A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron-On Vinyl is-a Makin' Me Crazy!  (Read 8807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2009 11:17:25 PM »

After many many swatch tests with good cotton fabric, "medium" heat (my iron's medium is on the high side) "low" heat (which is more medium), I still not seeing the awesomely smooth results I have seen online.

My best results HAVE been on pretty low heat. But what I'm seeing is, instead of vinyl laminated crisply to the fabric, is a lot of bubbles. The smoothest finish so far has been with low LOW heat, but it's still not a result that looks like a matte-shiny finish over a fabric.

So, is it me or the pictures? Does iron on vinyl just kind of bubble? Are the pictures hiding what I see as flaws in my samples? Is this just how it looks?

If anyone's gotten that super-nice finish as if they had sprayed on the vinyl, will you share what settings/pressure/ironing surface you used?

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 09:08:45 AM »

I've used it w/no probs & my iron is almost always at the highest setting. I use a regular iron board & I don't iron hard when I'm doing it, I kind of ease my iron over my piece & I don't go back & forth. Maybe you're staying in 1 spot too long or leaving your iron on too long or maybe it's your iron - is it old? Your setting might be too high. Why not see if you can borrow someone else's iron & try it out, if it works fine w/their's then it's your iron. Another thing you can try is using a press cloth (another piece of fabric will do) between the iron & the fabric, see if that would help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 03:04:22 PM »

Hey! I love your label-making tute!

My iron is fairly new and a nice one. I have been using the backing as per instructions, I'll add a cloth and see how/if it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009 05:06:30 PM »

I love your label-making tute!

Thanks. Let me know if using cloth helps that vinyl stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009 08:36:02 PM »

I'm curious to see if people have suggestions for this.. I've been wanting to use iron on vinyl for a while, but am a little nervous about it coming out nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polstar

only anarchists are pretty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 06:34:31 AM »

This kind of answers the question I asked above - I presume you use this to waterproof material and to use paper in sewing projects?
Now to find a supplier in the UK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You must not for one instant give up the effort to build new lives for yourselves. Creativity means to push open the heavy, groaning doorway to life. This is not an easy struggle. Indeed, it may be the most difficult task in the world, for opening
Daisaku Ikeda
ellemir
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 12:55:49 PM »

This kind of answers the question I asked above - I presume you use this to waterproof material and to use paper in sewing projects?
Now to find a supplier in the UK!
I get mine from Hobby Craft. it is with the interfacing in the haberdashery aisle.

And to second the views above I have always followed the instructions and got good results.
The problem may be the type of fabric used, as any texture in the fabric is seen in the final vinyl.
I get excellent results with quilting cottons and other tightly woven smooth fabrics.
Also, the smoother you apply it to the fabric, the smoother the final results. I use the same technique i used to cover books with sticky backed plastic when at school, peeling and applying a small end then gradually pulling the backing paper off while smoothing the vinyl down with the flat edge of a ruler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week Spring 2015: BCBGMAXAZRIA
Surprising Ways Corsets Will Improve Your Life
Three Ways to Wear One Little Black Dress
Celebrity Luxe for Less: Kendall Jenner
How John Varvatos Launched His Own Line
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...