A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lined Gym bag Backpack UPDATED with Tutorial  (Read 3238 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , backpack  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sew-wannabe
« on: August 31, 2009 03:58:09 AM »

I made this gym bag for my son for school.  He wanted a bag for his gym clothes and he picked out this fabric.  At first it was just a drawstring bag then he wanted a backpack style, so I got more cording and gromets and made it back pack style.  Those pics are still on the camera.

I have the directions written down at home that I can share a turorial if anyone is interested.

----------------

ok here is the directions on how I made this bag...very easy.

First cut out your pieces:  I used 18x21" main, liner, and interface - Cut 2 of each.  Also cut out 1.5x15 strips of the liner (cut 2).

I used fusable interfacing and ironed it to the wrong side of the main peices:

Next I folded the stips of the liner fabric to make the casings.  Do this by folding in 1/4" press fold 1/4" press of each short side of the stip.  Then fold the stip long ways and press again:

ok time to start sewing.  Line up right sides together of main with main and pin.  Line up right sides together of liner and liner and pin.  Sew the main down the 21" side across the 18" bottom and back up the other 21" side.  Leave the last 18" side open.  Clip the corners and turn right side out.  For the line do the same except leave a small space unsewn along the bottom for turning.  You can see the vertical pins marking my turning hole.

With main right side out, align the nonfolded edge of the casing strip to each side of the raw edge of main.  Center the strip as it will be shorter than the actual bag.
Sew as close to the raw edge as you can and still catch all the layers.

Turn main inside out again (keeping the casing in the same position as it was when you sewed it on.  Insert liner right sides together inside main and sew again as close to the raw edges as possible making sure to catch all the layers.  Sorry poor picture because it is a black liner.  Not you will be sandwiching the casing between the main and liner as you sew.

Pull the liner out of main and turn the whole thing inside out through the small hole you left in the bottom of the liner.  Work slowly and carefully so you don't rip the seam.  It will come through if you work at it.

Once you get it all turned smooth out the bottom of the liner and fold under the seam alowance and top stitch the hole closed.

Straighten it all out and push the liner back into the bag.  You should now have right side out of main and right side facing the inside of the bag for the liner. 

I pressed the casing up so it stands up beyond the bag at this point.  Take your cording at your desired length and attach it to a big safety pin.  Run 1 piece of cording through the casings all the way around.  Thread another piece of cording in the same manner but starting at the other side.  This will give you a nice draw string bag. 

To make this a back pack style bag, you will need longer pieces of cording and gromets.

After the bag was pressed and the liner smoothed inside the bag I measured up 3" and across the bottom 3" at each botton corner.  I sewed a diagonal line across at these points. This will secure the liner in the bag and help reinforce the grommet area.  I uaed 1/4" grommets and centered them in each corner triangle.  I installed the grommet by first cutting a small hole for the shank end to fit through, placed on the cap end and slammed it with a hammer with the grommet setting tool that came in the pack.  I had to remove the cording and replace it the same way it was with longer cording.  I then ran the loose ends of the cording through the gromet before securing with a large knot that won't pull through the grommet.

Hope this makes sense.  I don't have exact measurements on the cording used because I bought 6 yards and then had my son try on the pack for pisitioning and cut it accordingly.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009 07:16:24 AM by sew-wannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG => Country Cluckers
MY WIST => Wish List
hockamama
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009 04:59:07 AM »

I LOVE that fabric!  what a great bag, I'm sure he loves it.  I'd love to see the pics of it with the backpack finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
Pixsydust
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009 07:40:54 PM »

Very cool!  A tutorial would be great if you have the time to post it.  I'd appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linda P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009 07:16:29 PM »

That would be great!  I love how it looks.  Is  your son happy with it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sew-wannabe
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009 06:48:20 AM »

Yes he really likes it.  So much so he would not use it the first day of school for his gym clothes.  Said he did not want to get it dirty!  Goofy kid.  He will use it and it will soften up as he uses it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG => Country Cluckers
MY WIST => Wish List
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beachy Hair Tutorial
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Best Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Hair Tips: How To Cover Roots & Grays In Between Colorings
Oscar Inspired Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...