A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Field of Flowers Mosaic Suncatcher  (Read 8942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violetta27
« on: September 02, 2009 01:32:22 PM »

I live in a commercially zoned area and have many businesses surrounding my apartment.  Because of this reason, the views from my windows are generally lacking in aesthetic appeal so I am always trying to think of ways to dress up the windows to allow for light yet block out the miles of blacktop parking lots.  This challenge allowed me to be creative on a budget and remedy the situation to which I will need to make more of these to fit all my windows.  Well here it is, my picture frame sun catcher:

Here it is in its place of honor in my kitchen window.

This picture shows the flowers a little better.  It was hard to get the flowers to show up in a picture.

This one shows a little better what I did to the frame.

Materials Bought From The Dollar Store:
* 3 bags of aquarium rocks
* Picture frame
* Food coloring
* Picture hanging kit

Own Materials Used:
* Sand Paper
* Hot Glue
* Clear Spray Paint

I started by roughly sanding the frame and then using the food color to stain the wood.  I then laid out the rocks until I figured out which pattern I liked best and then hot glued them all on the glass.  After Aloe all over my burned fingers, I used the blue food color and applied it onto the back of the glass and sealed it with clear spray paint.  I had also purchased a picture hanging kit but turns out the frame with all the rocks is too heavy for the kit to be hung.  I will need to think of another way to hang this where it will be durable and not go crashing to the floor.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Have a great night all!  C&C welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009 01:40:16 PM »

Fabulous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009 01:56:09 PM »

Very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
molly43
Stay At Home Crafter/Mom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009 02:20:04 PM »

I think this is a cool idea and I have tons of those little glass stones that this would be great for. Maybe hang the thing with one big suction cup on a ribbon? Or use some of those wire plate display holder thingys?

Beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009 04:01:18 PM »

what a great idea. i like that the flowers magically disappear when the light shines trough.

what about desk-easels? like that: http://www.badartandmore.eu/WebRoot/Store4/Shops/61677546/47FE/17C0/302C/F469/1855/C0A8/28BA/B33B/an59_tischstaffelei.jpg
they are available in a few different sizes.
i think your "picture" would look cute displayed on something like that, even when it's dark. not so great if you plan do make 10 of them tough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vwbuggirlie
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009 04:15:04 PM »

I think I might need to make one of these for my office window at work. It doesn't get sunlight, just more florescent light from the hallway but it'll make the place prettier. I have a bunch of these glass beads left over from the centerpieces from our wedding (5 years ago).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
violetta27
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009 07:13:53 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trickygirlb
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009 07:30:28 PM »

What a great idea. This inspires me to try this with grout and make a mosaic. I can't remember what they are called but at the hardware store you can buy rings with screws on the the ends, anyway you can screw those into the wood of the frame and then loop with wire or strong twine, I have done that with a few pieces of art that were to heavy for just a regular nail, just be sure the frame is secure at the bottom, maybe reinforce it so it doesn't fall apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009 08:41:22 AM »

So pretty and such a great solution too! This would be great in my dining area where we look out onto the neighbours backyard... and he can see in. Even to have the bottom part of the window covered and still have the top open for more light to enter the room but still get the privacy factor. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
violetta27
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009 07:18:25 AM »

sunny- I am really loving the privacy factor. I no longer feel on display while washing the dishes.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a tearing Effect to Your Image in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Effect in Photoshop
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop 2/2
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...