A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
859 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROJECT RUNWAY: Season 6 - Episode 3 - Official Craftster Discussion Thread  (Read 4627 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway , project_runway_season_6_discussions  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruthie tuesday

'she's my brown eyed girl'

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009 03:08:52 AM »

wahhh i can't believe no-one has mentioned nicolas' blue&white lace number! it was brilliant, very avant-garde, like a futuristic sea-nymph. i love it.

i'm reluctant to say it but i'm happy mitchell has gone, only because his sewing skills have been somewhat absent & he said he wanted to be carried. does he remind anyone else (visually) of george from early episodes of grey's anatomy...?

hmm the neoprene dress might not be win-worthy, but it is impressive to produce such a delicate tulip-ish shaped skirt from neoprene. i'm a diver & understand how cumbersome it usually is as a fabric, so props to him for achieving what he did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parallax
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009 10:15:38 AM »

Regarding the neoprene look...
I wasn't crazy about it but I have two thoughts on why it won. First, it was made out of neoprene - the only avant-garde piece actually made of beach wear. That means a lot. Most of the avant-garde looks were just big, oversized fancy dresses. They couldn't be worn to the beach, the most any of them had to do with surf-inspired was color. Second, I think some of the detail work was hard to film, I don't think that we at home saw as many of the details in the garment as the judges were able to see.
I also think a lot of designers hear "avant-garde" and only get as far as "over-the-top" with their design. It seems that many don't think about what is making their piece radical, new or out-of-the-ordinary. Like at this point, how is the one-shouldered, foot high collar avant-garde? Everyone does it.
So while I didn't particularly care for the actual dress Ra'mon made, it seemed to me the closest to the mark.
Their regular look, though, I was really unimpressed with.
I much preferred Irina's look in that case, the macrame back was really lovely and a bit of a surprise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Is2sew
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009 10:29:06 AM »

I am glad that Mitchell is gone!  I would have been furious if the producers would have drug him out in this competition for more drama and to keep the audience attached to the show (as has been done with other PR series).  I like the neoprene dress, it was not my favorite but it did meet the brief closer than any other outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dellamae
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009 08:39:41 PM »

I have to say I'm another person glad that Mitchell is gone.  I have to wonder will the designers be required to use the models for every show now that the models have their own show.  Will there be no episodes where they have to dress the brides/ moms/ or male models.  I have tried watching Models of the Runway and I just can't get into it like Project Runway.  And that is saying a lot when Kalyn is from my hometown of Lake Jackson, Texas.
It ticked me off from the first episode when the model who had the winning designer got all these incredible prizes.  Yet the designer got nothing for all of his hard work besides being exempt in the next episode.  I think the designers deserve a little bigger prize also they did half the work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009 10:24:31 PM »

The neoprene was definitly a winner due to appropriate beach wear/inspiration, but I think it also had something to do with the fact Mitchell was such a crappy partner. I think the judges were feeling bad for Ra'mon and let him have it. The macrame backed dress should have taken the prize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009 12:12:15 PM »

Regarding the neoprene look...
I wasn't crazy about it but I have two thoughts on why it won. First, it was made out of neoprene - the only avant-garde piece actually made of beach wear. That means a lot. Most of the avant-garde looks were just big, oversized fancy dresses. They couldn't be worn to the beach, the most any of them had to do with surf-inspired was color. Second, I think some of the detail work was hard to film, I don't think that we at home saw as many of the details in the garment as the judges were able to see.
I also think a lot of designers hear "avant-garde" and only get as far as "over-the-top" with their design. It seems that many don't think about what is making their piece radical, new or out-of-the-ordinary. Like at this point, how is the one-shouldered, foot high collar avant-garde? Everyone does it.
So while I didn't particularly care for the actual dress Ra'mon made, it seemed to me the closest to the mark.

I agree! I think that was really the reason it won. I actually happened to like the dress.... especially the back, but he really seemed to be the only one to take into account that this was a surfwear challenge, and they wanted avant garde.... Everyone else was making ballgowns, or hooker-wear (Hahaha Nicholas), which really had no relevance to the task at hand at all. I don't know, I think what the judges were looking at was the shape of the dress.... I mean, really, no one is going to walk around in a neoprene dress, but it seems like if that dress had been made in another fabric, it would have been killer.

As for the macrame backed shirt and skirt combo.... outside of the macrame back, I felt like it was stuff I could pull out of my closet. That to me isn't designing. So, I guess what I am saying is, I think the winner was the right winner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
vinnie451
Onna Otaku

Craft or Die!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009 02:03:34 PM »

not many of the outgits seemed very surfer girl to me. Some were very nice but didn't seem to fit the theme. Only one or two looked like they would be wearable to the beach and none seemed to say sand and sun and beachy-ness. Did the designers even listen to the sugjestions of the clients? The macrame was closest and the neoprene made sense but everything else seemed like a cop out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now With Craft Blog - http://vinnie451craft.blogspot.com/

"Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great art can come from anywhere." Ego, Ratatouille
karimusbunch

details, details, details. it's gonna work out.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009 10:42:18 AM »

I have to wonder will the designers be required to use the models for every show now that the models have their own show.  Will there be no episodes where they have to dress the brides/ moms/ or male models. 

it looks like next week is the "prom dress" theme, and they'll probably be using high school girls, they've done this before...i agree with the posts that would like to see an alternate material challenge, anyone remember austin's dress from the first season?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009 01:12:04 PM »

I'll play devil's advocate: I kinda felt bad for Mitchell. Undecided  Everyone works differently and I don't think he "sucked" and everyone can't be friggin amazing all the time.
Maybe he was not ready yet for the competition yet,  but i would not jump to conclusions saying he was a bad designer or didn't have any skills. But I like to give ppl the benefit of the doubt. Felt bad for him when the model was a different size and he had to scrap the design. That sucks no matter how you put it, though, he clearly couldn't adapt fast enough. He needs some "work" before the big time.

as far the designs....kinda boring. except the neoprene, the clearly most creative design of the night....love it or hate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juniper_Ann
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009 07:31:55 PM »

Im with those who said neoprene dress was a mess.  But then, not being a big follower of runway fashion, I dont get avant garde anyway.  I mean, why is a bulbous neoprene dress so great?  Is I would wear it a good thing to say about avant garde? Why is Nicolass super-sexed sea creature a bad thing?  I thought it was interesting, and the comments about it being too sexy confused me.  Ive seen nipples on runways, and the neckline-down-to-the-bellybutton is practically a staple on this show, so why is a garter belt over a skirt way too over-sexed?  I also kinda liked the brown swimsuit of Qristyls designwhy was that torn down by the judges?   

My favorites were Altheas flowing white bali pants (didnt care for the top, no matter how much praise it got), Eppersons leafy green sundress, and Shirins under-bust cover-up. 

I'll play devil's advocate: I kinda felt bad for Mitchell.

I also felt bad for Mitchell in this challenge.  I think he was so stressed and overwhelmed that he just couldnt deal with it anymore, but I would have respected him more if he had acknowledged Epperson as the real team leader and tried to help him.  Im glad hes gone. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Evelyn Lozada on Celebrity Shoe Trends
First Chance to Shop Isabel Marant for H&M
Need to Know: Two Tone Trend, Nike FuelBand, and a "Food and Wine" Roundup
Vintage Bowles - Geoffrey Beene
Jeanius - Sylvana Ward Durrett
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...