! Good to see another 50ish craftster is online (I made the owl clock).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009 09:18:25 PM »

Thanks Psychonmemphis! For size reference, here's some measurements....The bottom board the cake is sitting on is 22" in diameter. The cake started with a 14" round, 2'5" deep. The next layer was a 12" round, then a 10" fluted pan, topped with a mound of small brownie squares. The height was about 12" all together.The tunnel was a 5" deep piece of a 4"diameter  cardboard tube, with a slice cut out to have a flat ,open side. The small pretzels the trees were made out of were 3" long. Plus, to get shaping, pieces of cake were carved up and "Pasted" into place, widening the bottom at some points. wafer cookies are 1"x 3", and it took one cookie to make each box car, with the layers sliced apart with the craft knife to get the thin pieces. I used Necco wafers for the wheels. The edible items were glued together with Royal Icing, which hardens. I used Black licorice cut in 4 strips each, for train tracks, with a full width piece for the car links. The tents and campfires were made of non-edibles, and I saved some of the pieces. The inchie houses were clipped on the roof edges, and weathered. they were done with markers, then water-colors, and stuck to plastic laminating film, sticky-side up, to keep the icing sanitary.The little LED light is re-usable, up to 100 hrs. The inchie house on top of the mountain covered the light unit. I think I could make miniatures "all day long!"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009 12:53:15 AM by KLKing - Reason: More info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

psychonmemphis
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009 10:53:05 PM »

well you have my vote!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

13 Days of Halloween: co-organizing
Coraline swap rd 4: organizing
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/psychonmemphis
I would really like to swap for a quilt for christmas, i will swap anything from supplies,crafts to my etsy shop items! please pm me asap!
Kajikit
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009 05:23:27 AM »

It's adorable! Happy birthday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Karen aka Kajikit
My Craft blog - http://kajikit.blogspot.com
My Webshots Galleries - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Understanding Guides as Objects
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting up Rulers
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Understanding Master Pages
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Margins and Columns
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Images in a Slideshow
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...