A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Artisan Teas Anyone?  (Read 1142 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dust of Enchantment
« on: September 02, 2009 08:23:48 AM »

I couldn't find a more appropriate category for tea so if this post shouldn't be here, feel free to move/delete it Smiley

Anyway, I'm a big tea drinker (love coffee too but it makes me very sick) and started making my own blends 2 years ago. I like experimenting with exotic ingredients that you don't usually find in teas and come up with something new. So if you also like a cuppa, here's what I have to share:

1.Organic Tibetan goji berries (Lycium Barbarum) and Codonopsis pilosula (a variety of ginseng) green tea - a healthy super antioxidant that doubles as a tonic and improves blood circulation
2. Kaffir lime green tea - a citrusy after meal refreshment, hot or cold.
3. Pandan and Keemun blend - a luxurious, fragrant blend with the slightest hint of smokiness that's perfect for anytime
4. Coconut & cinnamon Ceylon - a very smooth, slighly spicy and rich flavour balanced with full-bodied black ceylon

I dehydrate the herbs and spices at home, so there will be more flavours once my other ingredients are ready for blending.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009 09:17:55 AM »

Where do you get the herbs and spices that you are using?

If you are growing them, where do you get seeds or starts for them?  I have a garden, and would like to add herbs to it, but have no idea where to begin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009 09:57:25 AM »

Ooooo. They do look exotic. I would probably love the first one since I o enjoy goji berries  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Dust of Enchantment
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009 09:00:05 PM »

Where do you get the herbs and spices that you are using?

If you are growing them, where do you get seeds or starts for them?  I have a garden, and would like to add herbs to it, but have no idea where to begin.
I bought my pandan, coconut and kaffir lime leaves from South-East Asian green grocers (Eg.: Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean, Indonesian) , although Pandan is very easy to grow in a warmer, tropical climate (not in Melbourne!). The goji berries are from an organic produce store, and Codonopsis pilosula ("Dangshen" in Mandarin) from Chinese pharmacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009 06:41:13 PM »

I wish I knew of a good resource for cooking with teas!  I love all kinds of loose teas & it would be fun to make a sauce or something with tea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey_Cinderella
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009 09:02:31 PM »

Oooh! Those all sound fantastic! I've been meaning to try blending my own teas as well, so these recipes are perfect. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dust of Enchantment
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009 02:42:05 AM »

I wish I knew of a good resource for cooking with teas!  I love all kinds of loose teas & it would be fun to make a sauce or something with tea...
I normally just drink them, the only thing I know how to cook with tea is "Tea Egg", where hard boiled eggs (with shells on, evenly cracked) are stewed in water, oolong tea leaves, soy sauce, star anise and salt. I reckon you can use this same recipe for chicken stew too. I had eaten other savory dishes cooked with tea but don't have the recipes. If you like Japanese "matcha" (green tea powder), you can find countless dessert recipes on the web.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009 08:00:10 AM »

I love green tea ice cream. Smiley  Unfortunately, I've tried cutting out all forms of sugar.  I think I'll go google some entree recipes made with tea! 

This weekend I made rooibos chai from Special Teas. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Omega
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009 02:24:23 AM »

I find dried fruit makes a good addition.. mixed with some green tea you can get some lovely flavours.

Though more often than not I find I need the caffeine hit of a coffee!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embonpoint Vintage - Vintage Patterns for Every Body
http://www.www.embonpointvintage.com
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009 01:37:51 PM »

Those teas look wonderful!  Do you air dry, or use a  food dehydrator, your oven or your microwave? 

I find the food dehydrator works well on some fruits like berries, but when I've dried herbs it they tend to lose their potency very quickly. The dehydrator doesn't seal tightly and the small motor makes the drying take a little too long.

I get best results with air drying or freezing.

Donniesgirl, you can used tea-infused water in your cooking!  Boil the water, steep the tea in it for 10-20 minutes (cover the pot with a lid), then cool the water and use it as you like.  Rice, chicken and fish take this kind of seasoning really well. I've not tried it with small pastas like Cous Cous or Orzo, but I don't see why it wouldn't work!

I also see no reason not to use tea leaves in a marinade...they're herbs after all!  Just throw 'em in your bag or bowl with your meat, vinegar and oil.
t
I have also use herbal tea to 'smoke' oven-roasted chicken...PM me if you want the recipe...it takes a little extra prep but it's fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Releases for Photographers
Photography and Make Up
Macro Photography Tips
What is Macro Photography
Lighting in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...