A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I glue a postcard to a piece of ceramic tile??  (Read 822 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eightiesbabeyo
« on: October 19, 2009 06:31:59 AM »

Here is what I need to be able to do: I need to take a postcard (or something similar...thick piece of paper with a picture printed on it either that I'm buying from a store already made or that I'm printing myself from my printer at home (whichever will work), matte or glossy paper) and glue it flat to the glossy side of a ceramic tile (like just a square one you'd buy at Lowe's) and then put some kind of a sealer over the top of the picture so that the colors will not run if it gets wet.  Is this possible?

I recently got a little crafty item at a fair, and it looks like the person took a postcard or maybe printed off a picture on photo paper and glued it to the tile.  I'm not sure what they glued it to the tile with because it's very flat to the tile, no bubbling whatsoever, it's on there very well.  The problem I've had when doing it myself is that even using a thick paper, it bubbled and I just used a bit of hot glue on the sides.

The item that I got at the craft fair does have one major problem that I would want to remedy if I can duplicate the design.  The picture on the paper is starting to come off.  I'm not sure what kind of paper it's on, but it's like a rubbery paint is coming off of the paper and that's the picture.  Also, when I picked it up and my finger was a little damp with water, it totally smeared the picture!  I would definitely want to find a way to seal the picture so that it is waterproof and does not happen.  With my first attempt at making this, I tried using a decoupage glue and painting it over the top of the picture, but that ended up smearing the picture I used, so that will obviously not work.  Plus it added to the bubbling of the picture which was obviously more wet then.

Also, if gluing the bottom of a piece of tile (which isn't completely flat) to some cardboard (like matchboxes), what would be the best glue to use so that it doesn't come apart?  I want to be sure if I'm picking this up by the top piece of tile that the weight of the second piece of tile which is also glued to the cardboard boxes won't be too heavy for the glue to hold.  I used hot glue, and I used a decent amount of it, but I don't think it's as indestructible as I want it to be right now...did I just not use enough hot glue or is there something better I could use?

Any ideas or solutions???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatCrafter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 01:47:24 PM »

How water tight do you want this to be? Will this become a coaster, hot plate or actually applied to a wall as tile?  Try using a spray on adhesive. This will help with the bubbling. After spraying the adhesive, use a can, cup or roller to burnish the postcard onto the tile.
   The type of printing ink on the postcard will affect what kind of sealer you use on top. Try a spray can of sealer. Try both water based and enamel/lacquer types. One of these is bound to work. I think the decoupage stays wet too long and has to be brushed on which causes the ink to smear. Something quick drying would work better.
    Also, consider resin as a top coat. A two part resin that you mix and pour might work, especially after sealing the postcard to seal the ink. Just a few ideas. Keep us posted on what works and what doesn't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlewrenpottery
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011 08:16:36 AM »

I'm not entirely sure how this'd work in my mind. What I think you ideally need are some ceramic transfers that you can attach to your tile and then refire in a kiln.

I've never done this before either but heres a great tutorial - http://skinnylaminx.com/2008/06/10/ceramics-transfers-tutorial/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.littlewrenpottery.co.uk Hand thrown stoneware pottery
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shepard Fairey Mural Time Lapse
Jerry Saltz Shows His Favorite Paintings
Andy Warhol: The Last Decade Exhibit Tour
Paints On Ceiling
Chains
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...