A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,657
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maternity Clothes Questions... Please Help!  (Read 524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dandeliongames
It's just who I am

Serious Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2009 09:48:11 AM »

So, I'm really crafty and love love love making my own clothes. however I am now 14 week pregnant and most of my custom stuff no longer looks as good on me as it once did.

My question is... If i were to make some maternity shirts, would they just be longer than normal or longer and wider? I don't like the tent look, but I also don't want to look like I'm trying to squeeze into my clothes from high school either.

Now pants and skirts... i seam to find a lot that just have the top cut off and a piece of fabric sewn in place of the waist band. What fabric is best for this and is this the best way or just the simplest?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
~d xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm"
ac!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009 10:03:09 AM »

Congrats on the pregnancy!  That is so neat that you make your own clothes!

I don't make my own clothes but, just from personal experience (33 weeks pregnant with my first).  I have found that most of my pre-maternity t-shirts and tank tops that were cut longer have worked just fine to accomadate my growing belly.  Of course, I like the form fitting look in maternity wear so making them wider might be better if you don't want them tight against your belly.

On my sister's advice I bought all of my maternity pants in the style you described.  She recommended getting the ones with the material that goes all the up to cover the entire stomach rather than the ones that go half way (they can feel like they are cutting into your stomach when you get bigger).  The material they use is like a thick elastic nylon and I've found them to be very comfortable.  I'd love to see what you come up with! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmaDJ
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 10:37:14 AM »

When I was expecting, I wore my regular jeans/pants for 9 months by sewing wide(1.5-2") elastic about 4-5" long to both sides of the waist band on all pants that had a front fly.  The elastic held the pants up against my belly.  I wore long tops to cover the gap.  I found that adding a long band around the bottom of tees in a similar matching or contasting color let me wear many of my regular tees. I bought tees to cut off and use for this at the thrift store  They did get stretched out over the bump, so I got new ones post child.  The tees did fit closely, but I liked that look.  The family budget was really tight, and this freed up some money to buy baby things.  I used to teach at a school especially for pregnant teens, and although I was the English teacher, the home ec teacher askede me to show the students how I had done this.  I actually was pregnant while teaching at this school, and so the students saw that it worked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dandeliongames
It's just who I am

Serious Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009 11:35:12 AM »

Thanks so much Ladies! ~d xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm"
FriendlyJas
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009 09:59:35 AM »

You can make your own belly bands that cover the top of your unbuttoned jeans. That worked for me all the way to about the 7th month with my first. (from then on, I wore skirts with an elastic waist or smocked waist.)
I typically just wear a larger size when I am pregnant.It doesn't bother me to show off my curves. Maternity dresses and tops are longer in the front. Most of them have a longer curved shape for the front, making the bottom hem straight when your belly is displacing the front. Longer stretchy tanks and tees seem to work fine. You also have to adjust in the boob area if you wear fitted clothing. I find that deep v necks or mock wrap style tops give me room to go up and down in the boob area without altering the look of the outfit.
With actual maternity pants, I prefer the "underbelly" style. My maternity jeans have a mock fly and the top band is about 3" elastic covered with a cotton knit. (The cotton knit is sewn onto the pants and the elastic is held in place by a single line of top stitching at the top of the cotton knit casing. I hate the nylon top maternity pants. I can't stand stuff on my belly and the nylon doesn't hold up well. (Which is a big deal to me since I am often pregnant.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make 2 Sweet and Savory Brunch Dishes
Comfort Food: Hearty Farro, Sausage & Kale Stew
How to Make Smooth Gravy
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Try The Grass Whopper: Restaurant Offering Bug Filled Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...