A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I make a plastic mold?  (Read 1146 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mimi Melophile

If you can't dance, don't blame the dance floor.

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2009 07:13:11 PM »

Here's the scoop - I'm trying to make a chocolate skeleton for a cake decoration. I've made a skeleton out of plaster of paris, and I need to figure out how to make a plastic mold of the plaster so I can have a mold for the chocolate. I thought about fusing plastic bags to the plaster, but I don't know how to do it, or if that even works. What can I do?

((Hoping I'm in the right topic - I figured ceramics, clay, whatever. I used plaster, I figure people in this forum use molds... Never ventured over here before, so I hope this is the right place! Cheesy ))
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009 07:14:38 PM by Mimi Melophile » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the ability to hear the music of the future.
Faith is having the courage to dance to it today.
CatCrafter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 02:02:14 PM »

Are you familiar with a "vacuuform" ? It was a Mattel toy made in the late 60's. With it kids could make toys out of plastic. One half of the machine would heat the plastic sheet, then when flipped over the sheet would be pressed down onto the chosen form and a pump would vacuum seal the plastic tight over the form.

There are people who do just this on a larger scale in their own homes. They buy the sheets of plastic and heat them in a low oven. Then they use a home made vacuum table to mold the plastic around what they want to copy.

You could do this using things you have right at home. Many things come in plastic blister packs. Save some of this plastic, the flatter the better. These plastic sheets can be heated in your oven or with a heat gun. Then, when hot and pliable the plastic sheet can be formed over the plaster skeleton by pressing down and pushing the plastic by hand around all the curves and crevices. The plastic can be reheated by using a heat gun on whatever area needs to be redone.

This will only make a copy of one half of the skeleton. It will come out kinda like a jelly or candy mold. You would have to make another mold of the 'back' of the skeleton for a 3D copy. The two molds would be filled separately then the two chocolate halves fitted together using melted chocolate to 'glue' them together.

I hope this helps you. let us know how it comes out!       
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlewrenpottery
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011 08:21:35 AM »

I was about to say sounds like you need a injection mould, the process that cat has described is pretty similar.

The usual way of making molds in pottery is carving something out of clay then encasing it in plaster but this wouldnt have worked in this instance. Tricky question!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk Hand thrown stoneware pottery
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 100 Pokemon: Zekrom
Top 100 Pokemon: The Top 10
Behind the Scenes with Cali Swag District
How to Succeed on Deal or No Deal
How to Succeed at Rock Paper Scissors
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...