A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,020
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm a milkmaid? Summer time dress. TUTORIAL ADDED!! Warning- Very PIC HEAVY!  (Read 145506 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2005 05:03:44 PM »

I'll start by saying that summer is officiallly here in Arizona and it was hottt today.  I thought I should have a breezy lightweight dress to match the weather, and be able to get some use out of it before I move to Oregon in May.  I love how it turned out!  The yellow is a sort of mustard-y rich yellow cotton with white flower/wheat things, and the brown is a more heavyweight fabric.  Those round things on the straps are buttons in case you can't tell Smiley  My favorite part is the bows on the pockets.

I wore it to school today and I got some compliments, and one of them was that I look like a milkmaid, or a 50's housewife.  I'll take either Grin

I didn't use a pattern; I made it all up based on a sketch I did in Photoshop late one sleepless night.  The skirt of the dress is not as full as a circle skirt, but almost.  It twirls nicely. It closes in the back with a zipper and a bow.

Links to photos underneath in case they are too small for you

Front

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/7a.jpg

Back

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/4a.jpg

Side

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/6a.jpg

Top close up

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/5a.jpg

Pocket

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/1a.jpg

Twirl!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/replicarter/2a.jpg

::TUTORIAL:: (finally Wink )
Hey guys thanks for being so patient.  Here it is at long last!  See page 12 for my reply as to why it took so long if you wondered.

Cut your pieces out according to the pictures.  Here is what you need:
1 skirt piece
1 bottom trim piece
1 waistband piece
4 shoulder strap pieces
4 underarm trim pieces
4 neckline trim pieces (I forgot to type x4 on the picture)
1 waist front piece (under bust piece)
1 waist back piece
2 bust pieces
2 pocket bows
4 pocket pieces
some piping (1 packet)
some elastic
two buttons
22 zipper

The skirt should be a half circle with the top curve being about 2-3 times longer than you waist measurement so that it turns out ruffled like mine.  The bottom contrasting trim should be the same length as the bottom curve of the half circle.  Measure all other pieces to your body.

Hem the bottom trim and attach to the skirt with right sides together.

Cut elastic the same length as your waist.  Sew elastic to the top curve of the skirt while stretching it (this will ruffle the skirt since your skirt pieces waist is longer than the elastic).

Attach waistband piece to top of skirt by sewing right sides together through elastic and fabric.

This is how it should look so far when you turn it right side out.  Excuse the kitten.

Put two darts on both the waist front and waist back pieces, as shown.

This is how they will look with darts.

Pin and pleat both bust pieces along the bottom and sides to create a bigger cup (see next photo for placement of pleating).

Attach the two bust pieces by sewing right sides together in the middle.  Here it is with me holding it up so you can see how it should be.

Pin and sew piping to the top of the waist front piece as shown.

Attach waist front piece (along with the piping you just attached) and pin and sew it to the bottom of the two bust pieces.

This is how it should look right side out now.

Now lets go back to the skirt and waistband.  Close the skirt by putting right sides together and sewing a line down.  (This seam will go in the back and be used for the zipper later.)

Attach skirt/waistband to the top of the dress (including waist front, waist back, and busts).  To do this, pin right sides of your contrasting waistband to the waist front and waist back.  Sew.

Now attach your zipper in the back of your dress (sorry no pics of this part).  You will obviously line up you zipper with your skirt seam in the back and it will go through the middle of the waist back piece.

Now that your zipper is in place, Hem the top of your waist back piece (you will notice it is unfinished) and attach piping.  Then, sew down the ends of the bust pieces that are just flapping around to the waist back (this will make sense when you look at your own dress youre makingits hard to explain!).

Now for the straps and underarm trim and neckline trim.  You have already cut four of each shape, so take two of each and sew right sides together, leaving a small opening to flip right sides out.  Finish the opening you left after youve flipped right side out.  This picture is just an example of the shoulder strap before its flipped right side out.

Take an underarm trim piece and pin right side together to the bust and waist back pieces.  Repeat with other underam trim piece.

Take your two completed neckline trim pieces and sew a diagonal line (as shown) with right sides together.

Pin and sew neckline trim pieces to the neckline part of the bust with right sides together.  This can be a little tricky so make sure you check that its correctly placed before you sew it down.  Also sew together the neckline trim and underarm trim where they meet.

Pin completed straps to the front of your dress as shown and sew in place.

Pin and sew the back of the straps to the back of the dress where the underarm trim stops (as shown).

Sew on you buttons by hand (they dont really serve a purpose other than decorationthey dont really button anything).

Now moving on to pockets.  Take two pocket pieces and sandwich the piping in between them with right sides together.  Pin and sew in place, leaving a gap where you can flip it right side out.  After flipping the pocket, finish the gap you left.

I forgot to take pics of this part so I drew a picture  Undecided Take One pocket bow and fold in half lengthwise with right sides together.  Sew together, leaving a gap for flipping right side out.  Finish the gap you left after flipping right side out, and tie a loose knot in the middle of your strip.  Make sure this matches the width of your pocket now.  Sew to pocket.   

Repeat with second pocket.  Then just pin your pockets to the front of your dress and sew in place around the bottom!  Youre done!

Finished dress front!

Finished dress back!

If anyone needs clarification on any step or photo, just let me know and Ill try to get back to you as soon as possible!  Hope this isnt too confusing.  Good luck everyone and be sure to share what you create with all of us Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 04:06:14 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005 05:06:41 PM »

Ooh that's excellent!  I LOVE it!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005 05:07:25 PM »

That's adorable!!! I love the colors an the bow accents... I second the 50's housewife notion  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
bsimplethings

pick out your cloud

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005 05:15:30 PM »

wow - would you be willing to give a tutorial, because that dress is amazingly CUTE, and your fabric choices were quite nice...brown/yellow is quite the combination
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005 05:20:55 PM »

I LOOOOOOOOVE it! You look so freakin adorable in it. How the heck did you do that?!?! It's amazing. I love the 4th picture, you look gorgeous in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
SKN725
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005 05:32:38 PM »

:)I just want to compliment you on this dress and some of your other original designs that I have noticed here on craftster and on the execution of them.  You are highly skilled and very creative.  Bravo!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005 05:39:18 PM »

Thank you guys all so much.

wow - would you be willing to give a tutorial, because that dress is amazingly CUTE, and your fabric choices were quite nice...brown/yellow is quite the combination
Thank you!  Sure, I'll make a tutorial soon this week.

I LOOOOOOOOVE it! You look so freakin adorable in it. How the heck did you do that?!?! It's amazing. I love the 4th picture, you look gorgeous in it!
Aww thanks, and I just realized that my TV in the background of that picture has Star Trek on it Smiley

:)I just want to compliment you on this dress and some of your other original designs that I have noticed here on craftster and on the execution of them.  You are highly skilled and very creative.  Bravo!!
I really appreciate that, thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
melindakai
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005 06:00:20 PM »

That's a gorgeous dress!  You did an amazing job with it.  It's also perfect for Oregon...it will be nice in the summer, and then you can wear it in the fall with a hoodie and tights or something.  I'm from Oregon, so I can relate.  How long did it take you to make it?  Once again, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005 06:27:05 PM »

Thank you guys all so much.

Thank you!  Sure, I'll make a tutorial soon this week.

Aww thanks, and I just realized that my TV in the background of that picture has Star Trek on it Smiley

I'm so excited for the tute!!!! I didnt even notice the star trek, teeheehee. It's the little things that make me giggle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Gette13
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005 06:44:43 PM »

Oh thats ADORABLE!!!!!  Hurry, please, with the tutorial!  I want to make it in pale blue with big white polka dots! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be bold.  If you are going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."  Billie Jean King
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poutine
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...