A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 307,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The points system vs. general swap guidelines: what do you think?  (Read 11443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahj2001
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009 07:56:37 AM »

I think points swaps can be difficut...I know was one of those people who were disappointed once.  But it's just the way it is sometimes I guess.  I tend to make too much and spoil too much.

I like the super large idea.  Like I would love a knitted vest I saw a pattern for & I would even buy the yarn myself (since I can't knit) but I haven't bothered to ask because I expect it would take waaaay too much work to be counted as a large.  Or I could put together a quilt, but even a tied quilt can take way more than 3 hours of effort.

I might pitch a super large swap as a theme idea.  Smiley 

I love the idea of a super large swap!  I like making very very large projects Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

Swap Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009 03:44:50 PM »

I'm very interested in hearing the pro's too!  I have joined a couple of swaps that used the points system, but quite honestly, I just made a large, medium and small with extra's and counted it good! Cheesy 

I tend to not join swaps that use the points system as I just don't like it for the reasons that rackycoo stated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009 07:49:29 AM »

I'm not a fan of the point system and have purposely not joined swaps because of it. They seem really unfair to me. It becomes more about the points and less about having fun and the actual craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009 11:32:00 AM »

I'm kind of intimidated by large items for some reason, but I've solved it by asking my partner if they're okay with two mediums or something like that instead. It's not as if you are hunted down and spanked if you don't do exactly the sizes in the swap guidelines as long as you make something equivalent. I don't get why it would be harder to be flexible in a "traditional" swap, but that's just me.

I don't like points swaps since I think it's better to work out the details with the partner if you don't like making larges/smalls/whatevers. If I got 5 small items in a 5-point swap I think I'd be a bit disappointed... I have joined point swaps if I've liked the idea enough, but it still feels strange to think that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009 02:23:35 PM »

I have no important thoughts about the points system but that's because I don't seem to do any quick crafts, so a small or a 1 pt item generally takes me 3-4 hours anyway and a large or 3 pt item takes 20+ hours.  Perhaps I should take up construction paper bookmark making.   Wink

I feel this same way.  When I knit a dishcloth it takes about 3-4 hours...but I would consider that a small.  Some scarves that I've knitted have taken 15-20 hours to knit...

I guess I feel like swapping should always be about having fun and really sending something awesome to your partner.  I feel like in point swaps, that people get too hung up on the points.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009 02:38:56 PM »

i have always been vocally against the point system, and i stand by it

it has the potential to be extremely unfair, and its a poor fix to a problem that isnt really broken.

points ARE sizes, but with the added risk of someone making me 5 smalls for my large medium and small....i dont care if what i get is *as good* (which is hard to quatify) as what i sent, but i want to know that the person at least put the same effort as i did into it

i wont join a points swap, ever ever (unless it was a Disney swap, but even then, i woud sit out most likely) i have been tempted, but the more i think about it, the less the risk seems worth it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Riechan

Flowers in full bloom do not last forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009 01:40:35 AM »

hmmm
In the most swaps I have joined there was a point system but
they said e.g. 5 points, must be a large + medium, large+2small or medium+3 small so no 5 smalls ...
I think that's good Smiley

Also the system is a bit off, I think too, when I make a drawing, it can take a whole day but I will probably count it as a medium because it doesn't look like I worked on it a whole day (for people that don't draw that is Smiley)
Or when I make a bag, it can take a lot longer than 3 hours since I don't sew very fast ...
those terms are rather subjective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about crafts and photography
My Facebook and Etsyshop
IG
I really want to start making fairy jars!!!!!
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009 01:55:28 AM »

ok, but if they are saying that you have to use a "large+" method, HOW is that different than sizes

plus, its not only about the TIME it takes, all 3 factors should come into play

a drawing, it takes 12 hours to complete, but costs less than 2 dollars and is something you do alot...thats a medium to me too

if you still use the large/medium/small qualifiers, then the points mean nothing....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009 05:05:28 AM »

Also the system is a bit off, I think too, when I make a drawing, it can take a whole day but I will probably count it as a medium because it doesn't look like I worked on it a whole day (for people that don't draw that is Smiley)
Or when I make a bag, it can take a lot longer than 3 hours since I don't sew very fast ...
those terms are rather subjective.

Yep.  Both systems (size and points) are totally subjective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009 09:59:19 AM »

I avoid the point swaps because they seem vague on the requirements.

If the swap says one large and one small - I know the swap is planned to be two different sized items.

If the swap says 4 points - it could be 4 smalls, or 2 mediums, or 1 medium/2 smalls, or 1 large/1 small - so that's 2 to 4 items of the same or different sizes. That's a lot 'vaguer' (is that a word?) than one large & one small.

I can decide if I can do a 2 item swap for the theme & send by date even if I don't know the partner. I have a lot more trouble deciding if I can do a 2 -4 item swap.

5 points seem to be a common size - to me, a 5 point swap seems much bigger than "1 large & 1 medium" probably because of how many combinations of items are in 5 (or 6) points. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...