A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Elusive Sasquatch (picture overload)... ***Now with pattern***  (Read 4319 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffed_animal , stuffie , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

averyg

Personal poppet swap? PM me!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2009 03:04:08 PM »

So I have been having a mental debate with myself for about a week... What might I be debating you may ask? I am debating whether or not I would like to participate in the "We Believe: Cryptozoology Swap". I love cryptozoology so much, and unfortunently my university does not offer programs/ classes in it, so I have resorted to anthropology, may not seem similiar whatsoever, but both have the "fantastical" quality to me.

Because the idea of cryptozoology has been on my mind so much lately, the other day I decided to do something about it, more specifically I decided to make myself a sasquatch using some fun fur that I have been meaning to use, but never seem to get around to doing. I am really proud of this little guy, he may be my most favourite stuffie ever. I made the pattern all by myself (yay- me!) and if anyone is interested in it, I can post the pattern. I also made him poseable by placing pipecleaners throughout him (prolly around 20?). I used a lot of techniques that I learned in poppet making (would you believe it?) including needle-sculpting on his nose, and using safety eyes and such. I made his head a million times using all different created patterns, I never liked any of them until I threw this one together this morning. He is a combination of hand and machine sewing. Like mentioned, he is made of fun fur, but also faux suede. He is about a foot tall and 3/4 foot wide.

Anyways, on to my creation. PS. his ears aren't funny looking, I just never flattened them for the pictures... I also put pipecleaners in his ears to make them poseable...

My favourite close-up, here you can see some minor needle sculpting and his bright baby blues:

His face full:

His entire body:

And him showing off his bum area:

His poseable hands and feet (oh and his cute little belly button):

So please bear with me, this was the first patern that I actually drawn out. I do not have an actual pattern of the front of the face/ the projecting part of the face, as I kinda made those up as I went along, though I did use the drawn pattern piece back of the head. The front of the head piece, ehhhhh... might want to be redrawn as a tad bit taller and a bit wider. But like I said for the porjecting part, I just looked at lots of pictures of chimps and such to get the basic look of their faces.

Without further ado,

I actually cut out the centre part of the tummy from the fun fur and then sewed the faux suede on the inside of the hole, I then went around the fun fur hole and tightened up thestitches on the outside, it would have been much esier to just cut a circle of faux suede and sewn it on the front of the fun fur... there is me making things difficult Wink

And like mentioned, don't use the pattern piece for the front of the head, widen/ heighten it...

Thanks for looking!
Smiley
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009 07:11:36 AM by averyg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009 05:56:34 PM »

He's too cute averyg! I love his little bellybutton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009 07:01:19 PM »

He's too cute averyg! I love his little bellybutton.

Oh thanks a lot! That is def. one of my favourite parts about him. I tried to needlesculpt his belly button/ give him butt cheeks like with poppets, but the fun fur was too thick to really do anything, so the belly button that I did was the alternative.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009 07:49:00 PM »

he's really cute! i like stuffies made with combo of doll skin and fur, they look so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
TazFromOz

Invisible Bicycle... wait a minute!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009 10:07:02 PM »

He's gorgeous in a can.  I 'this rocked' him and would definitely like to give sewing him a go when I'm a bit better and have more control over my machine.  My machine doesn't like fur =(.  I think I need to change the foot or the little runner settings or something but I'm not sure yet.  His face is beautiful.  I can't help but think that with a few tweaks that it would look perfect on a camel.  I think it's the beautiful big eyes that do it - a longer nose and some eyelashes and he'd be ready to spit and bite and look pretty (but not smell it) =).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009 06:41:52 AM »

He's gorgeous in a can.  I 'this rocked' him and would definitely like to give sewing him a go when I'm a bit better and have more control over my machine.  My machine doesn't like fur =(.  I think I need to change the foot or the little runner settings or something but I'm not sure yet.  His face is beautiful.  I can't help but think that with a few tweaks that it would look perfect on a camel.  I think it's the beautiful big eyes that do it - a longer nose and some eyelashes and he'd be ready to spit and bite and look pretty (but not smell it) =).

Well thanks a lot! I never used to think that my sewing machine liked fun fur, but when day I just decided to give it a go. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :/ It didn't seem to work all that much when I was sewing him up just because the two pieces were so thick and I couldn't actually get the material underneath the foot. I don't mind hand sewing though, especially fun fur, I think that hand sewing it gives you quite a bit of control and even with hand sewing the fur, I think that you can still make it really strong and durable.

And as for the idea that he could be tweaked and become a camel... that is so COOL! I never would have though of that  Cheesy. I was trying to give him somewhat of a projecting primate face, but man, oh man, I never though about a camel... I may have to attempt. I can def. post the pattern though, as soon as I find the book that I happened to use the pieces as a bookmark in Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wwrich
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009 08:08:25 AM »

I just love his little face!!  He looks positively serene.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Monster High dolls lately.

In the Chicago area?  Want to come to a great crafty weekend?  Check out http://www.musecon.org/
the_bees_knees

Artist, Illustrator, & Maker Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009 08:34:16 AM »

He's great! I just love his face. So perfectly Sasquatchy. And thanks so much for posting the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

averyg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009 08:35:58 PM »

Awww.... thanks everyone! The face was by far the hardest part of him... I made so many heads and ntohing seemed to work. The stitch ripper and me became besties Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second star to the right
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009 09:28:54 PM »

Ahhh! Love this! You are very talented!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You know that place between dreaming and awake? Thats the place that I will always love you..."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Host a Caroling Party
Arm Knitting: A Scarf in 30 Minutes?
Tips from a Real Dad: Easy DIY Superhero Capes For Kids
How to Make a Coffee-Filter Tree
Indoor Holiday Branch Tree
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...