A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,515
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookie Cutters Your Way *Tutorial*  (Read 5421 times)
Tags for this thread: cookie_cutter , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suganspyyce
« on: September 03, 2009 07:07:02 AM »

I'm so impatient when it comes to ordering things offline.  When I have an idea to do something, I want to do it right away!  Who wants to wait a week for Mario shaped cookies??  Plus, cookie cutters are just way to expensive, especially the metal ones.  You can buy a roll of metal at Lowe's for about 8 bucks, cut into strips, and make tons of cutters, any shape you want!  Serious cookie makers have been doing this for a long time, making special orders, requiring custom cutters right away but many don't know they actually make the cutters to get those special shapes.  Check out cookie groups on flickr and you will find literally thousands of the cutest cookies ever!  Anyway, here's a tutorial I have made up to get you started on creating your own yummy shaped cookies!

If you have a crop-a-dile you can also use it to make small holes and fasten your cutters with eyelets instead of glue.  You don't have to limit these to just cookies, you can cut sandwiches, brownies, cakes, etc  These can also be used to cut polymer clay.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010 07:21:55 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alorralora
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 07:44:58 AM »

WOW!  I collect cookie cutters, now I can really "go to town"!!  The ones I've bought in the stores have always had a metal rivet in the joint.  Most of the time they end up rusting at that point, so I'm interested in the gorilla glue.  How do you think it stands up to hot sudsy water?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009 07:57:12 AM »

Ooooo thank you for that! I've never thought of making my own cookie cutters, but I have a friend who collects the copper ones. I'd love to make some funny personalized ones for her- I'm going to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
alorralora
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009 08:01:59 AM »

Me too!  But I'll keep them for myself Grin  What would you all make?  hmm...what I would do first is find a picture from my toddler's coloring book and make a giant-sized one.  Then make one of those giant cookies you see in the grocery store, with frosting!  whoa....maybe I just found a new business to get into, giant OOAK cookies!!    OOO!  and pizza crusts!! In the shape of Italy!!  ok, gotta calm down....as you can see, I really like cookie cutters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009 08:32:21 AM »

Most of the time they end up rusting at that point, so I'm interested in the gorilla glue.  How do you think it stands up to hot sudsy water?
Not really sure but the bottle says it is waterproof and can withstand temperatures of 40-130F.  I searched for days on a metal that I could buy at Lowes because I just had to try it!  YAY for giant cutters!! I was looking at giant cookies the other day.  I get excited too when I think of all the possibilities.  I hate waiting for ordered things to arrive (and I'm a cheapskate, LOL) so this is perfect!  The first test cookie cutter was made by my husband in the shape of Ni Hao Kai Lan, I'll take a pic and upload later.

Dragonflywer  You're very welcome!  I've noticed some cutters are over $15.  What in the..??  I appreciate the work that goes into making them but I'm poor folk, lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alorralora
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009 08:49:00 AM »

I totally understand about the poor factor.  We have some metal roof flashing we bought to use on repairing my mom's roof, but didn't need it.  It's galvanized metal.  That should work, eh?  Now, did you have to sand the edges down on yours to prevent cuts?  I usually let my toddler play with my cutters, but I can't see doing that with ones I make from this metal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009 09:30:43 AM »

alorralora- No, I didn't think it was very sharp.  I guess it could give you a paper like cut if you took it across your skin, but you would have to apply some pressure.  Also, you might get burrs if you don't cut straight like me Smiley.  Please don't use galvanized metal because it is chemically treated and is not food safe. 

I find it easier to control your cutting when you are cutting from the big roll by keeping the smaller strip behind the scissors and wrapping the bulk of the roll behind you.  That'll cut down on cutting imperfections.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009 09:43:12 AM »

Here's the Kailan cutter:

template

cutter (my camera is weird so I had to add a background for a closeup pic, goes great tho!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfaerie
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009 11:32:05 AM »

This is awesome!

One hint about galvanized metal, galvanizing means it has a coat of zinc oxide on it.  That stuff is in lipstick, sunscreen, etc.  I don't know if it would be that harmful, actually.

But bare metal might be best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
suganspyyce
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009 02:29:03 PM »

This is awesome!

One hint about galvanized metal, galvanizing means it has a coat of zinc oxide on it.  That stuff is in lipstick, sunscreen, etc.  I don't know if it would be that harmful, actually.

But bare metal might be best.

Thanks!  Thanks for the info for those who don't know, I stated not to use it but didn't give a reason.  I did look up the food safety concerns with galvanized metals and they are indeed not safe for food contact.  You will find galvanized cutters out there but they are for use with clay only.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cinnamon and Sugar Heart-Shaped Toasts
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
How to Make Grilled Pineapple With Mojito Whipped Cream
How to Make Dairy-Free Fruit Kebabs
How to Make Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...