A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ladybug Apron!  (Read 2101 times)
Tags for this thread: apron , ladybug , animal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 02, 2009 09:21:22 PM »

Here is the story, or skip it and look at the pictures.

I was married this summer. After the wedding my husband went to talk to his friend "Steve". Steve was in the wedding and Steve's wife "Anne" was not, but Ann helped a whole bunch especially on the day of the wedding, she arranged chairs and other things ran around when someone said "I need....." and went to find stuff when someone said "Where is the...." Very helpful. It is very nice to have couple who have been to many weddings at your wedding. Anyway my husband told Steve that he had a gift picked out as a think you/Best Man gift, but wanted to get Anne something too. Steve mentioned that Anne was admiring the apron of one of the caterers. It was a red apron with black polka-dots, the edge was cut in a circular manner with a little circular ruffle, but Anne would like it even better if it was a similar apron, but with ladybugs (Anne really likes ladybugs). Steve went on to say something about where you could find such an apron (apparently he asked the caterer, or knows apron shops or the "everything ladybug" website...don't laugh we were looking for blue shirts and came across the cobalt blue store so there are stores for everything!

Anyway my husband said "well we can do better than that Hoxie makes aprons! Then he came to me and told me the story. So I went about looking for ladybug fabric, something with a black background and red ladybugs. I wasn't finding anything when my husband came up and said "No no, that isn't what I was thinking, I was thinking you could make an apron ladybug. Not a print, but one that looks like a ladybug. You could use the pattern you used to make your cousin's apron and you do this". He drew a sketch. And here is what came to be....so far his drawing had pockets, I don't know, or if it needs a black line down the center to distinguish the wings.

It took me like four hours to find red with black polka dot fabric on line. Then at the fabric store a saw some! Until DH whispered to me "that is watermelon fabric". It was red with black dots, but the dots were watermelon seeds!

The pattern is Butterick 4945

And the sketch my husband did

It was so much fun and I love the concept. I also love that DH new I would be into making an apron, and that he remembered the apron I made for my cousin and that while he hates the fabric store he is AWESOME at picking good fabric. Whenever I don't know I bring him a long and say "I need a green fabric that will contrast nicely with this one" and BOOM he picks out an amazing fabric.

This is the first of the wedding related crafts I have posted. I am waiting to get the collection of wedding pictures, because I think I want to post the other stuff all at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 09:23:27 PM by hoxierice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
afc
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 02:17:57 AM »

I don't know if it is a watermelone fabric, but when I see your apron I think of a Ladybug!!! so, very good job!!! Anne would love it : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skull+crossbonesstitch

Angels and Eyeliner go to Hell hand in hand....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009 03:14:40 AM »

that is a very cute ladybird apron, very well done.
come to think of it, you could do a kinda watermelon style one with the same red fabric but green instead of black. that would look very cool.
i do love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeefKnits

"To make a long story short." "Too late!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009 06:24:12 AM »

I love your story for your very helpful friend!  I think it's awesome that your husband helped you with the idea and everything.  Great job with the apron, it looks beautiful.  Congratulations on your marriage too.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafters are the best people in the world.  Plus, it makes them environmentally friendly which I also love.  Wink
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009 11:19:52 AM »

No, the fabric is a polka dot, not watermelon seeds. I just saw the watermelon fabric after hours of searching for polka dot, it was kind of funny because I wasn't even looking for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Kizzie421
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009 12:11:01 PM »

gotta love the men in our lives!

I really love the idea of making the apron look like a lady bug instead of using lady bug prints!

This is why i love this site so many creative people i get so inspired very time i visit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sin esperanza
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009 03:39:59 PM »

awesome work, i love the way it drapes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
julietalpha
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009 02:50:17 AM »

What an awesome idea!  And it sounds like your husband needs to release his inner Craftster - what a genius idea to make a ladybug apron rather than an apron with ladybugs!  You've done a great job, too - it looks great.  I think a black stripe down the middle would make it more ladybug-like, without going to the extreme of putting eyes on the black bit (that has potential to be a little weird, considering what the black bit is covering... Wink).  Regardless of whether you add the details, it's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NY Artist Martin Abrahams "Breaks on Through" With His Provacative Art Show
WIND SQUID #3 - Space Battle!
WIND SQUID #4 - Massive Explosion
WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
Les Nabis: When Paintings Were Inspired By Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...