A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wooden Alphabet Blocks?  (Read 2938 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christinad
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010 06:03:14 PM »

Have you seen the picture holders where a wire sticks up out of a base and then curls around at the top? Then you slip the bottom of the photos into the wire curl at the top to display it.  I've made these using alphabet blocks.  You can play with how you want to stack the blocks and once you get a configuration that you like you adhere them together.  I usually drill matching holes in the blocks and use dowels and wood glue to adhere them together.  Then you drill a hole in the top of your stack and put a length of thicker wire into the hole.  I make my curly Q first then glue the wire into the hole.  I wish I had a picture Undecided but I havent made any recently.  They are great for baby showers.  You can spell out the babies name or just use random blocks.

Have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
calluna
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010 09:35:08 PM »

i was thinking about hand-carving some little rubber stamps, and mounting them on 2 of the flat sides of these blocks...hopefully with images that relate to the letters on the block, ie a block with "I" would have an igloo, and a block with "F" would have a flower. i've seen stamp-cubes recently in stores that have different stampable textures on each side, but you'd want at least 2 sides empty so you could hold onto it without getting ink on your hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
jasminerenee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011 06:37:11 PM »

1. I have several friends with grade school kids. When they do those fund raisers, there is almost always that little packet of wrapping paper samples. Those little pages are perfect shape to wrap those little letter blocks! Our tree growing up was covered in them. Mom was big on handmade ornaments! Each year I make it a point to create a minimum of five handmade ornaments. Last year was a ton of these! Wrap them like a little gift, wrap with ribbon, and use to hang on the tree. So cute when you can have tons of different styles!

2. Love the photo cube thingies. I take a length of really heavy wire, coil both ends up into spirals, and fold one sideways. Glue it onto a letter cube. I paint the cube all one color, then paint the letter a contrasting color (black cube, white letter). The letter can then be the first initial of the person in the photo. I have about 15 of them across the high shelf in our living room!

3. I also love the idea of spelling out messages. I pick these up whenever I find them. I can spell out some long phrases! I've painted them all one color. I too spell out strange messages and see how long it takes people to find them LOL!

Jasmine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wickedmouse
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011 12:54:43 PM »

I did name plate things for the girls at work last year. I decopaged the 4 sides that were blank with flowery paper and glued them together to spell names. I think the fridge magnet idea is fantastic, I am gong to try those for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog - http://www.wantedagain.blogspot.com

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/wickedmouse

I have promises to keep...and miles to go before I sleep
AmazingAlex
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011 02:42:52 PM »

I really like the magnet idea. Those are really cute. The only thing I could think of with the blocks is basically what someone else said about your name or whatever only having them in like the shadowboxes? You could like spell out LOVE or something in one and have maybe pictures of kids or whoever you want. I don't know if it would work cause I don't know how big shadowboxes are made or how big your blocks are but i think it'd look cool, esp. if you have kiddos. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm an uber nerd that loves Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Divergent, Supernatural, and Marvelverse (to name a few.)
Harry Potter Favorites Swap Is Live
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=434138

I'm interested in personal swaps!
shannon1976
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011 08:20:21 PM »

Make them into hanging block strings for an animal shelter that takes in bunnies and gerbils.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2fur
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011 09:13:55 PM »

Here is something my mother made for me and now I make them as Christmas gifts. Basically, it's a block Christmas tree. If I'm doing my math right, you'll use up 16 blocks to make one!

The base is made of 7 blocks. Line them up in a row, touching each other, and put some masking tape along one side, right across all 7 blocks. Now form a circle with the blocks. The tape will help keep them from shifting. This is the bottom of the tree.
Glue this onto a round wooden base. A wooden disk you might use for a plaque or to make a clock would be nice.

Now make another circle the same way, using 5 blocks. Glue this to the 7 block circle. Then do 3 blocks. Finally, put one block on top.

Get yourself some tiny decorations, like toy drums or angels or presents. Sometimes they are meant for package decorations or for mini Christmas trees. Anything small enough to glue on top of the blocks will do! Just glue your pieces here and there around the tree, and maybe put a few on the base, too. That's all there is to it!

These make unique gifts and everyone always loves them. I'm sorry I don't have a link and have no idea where my mother got the idea from!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: Becca Brush
Expert Reveals Summer Habits That Are Harmful To Your Skin
Beauty Test Lab: One Minute Polish
Beauty Test Lab: Bite Lip Pencil Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...