A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The points system vs. general swap guidelines: what do you think?  (Read 8737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysmeine
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2009 06:32:29 AM »

I do like the point swaps, that said I always send over the requirements. Even with a size requirement swap, I did get disapointed. I received one of those construction paper bookmarks as a small, that did not disapoint me as much as the sheet of copy paper with words written on it for a medium, or the previously superman decorated hat with swap theme words added to it for a large. I consider that a three point package.

Obviously, there are varying degrees of skills and we all interpret things differently. By the most part I have been thrilled, wowwed, and excited to receive what my partners have sent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2010 09:11:50 AM »

I have to say I am a Points girl too!! When I org. I use the points now always Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2010 07:38:15 PM »

As a craftster who prefers the "one tiny thing" swaps and someone who carves stamps, I think the points system is a great idea, if it can be implemented.  Sometimes my rubber stamps take about 5 hours/lots of time per day, but I will never count them as large, unless the item is mind-blowingly annoying to do.

So, yeah.  I generally will not join swaps that have "large" in the swap requirements.  What's to say if I sent an incredibly detailed piece as a large and my partner disagrees?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
A2JC4life
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2011 01:17:31 PM »

Am I the only one who would seriously not mind receiving all small items in a points-based swap, in exchange for (fewer) larger items, as long as those small items obviously had thought and effort put into them?  I mean, a bookmark that I will use/love is worth far more to me than a quilt that I wouldn't, despite the fact that the quilt is obviously much larger.  Point being, if the items were obviously crafted for me, I will be happy with them.

And someone asked why requiring larger items would preclude people from doing the crafts they're good at ... well, it depends on what you're good at.  As a paper crafter, and one who is clearly not an artist, I cannot conceive of anything I could make that would be considered a large.  (I also happen to sew some, but let's just stick with the papercrafting for illustration purposes.)  That means that I would be effectively omitted from any swap that required a large, whereas if the same swap allowed for various point combinations, I would be fine.

I also agree with what RubyCopperhead said:
There is a number of reasons for this. One is, that I am not so confident about my crafts.
If the swap requirement was, send something you are happy with, I wouldn't be able to swap, because I am so overly critical of my stuff, and I am never happy when I send a swap package. I love swapping, the whole process - except the stage where I actually send.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2011 01:48:32 PM »

A kickass set of bookmarks = large. I've done sets of smaller things as a large before, and no one have complained yet... So I don't see why you couldn't join a large - medium - small swap. If you write what you can make and the organiser does the job right you shouldn't have any problems. And even if you're partner only lists huge sewn objects in the form it could probably be sorted by PMing them. I don't always put a lot of papercraft things in my wishlist but that doesn't mean I hate papercraft and would hunt you down for sending it to me... I just forget... Or run out of space...

I guess I just don't get why there's a need to create a new system when the old one works in all situations I've heard described as reasons to use points. A set of themed somethings can easily add up to a large or medium. If the swap called for one large and I got a big box of decorated note cards or letter paper I wouldn't be upset (try the opposite). You can still craft large paper crafting stuff... You just have to let go of the notion that you have to make ONE huge object as your large.

I think I'd rather go *craft craft craft* "Hmmm... These things together look like a large to me. Done!" instead of counting how many points the individual things make up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a H&M Wedding Dress for $100
Hot Off the Red Carpet Prom Picks
Lawrence Zarian on Shapewear Dangers
How to Style a Casual School Outfit
Would You Wear This Outfit on Spring Break?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...