A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What can I make with this?  (Read 596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prettyfloralbonnet
« on: September 01, 2009 09:36:48 AM »

A little of my sewing history... I'm a noob.  I've made a few pillowcase dresses that turned out great IMHO, (and I will share them with you all when I have my camera back!) but I'd like to move on to something a teeny teeny more difficult and learn new ways to sew.

My mother bought me this GORGEOUS green and pink paisley fabric and lovely green contrasting fabric from the scraps pile at Joanns.  I have 45 X 28 of the paisley and 45 X 13 of the green.   She's going to be 2 on Sunday (!) and I could easily make another pillowcase like dress for her with this as I use 20 X 40 for those, but like I said, wanna do something different.

Since I have such a limited limited knowledge of garment making, I want to ask the experts.  Is there something else I can make with this amount of fabric?  A simple shirt?  A different kind of dress?  Don't forget... noob!  Please help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009 10:03:19 AM »

What about a peasant dress? 

It's different from a pillowcase style dress, yet delves into some new techniques for someone new to sewing, yet is still easy enough that you won't go bonkers trying to do it. 

Here is my favorite tutorial for peasant tops/dresses. 

http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009 02:15:11 AM »

You could make a skirt or pants and maybe add ruffles with the green fabric.  I like the peasant top/dress idea also. 
Here is a link to my favorite ten-minute trousers tutorial which could easily become bloomers (diaper cover), shorts or capris by shortening the length.: http://madebypetchy.blogspot.com/2008/06/tutorial-10-minute-trousers.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyfloralbonnet
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009 02:13:15 PM »

Thank you Cheyenneswthrt07 , I was able to make a shirt with that.  I guess my mind isn't used to thinking in 3D because I wrecked so much fabric until my husband came home and showed me how to do it.  (Thank goodness the tutorial recommends using fabric you don't love for the first time!!)  I need to fix one armhole because I cut the elastic too short, but it's fairly cute!

ONE HAPPY MOMMA that is a fantastic tutorial!  Thank you so much for sharing, I can see myself using that a LOT!

I have to say, I really love knitting, but sewing produces clothing a lot faster for me.  Plus, my husband will sew while I cut and pin, and he can't really knit for me. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I used to be strictly a yarn girl but now I'm teaching myself to sew.  Help! Smiley

My family's crafty blog: http://chimpsgomoo.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Macaron Recipe
How to Make Nutella Cupcakes
How to Make Ginger Streusel Pumpkin Pie
Producing a Candy Cane Mint
How to Make Decorated Halloween Cake Pops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...