A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Fall Scarf  (Read 2180 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mansonette
« on: September 04, 2009 08:43:02 PM »

I finished this the other day, and thought I'd share.  It took me almost a week because I did more relaxing than working on it. 

It is based on a scarf in the current issue of Crochet magazine, but theirs is with crochet thread, is much bigger, doesn't have a button, and would have taken a LOT more time.  I actually started one with crochet thread, but I didn't have enough patience.

It's pretty much a big triangle that I put a button on 1 end of and I can wrap the ends, crossing in the back, around my neck and button it through one of the holes underneath the front flap.  Does that make sense?  I really like how snug and comfortable it is, that it won't come unwrapped and the front flap is just the right size to fill the top opening of a coat.

If anyone wants to know the basic start, just let me know.  It's just the same stitches again and again, increasing at the sides.  I also put an edging on it that I just kinda winged. 

Sorry for the crappy webcam pics.  I just moved a little while ago and don't know where my camera cords are at the moment.  Hope you like it as much as I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampira_666
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 08:57:18 PM »

This is lovely!!!  I wish I could Crochet... so I could make myself stuff...

GREAT scarf!! I love it!

*wanna make me one in black?!?* Wink  Wink

**THIS ROCKS**
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
mansonette
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 09:29:00 PM »

Thanks Vampira_666.  It was fun and pretty quick to make.  I'm really diggin it.  I would totally teach you how to make it if I could.  It was about the easiest thing I've crocheted.

I would have made mine in black, but I have two all white cats so it wouldn't have stayed black for long.  Sad  They seem to get into everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunspotted
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009 07:01:21 AM »

Very nice.  I was looking at that pattern the other day and considering adapting it to some gorgeous jewel-tone bamboo yarn I have.  I just wasn't sure I'd have enough.  Do you remember how much yarn you used?  What size yarn?  What size hook?  Sorry for all the questions.  Smiley  Very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
mansonette
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 08:17:38 AM »

Ask away.

I do love how that pattern looks in the magazine.
I used Bernat worsted weight acrylic.  Despite the fact that it's acrylic, it's pretty soft.  I bought the 'Super Value' skein in the color Grass, so 7 oz/350 m/382 yds.  I had only a small handful of yarn left when I was done.  I don't think I could have added another row and had enough for the edging.  I used the recommended size H hook.  I started the pattern the way it says and just went with it until it was big enough to wrap around and have the ends touch.  Then I put the edging on, added a button and voila!

I'd like to see what yours looks like when you're done.  Bamboo yarn will make it incredible, and it will drape so nice.  I think this pattern is awesome for substituting different yarns. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunspotted
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009 08:47:17 AM »

Thank you.  I don't have much of this yarn, so I was thinking I'd use a larger hook (the yarn is sport weight) and just make it head kerchief size with a mock sc scallop border.   But I may not have enough even for that.  How ugly would the edges have been without a border do you think?  Or maybe just a simple crab stitch? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need something crocheted?  I'll swap amis, afghans, shawls or whatever for a box of yarn.  Smiley
mansonette
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009 10:33:21 AM »

I bet you'll be fine.  I would use either the recommended hook, or just one size bigger.  I think that way the stitches will still look pretty solid.  It really didn't need an edging either.  It has a nice finished look and I was going to forgo it, but I had enough yarn and was on a roll.  For a head kerchief you wouldn't really need one I wouldn't think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippiePunk

Oooh...shiny pretty objects!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009 04:22:08 PM »

I love the way yours turned out. It looks mad comfy. I also like the addition of the button closure and the edging. As for the required patience inherent in the original pattern, I made mine mostly for the experience of using size 10 thread and it was a bit tedious and hard on my fingers. On the flipside now I really want to try it with dk weight yarn after seeing yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We live in a rainbow of chaos
Cheiri
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009 06:07:48 PM »

Oh wow, I love that color! It looks great on you, so stylish. Just in time for the autumn season, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mansonette
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009 06:34:28 PM »

Thanks for the compliments. 

I started the pattern in crochet thread...a more bright grass green...but I just couldn't do it.  I still have the supplies so maybe I'll work on it a little hear and there.  I'm not much of a 'year round scarf just because' kinda girl, so the thicker yarn was the way to go.  I'm in Wisconsin, so some years we have a pretty lengthy cold streak.  Thankfully it's still nice and sunny here during the day, but the nights are just a foreshadowing of what is to come.  Burrrrrr.

I was wrong about the magazine name also.  It was Crochet Today.  I saw someone else posted their versions just a little bit ago and they look great too!  They are also with worsted weight yarn I believe.  I love how versatile this pattern is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using and Blending Color for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Create a Preliminary Layout of Your Chalk Drawing
How to Set Up and Lighting for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Draw with Chalk Pastel
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - Final Letters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...