A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greeting Card Distress  (Read 2285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 29, 2009 01:03:18 AM »

I'm slowly working on the prep for my very first scrap book. I've saved every little thing since my daughter was born (2.5 years ago... where does the time go!?) including all of the greeting cards. I've got cards from her baby shower to now...

I really want to include these sentiments (or at least some of them) into her baby book, and my first instinct is to cut the front from the back, so that both pieces are visible. However, I really stress out when I think about defiling all of these priceless things. I keep trying to tell myself "Not every scrap of paper that has entered her life is sacred" and I would hope that in 40 years or so, she'd just be happy that I took the time to preserve it all... I just don't want her to regret all the cutting I did.

Someone tell me I'm crazy Tongue

Or, even better, let me know how you handle greeting cards in your scrap books. Links to pics would be fantastic too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kajikit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009 06:16:50 PM »

Remember - a scrapbook page does NOT have to be flat and you don't have to see every single thing on it at first glance... when I made my wedding album I included all our cards at the back of the album. I arranged them nicely and glued them onto the pages and if somebody really wants to read a particular card they can pull that sheet of paper out of the page protector.
As you can see from the pic, I wrote a note next to each card saying who it was from, and I decorated the space inbetween nicely with little page decorations.
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1430090634015899315UITDTn?vhost=family
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Karen aka Kajikit
My Craft blog - http://kajikit.blogspot.com
My Webshots Galleries - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
Paper Shred Jane
Freelancer, Crafter Hobbyist

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009 10:48:13 AM »

You could always scan in the greeting cards before you "defile" them by snipping it into a wondrous new summation of what it said. That's the beauty of being in the digital age, you can scan it and keep it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009 07:32:08 PM »

Jane... that is a FANTASTIC idea! How did I not think of that?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beekeebear
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010 08:33:20 AM »

I saved all the cards from our wedding with the intention of buying and inserting them into a special album for that purpose that I saw at Joann. It's basically a regular album with vertical ribbons that you can slide the cards behind. So the ribbon acts almost like binding--sits in the crease of the card and holds the card down flat against the album page. I can't find an online photo, so I hope that makes sense.

I like Kajikit's suggestion--and you could merge the two ideas. Instead of gluing the card down permanently, glue a ribbon down and use it to hold the card to the page.

And if you use Jane's great suggestion--don't forget to create a back-up!

Happy scrapping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLCM
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012 07:01:47 AM »

I've done different things with greeting cards:

(1) use adhesive corners - then you can always remove the card from the page if you want to do something else with it...

(2) if using the pocket pages, make the page with the card on it, slide the page into the protector and carefully use an xacto knife to make a slit along the fold of the card, but only through the page protector.  Open the card through the slit.  Downside:  front of card isn't protected by the page protector, but you can open it and read the inside without pulling everything apart.

(3) For our Christmas cards I make a separate "album with 2 covered pieces of chipboard and then hole punch the cards and cover and use two binder rings to hold it all together.

Don't know if any of those would work for you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
richardm
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012 09:07:08 AM »

You can also sew the ends of the inner folds, or group them and make them into (a)

Kiss "mini-scrapbook(s)" within a scrapbook  Shocked  
Also, the last part of the card might be blank, fill it with the gift cards--sort of a literal backstory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012 07:59:18 AM »

A friend of mine made a wedding scrapbook. To keep her cards, she cut around just the inside message/signatures and arranged them on a pair of facing pages with a few of her favourite elements from the fronts of the cards. So she had a bunch of poems and personal messages surrounded by angels, wedding bells, and flowers and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

randim

Crafting my way around

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012 07:55:18 AM »

This is what I did with all my wedding cards, you could probably do something similar?

http://www.sowderingabout.com/2011/11/trying-to-tie-up-loose-ends-before-d.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sowdering About
Crafting away

My blog www.sowderingabout.com
scrappingistherapy
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012 04:08:24 PM »

I often make pocket pages to hold cards, invitations, announcements, etc.  That way you can slide them out of the pocket and still look at them.

Pam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock Wet-Look Lids
What Make Up to Wear with a Tan
Will This Glossy Topcoat Transform Your Lipstick Wardrobe?
How to Make a Macha Tea Mask and Coffee Sugar Body Scrub
How to Wear White Eye Makeup - Not Just for Twiggy Wannabes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...