A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: buying or making your own?  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cupcakemama06

Love the life you live. Live the life you love.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2009 04:00:09 PM »

So I have a friend I sew with a lot. I almost always buy or find a free pattern online at least for a jumping off place. She almost always draws her own pattern. I really admire her for that, but I have no skill at that. However I'm starting to feel more and more like i'm less artistic or talented becuase I use a pattern. What do you all think? Is using a pattern simply copying some one elses' work? Or can it be an artistic expression as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009 05:36:43 PM »

I don't think that if you use someone else's patterns you are copying them, take poppets for example (just because I make them all the time). I use ghilie's basic pattern, alter it here and there sometimes, or sometimes I just use it as is, sew it up, give the poppet personality and so forth. Personality that no one else's creations will have. Why? Because you have spent the time working on it, shaping it, clothing/ dressing it/ all that jazz, making it my own, therefore like you said, artistic expression (you would be pretty hard pressed to find two poppets made by two different people that are similiar). And then you have people like craftewoman or atusko who take ghilie's pattern and alter it quite a bit and make boobie poppets or baby poppets.

I also think that using patterns gives you experience, experience which you can use to create your own pattern. I just made my first pattern the other day to make quite a large/ complicated stuffie. I used some basic shapes that I had become accustomed to in poppet making, but the majority of the pattern I was just able to freehand/ alter with trial and error. I think that using patterns gives you ideas/ simplier ways to do things that you may not think to do yourself, so I don't think that makes you less talented or less artistic... Patterns just help to make things less complicated in a way I suppose.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010 08:25:28 AM »

I use patterns when ever I can, although I am not above improvising (or is it Improving?) Once you've done a certain part over and over it becomes easier.  You know the 2nd or third item makes up much quicker that the first.  Just remember you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you craft something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
downtownmonsters
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 02:27:51 PM »

using patterns is fine ... its like the framework or the bones to add on your own special little details or flare ...  add a little of yourself into the project ... but even if you just leave it as is ... youre still putting a lot of effort and work into the craft? you like what youre making ... so ... i say just do whatever youre comfortable with ... no one way is better than any other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.daisybythebay.etsy.com 
vintage finds and one of a kinds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Amigurumi
How to Crochet an Afghan
How to Crochet a Scarf
How to Crochet a Flower
How to Crochet a Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...