A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Queen sized t-shirt quilt  (Read 1718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stainedandlit
« on: August 31, 2009 07:59:01 AM »

This was a commissioned quilt for a lady who owns a kid's clothing company with her husband -- it's his 40th birthday present.  The quilt top is all designs from their line, including denim scraps to fill in some areas of the patchwork. The back is awesome echino cotton from kokka, and the binding is michael miller ticking.

it's hard to see on the back, but it's barely quilted.  we didn't want to quilt over the designs, so i mostly outlined some of the colorblocks.

the company's logo (that little monkey head) is hand appliqued to the back, his and hers style.

i am SO GLAD THIS THING IS FINISHED.  i swore at it a lot. 

sorry the pics are kinda bad, it was so big i couldn't get it all in one shot without moving some furniture!!

(before binding so you can see the whole thing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boogaloo

mine is an evil meow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 08:20:00 AM »

Very nice. I love how you've grouped the colors together, and varied the size of the blocks. Some of the t-shirt quilts have seen just look sloppy. This flows beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jl409
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 11:01:10 AM »

This is awesome. I love how it turned out. I have been saving my tshirts for awhile now hoping to get around to doing somethign like this! Maybe sometime in the near future??!!! Smiley   Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009 05:44:26 AM »

This is amazingly done. I hate t-shirt quilts usually because it's "square square square square" and that's really boring. I love how you thought about yours and made a conscious decision on where things should go based on the overall quilt design not just "I want to sew my t-shirts together. YAY."

I did a "deconstructed" t-shirt quilt a while back to try to do the opposite of most t-shirt quilts.

AND I love how you used some plain fabric in there too really separates it out.

Okay, and that backing fabric I have to say, that had to set you back unless you found it on sale. I've been drooling over that for a while (in purple) and it's always sold out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stainedandlit
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009 09:00:08 AM »

Okay, and that backing fabric I have to say, that had to set you back unless you found it on sale. I've been drooling over that for a while (in purple) and it's always sold out.

Thanks for the nice words! And I loved that quilt you made when you posted it....it made me wish I'd saved all my shirts/patches from my streetpunk days!

i LOVE the backing fabric -- it was built into the price of the quilt and I had a little bit left over for myself, so i'm STOKED.  It was at my local fabric shop while they were having a 20% off weekend, so I did buy some other echino prints for myself!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009 09:02:38 AM by stainedandlit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009 10:09:13 AM »

i LOVE the backing fabric -- it was built into the price of the quilt and I had a little bit left over for myself, so i'm STOKED.  It was at my local fabric shop while they were having a 20% off weekend, so I did buy some other echino prints for myself!
[/quote]

drooooool.... I love Echino. What's your local fabric store? Do they have an online shop?  I only find echino prints online and they're always super expensive... :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet V Shaped Borders
How to Crochet the 1st Row in Slitted Tree Skirts
How to Crochet with Wool Allergies
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 6/7
How to Crochet the 1st Line in Slitted Tree Skirts
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...