A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I spent the last two summers knitting for the winter... (image heavy)  (Read 2598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

InkStainedHands
I'm just trying to keep sane.

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009 04:33:05 PM »

So, for the last two years (or for all of the summers of my life, really, except I suppose it's expected when you hit 17 and 18) I haven't been able to find a summer job. Hence, I was left with a lot of free time. What better way to get rid of the boredom than to knit?

These were knit last summer:

The scarf was knit using Patons Divine, in Bluegrass (which is a beautiful color, but apparently it's not available anymore). I used size 15 needles (I think...) and a drop stitch pattern, with ribbing on the ends.

(Isn't it beautiful?!)

There's not much yardage, so it's a fairly short scarf. Also, if anyone is considering working with Patons Divine, I must warn you: it's a great soft and bulky yarn, but it sheds. A LOT. I'm happy with it though because I got it pretty cheaply ($4 a skein!).

I knit this hat with Patons Divine in Richest Rose. I don't remember the needle size...It's either 11 or 8. I used this pattern (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/emelia/emelia.html) but I used different yarn and needles, and added a ribbon since the hat was loose around the rim (I think it looks better this way too  Grin).

With the remaining yarn, I knitted these legwarmers with size 8 needles (I'm wearing one with the reverse stockinette side showing, and one with the "right" side showing):

They're nothing special and a bit short, but I'm too lazy to start over.

Sometime, while I was browsing knitting patterns, I came across a photo of a scarf being worn in a bow. So this summer, I decided to knit a light scarf that I could wear in a similar fashion. I used Patons Kroy Socks in Mercury, knitted on size 8 needles. It can also double as a belt and headscarf, although the ends might be rather long.

A close-up of the stitch pattern:

I used the spiderweb stitch, which I found on a website somewhere, but now I can't find the link. I'm really, REALLY happy with how it came out. I haven't blocked it yet, and probably never will, since the stitches seem to show up well even without blocking.  Cheesy

Yay, knitting!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Genesis1:1
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 04:59:35 PM »

wow great stuff!  I was getting bored of kinitting but now you have inspired me!  Love the hat and the gray scarf/belt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 06:44:53 PM »

Beautiful knitting! I love all of your pieces. The close-up of the blue scarf is really breathtaking.

But stop covering your face, darling. You look like a pretty girl, and it kills me to see you hide from the camera like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009 04:10:30 AM »

Oh, those are gorgeous, and look really cosy.  I especially like the scarf/bow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
starlet518

crafty fashionistas unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009 03:14:17 PM »

that last scarf is sooo cute!! nice job on all your knitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if paths are steep and hard to climb, remember sometimes things take time Smiley
http://www.ravelry.com/people/kikistar
http://www.obsessionsofkikistar.blogspot.com/
InkStainedHands
I'm just trying to keep sane.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009 11:18:01 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the comments!!!  Cheesy

craftylittlemonkey: Good luck learning how to knit!

pikaboo26: Aww, thank you. Haha, I'm only hiding my face because of a slight (perhaps irrational?) paranoia about having recognizable photos of myself available for public view.  Grin I assure you, I can be a bit of a camera hogger (both behind and in front of the lens).

Genesis1:1: Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
syllycat
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009 11:57:57 AM »

I really, really, REALLY love the gray scarf tied in a bow. SO cute! Makes me want to knit one up real quick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. "  -H.L. Mencken
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009 10:36:37 PM »

pikaboo26: Aww, thank you. Haha, I'm only hiding my face because of a slight (perhaps irrational?) paranoia about having recognizable photos of myself available for public view.  Grin I assure you, I can be a bit of a camera hogger (both behind and in front of the lens).

Ah, okay. Sorry. Cheesy I just have so many body-image-phobic female friends that I just assumed. I completely understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
birdlittle

It is the beautiful bird which gets caged.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009 01:23:07 PM »

That grey bow scarf is the cutest scarf I have EVER seen! The second I get my hands on some yarn, I'm totally going to make something like that! SO CUTE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Hand Roll Sushi
Scattered Sushi
How to Garnish Your Sushi Rolls
Asian Vegetables with Soy Sauce Gravy Recipe
Sirloin Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...