A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: why didn't someone warn me invisible thread was evil?  (Read 1190 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009 05:34:49 AM »

So I finally collected enough ties to try rickrackruby's tie bag and decided I'd use invisible thread for the top stitch.

The stuff is evil. *Evil*, I say. Angry It wouldn't stay on the spool (and my spool socks are meant for serger cones) and kept wrapping around the spool pin. If I looked at it funny it jumped out of the tension discs and then wrapped around the tension knob. Or around the bobbin/bobbin pin when the needle went through the fabric. And then, of course, it broke; that's how I knew it had wrapped itself around something, yet again. I briefly considered trying to use it as the bobbin thread, but given the fits it was giving me, I talked myself out of it fairly quickly.

A spool sock might help keep it on the spool, but I dunno about the rest of it. At this point, frankly, I'm so irritated with the whole thing that if the answer to working with it is 'patience', I'm done! I spent so much time fiddling with the stupid stuff, trying to devise ways to keep it on the spool and unwinding it from whatever when I couldn't, that I blew an entire afternoon and still only got about 8" sewn.

Is there a trick to working with this stuff that I'm missing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 08:09:59 AM »

If you'd ask... I'd have told you the stuff was Evil! Honestly, I wouldn't bother! How about just using a black thread? I don't think it would take away from anything. Or, you do a small even running stitch by hand with embroidery thread... Rayon or metallic maybe? That would add a nice touch, and may not even take as long as messing with that plastic stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 08:23:01 PM »

Not all invisible threads are created equal. Most of it is made out of nylon and is very difficult to work with. Sulky makes an invisible thread that is made out of polyester. It is maybe a bit troublesome put not any more than rayon or trilobal (shiny) polyester.

One tip is to place the spool in a coffee cup and set the cup right at the back-right-corner of the machine. Bring the thread up and over the thread holder/spindle and thread as usual. The spool can sort of bounce around in the cup and it really won't matter if some of the thread "slips" off the spool. This works even better if you have a thread stand (google or search craftster for DIY models).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009 10:39:39 PM »

That's a great idea about the coffee cup! Maybe you could even tape a piece of paper with a hole punched in it to add some tension, or keep the spool from bouncing? I may have to try this sometime... I haven't used the invisible stuff in a long time. Seems like there's a reason why....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009 04:41:38 AM »

Hmm. I even have a coffee cup already on my sewing table. Normally it's a catch-all, but I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 09:17:08 AM »

i was trying to hand sew with it. I thought it would make the sock monkeys look cleaner since you can't see stitching. I gave up. It was  Angry

totally. never again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BT
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009 08:13:49 AM »

It really can be nasty stuff. If you MUST use it, slow your sewing down considerably. I find it best to use when couching decorative threads, rather than regular sewing. I have also used it on a hem, but again, sewing very slowly.

However, the worst thing about invisible thread is trying to rip it out when you've made a mistake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staar84
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009 12:10:35 AM »

Nobody warned me either. After I tried it my mom said "oh yeah, it's a pain in the butt". Thanks, mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
donniesgirl
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009 12:47:18 PM »

I was on an invisible thread kick for a bit but it is a lot of hassle.  I only use Gutterman invisible - Sulky kept snapping on me, even though the salesperson swore it was "high quality."  I don't know - it didn't work for me & it was more expensive.

What I really don't like about invisible thread, is on dark fabric, it looks like fishing line.  I quit using it - even a slight color difference in thread isn't worth the hassle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Converting a Tracing Object into Paths
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting the Trace Settings
Extreme Website Makeover - Adjusting Tracing Presets, Mode and Threshold
Extreme Website Makeover - Live Trace and the Tracing Options Dialog Box
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...