A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The ULTIMATE Diaper Bag  (Read 10031 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_bag , baby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peacenluv78
« on: September 02, 2009 09:32:39 AM »

I finally got around to putting the finishing touches on my friends diaper bag. Here it is finally complete!

Its a messenger style bag, meaning it has a flap that goes over the top of the bag and straps that goes from one side to the other. The straps are fully adjustable so you can shorten to carry as a side bag or lengthen to wear across your body.

The front features 2 large flap pockets. Great for stuffing diapers. There are also pen slots positioned on the outside of the bag making for easy access of pens. For the side, I used a fabric that I've never used before. Its vinyl on one side and fleece on the other. What does this mean to my friend? It means that that interior is waterproof! Great for holding baby bottles. The moisture won't leak into the fabric and can just be wiped clean off of the vinyl. My proudest new achievement!

The back has a zipper pocket that runs along the length of the bag. Great for holding papers, documents, cell phone, wallet, etc...

And finally onto the interior!

More insulated pockets! Great for holding more bottles and even wet diapers.

My favorite finishing touches on the bag. A key fob so you never have to fumble for keys again. And a change/money purse which detaches from the bag (if you need to walk with it over to the parking meter).

So tada! There you go. The ULTIMATE diaper bag in all its glory. (Not pictured...matching stroller straps!)

http://jenny-is-sewing.xanga.com/711120029/the-ultimate-diaper-bag---complete/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009 09:41:34 AM »

Very cute, such adorable fabric too! Nice.
I'm making myself a diaper bag (planning stage is getting very long at this point  Embarrassed) and you've got nearly all the elements I want in this one. The only thing I wouldn't want myself are the external pen slots, my baby girl would take those pens out likkety split and have drawn all over herself and everything else in no time! She's a hooligan. I thought about putting a spot for a pen inside and a cell phone sized pocket too. If I made the straps out of the same fabric with an adjustable velcro strap (like on some of those assymetrical over one shoulder backpacks) I could put the cell phone and pen spots there. Again though, the problem with baby access, just can't get away from that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
cursive_queen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009 09:42:30 AM »

That is so pretty!  What is the name of the waterproof fabric you used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zuliblu
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009 09:44:01 AM »

Saa-weet!!!   I love it, you have a very lucky friend Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kingsalami
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009 09:49:23 AM »

wow, that is awesome, love the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GiddyUpMunky

Double stuffed baby!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009 10:33:36 AM »

This is the cutest diaper bag I've ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandaRenee
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009 11:30:09 AM »

Great bag, I love the fabric too.  I have it in my stash just waiting to become something great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
mommai
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009 12:20:43 PM »

Amazing!  I'm looking to make myself a diaper bag, and will probably buy the supplies this weekend (Joann's is having a big sale for Labor Day)  How much fabric did you buy (and what types), and what did you use for the insulated pockets?  Did you use a pattern or do you have enough experience where you just made your own?  The bag looks really awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peacenluv78
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009 12:32:26 PM »

thank you all for the wonderful replies! a few of your asked about the insulated material. here is a link to it: https://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=b777e05c-7dd4-49e0-8c98-026c872f28b7

"Description: Perfect for mattress covers and baby changing tables, this water repellant fabric is vinyl on top and flannel on the back."

its called baby dry vinyl. its vinyl on one side and fleece on the other. i didn't run into too much trouble sewing as long as i had fabric on the bottom side (while sewing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peacenluv78
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009 12:37:32 PM »

hi mommai,

i used a yard to a yard and a half (don't remember exactly so get 1 1/2 just in cas) for the exterior, less than 1/2 yard for the interior, and less than 1/2 yard of the vinyl material (its the minimum i could order and came on this HUGE roll, definitely will have tons of fabric leftover).

i made my own patterns but its super easy to make messenger style bags. i cut out rectangles for the bottom, 2 for the side, 1 for the front, 1 for the back and 1 for the flap. sewed the fabric onto the same size cut out pieces of ULTRA FIRM (its like cardboard) interfacing. i like to use pellon. its the kind that's frequently recommended to use on amy butler bag patterns. from there you can add pockets and stuff to the outside. for the interior i cut the same pieces but 1/4" smaller, leaving a unsewed area on the side, sewed the interoir to the exterior along the top of the bag and turned inside out. pretty similar concept to alot of other sewing projects.

i would do a search on "messenger bag tutorial" to get a better idea. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Research Sizes Online From Michelle Madhok
Gwen Stefani: Modern Style Icon
The Top 10 Buzziest Moments of Paris Fashion Week
Kerry Washington Rocks 6 Looks in 2 Days
Best Kept Women’s Fashion Secret: Buy Menswear
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...