A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making your own Dress Form? HELP  (Read 1077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamergirL337
« on: August 28, 2009 04:34:03 PM »

Ok, I want to start making my own clothes and im too poor to spend in the upwards of 100's for a plus size Dress form (the cheapest i found was for about 170$ on EBAY!) But I had seen where someone else bought one and custom fitted it for their own dress size...well i want to completely create one that fits me...I plan on using an old corner Lamp as the post (it actually has 2 arms that come out on the side (2 lamps actually) and then it has the top lamp)

but i was wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips to make the form itself? What to attach it with? etc...
I was thinking of using a fitted tunic to create the form, and then stuffing it with something like cotton? or old fabric? then maybe taking foam board and cutting it to fit inside the tunic? Im not 100% sure on everything though...i just have a few ideas...but any pointers would be greatly helpful!

i don't know if anyone else has done this but I really don't have the money to buy an actual form....and i REALLY need a form...lol so I figured this would be the cheapest way for me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009 04:51:17 PM »

Here are some ideas:  http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3659/clone-yourself-a-fitting-assistant

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamergirL337
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009 06:46:59 PM »

AWESOMe...thanks SO much!

anyone ever try those methods?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikkin
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009 03:14:12 AM »

I've just started making clothes and decided that I needed a dress-form (but not the huge price tag) so I've made a duct tape one over the last couple of days.  I wore an old t-shirt while my boyfriend covered me in tape (2 layers of the stuff) from the neck to the hips and also the upper arms.  He cut it off and I stuffed it woth 2 old pillows and screwed up paper.  I think it's great - it may not ne *exactly* the same shape as me but it's as close as I'm going to get!  I taped a coathanger in the shoulders and a rigid cardboard tube in the base so I can wedge it into a box of books to make it stand.  I totally recommend having a go at it - for the amount of money it cost (ie. very little) I'm really impressed with how it turned out!  Good luck!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikkin
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009 07:59:35 AM »

I finally got around to photographing my effort.  It's not pretty but the cat likes it!

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/174285_18Sep09_front_dummy.JPG

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/174285_18Sep09_side_dummy.JPG

Works a treat too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Quilt Part 2/2
How to Quilt Part 1/2
How to Start Quilting
The History of Quilting in America
A Simple Recipe for Making Soap
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...