A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What was YOUR favorite creation from Episode Two - Pregancy Chic?
Althea's - click to see it - 6 (6.3%)
Carol Hannah's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Christopher's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Epperson's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Gordana's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Irina's - click to see it - 9 (9.4%)
Johnny's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Logan's - click to see it - 1 (1%)
Louise's - click to see it - 13 (13.5%)
Malvin's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Mitchell's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Nicolas's - click to see it - 3 (3.1%)
Qristyl's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Ra'mon-Lawrence's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Shirin's - click to see it - 56 (58.3%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROJECT RUNWAY: Season 6 - Episode 2 - Official Craftster Discussion Thread  (Read 6317 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway_season_6_discussions  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vinnie451
Onna Otaku

Craft or Die!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009 06:36:32 PM »

I knew you guys would like that book. Mine gets used so much just fliping through for inspiration the pages are falling out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now With Craft Blog - http://vinnie451craft.blogspot.com/

"Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great art can come from anywhere." Ego, Ratatouille
FriendlyJas
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009 12:22:30 PM »

Several of the designers, while their looks were not terrible, failed to take into consideration how the hem fell. Many of them were shorter in the front than the back while walking the runway, which is a pet preve of mine while pregnant. It also bothered me they made them use the bellies, but made no mention or thought that pregnant boobs are much larger than those model's. I loved the winning design. And I agree with who went home. While, yes, the chicken suit was better constructed, no pregnant woman would dream of wearing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopee
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009 12:09:36 AM »

I love how Louise's design took into consideration the fact that a pregnant woman's body evolves during pregnancy, and included adjustable waistlines and room for the boob's to grow with. The long black dress with the weaved ribbons on top annoyed me, because no pregnant woman would be able to wear that, those ribbons would barely cover the nipples, let alone any boob based stretch marks that may develop. I thought that the judges, all having experienced pregnancy would have commented on that.

Who watched project runway allstars? A few surprises there....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tundrababe
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009 10:45:59 AM »

I agree with most everyone that Shirin's design was gorgeous and practical. That coat wasn't even necessary for her to make to win. It's almost like she's showing off!

Several of the designers, while their looks were not terrible, failed to take into consideration how the hem fell.

That bothered me too. Dresses ride up, and they're going to ride up even more if you have a growing body. Not to mention when you sit down, the back is going to go way up. Some dresses were way too short, especially in the back.

There doesn't seem to be a consistency in the judging from season to season. Usually vision is rewarded rather than making nice clothes that people will buy. Christian, Jeffrey, etc. - not many people would want to wear their stuff. Yet, like in this episode, they kept someone for having something that could be more wearable if executed well. Never mind that there was nothing unique about it, and it was a second showing of awful sewing. (I thought Malvin's idea was too literal and poorly executed, but he at least attempted to try something different. That usually is worth more on PR than something boring and poorly executed.) They also complain to designers about something, like being tired of a certain look, and when they change it they complain about it. Like Uli in the all-stars challenge. They complained before about her prints, and when she took them away they complained about it! It would be hard to be a contestant, because you'd never really know what they were looking for.

Maybe with new producers and a new channel, the judges are getting more control?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009 05:03:27 PM »

I was definitely surprised in the first ep that Ari was dumped rather than Mitchell, who doesn't seem to be able to sew.  Usually the more... "unique" designers are kept to see what they can do.  Her portfolio on Lifetime's site reflects a very Burning Man sort of style; cool, but can it really be translated to "normal" clothes?  I guess we'll never know.

I was less surprised that Mitchell was kept in the second round. I felt his concept was good, execution obviously not so much.  I think the judges were looking at the final concept for who to keep in the second round; Malvin's concept was totally off the mark whereas Mitchell's was right on.  If he can pull it together and get his projects done right, it could be interesting.  I can't say I'm super impressed with his portfolio though - he's really into that messy, loads of draping effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009 11:28:14 PM »

I found an online tute for lattice smocking!!!! http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/canadian.php Okay, now I have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009 07:06:31 AM »

I found an online tute for lattice smocking!!!! http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/canadian.php Okay, now I have to try this.

I have used this tutorial, very easy to follow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deeder
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009 07:26:20 PM »

Thank you sooo much for posting that tutorial. I purchased a not-very-flattering jersey maternity dress on clearance at Target this past weekend hoping some savvy Craftster could help me add a braid to the waist like Shirin's dress.

I have to agree, most of those hemlines were waaaay too short. I'm five months pregnant, not even showing that much and I wouldn't feel comfortable in those. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009 11:24:17 AM »

Ok, the judges are confusing me as well! They talk of some things being boring....And I don't see it. And then they speak of how amazing something is....I don't see it! I keep up on this stuff because I work (well, not at the moment) in the fashion industry and went to design school. But really, I think for all our talk of being a fabulous pretentious designer/ model/ stylists, all our taste is in our mouth! Some things are obviously going to please the masses, and the rest, to each his own I guess Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2009 11:37:27 AM »

I agree with those who’ve said that Heidi’s sewing ability doesn’t affect her judging ability.  The skills of creating and critiquing are separate skills, and a person may be good at one without knowing anything about the other. 

it's a shame they didn't strive to make the models look pregnant up top, too--it was really unrealistic. 

That was my thought, too!  Teeny, skinny B-cup model + bump-pad ≠ pregnant lady.  My sister went from a D-cup to a G-cup during her pregnancy. All those tiny little straps for bodices (such as Irina's dress) would’ve been like trying to cover up a canteloupe with a shoe lace.

What I didn’t like about Malvin’s outfit is that it looked exactly like a baby sling.   There’s conceptual, and then there’s “baby shower joke costume masquerading as couture”.   Furthermore, the challenge was specifically supposed to be for something chic, flattering, and wearable, NOT something conceptual.  Malvin came across to me as either so arrogant that he didn’t care to listen to others, or with such poor social skills that he didn’t know how (probably the second).  Either way, he certainly wasn’t going to benefit any from being on the show any longer. 

My favorite was split between Shirin’s smart coat and dress ensemble, and Gordana’s chic but cozy sweater, top, and leggings.  I loved how Gordana’s outfit had different textures in a subtle color palette; I loved the pretty, cozy, lacy sweater; and I loved how the fitted leggings and satin top hinted at sexiness while the covered arms and legs kept everything conservative. 

I also liked the modern-with-a-nod-to-vintage look of Irina’s design (loved that little ivory tulle flower-like embellishment on the otherwise streamlined turquoise sundress), though it was pretty much unwearable as-is (too short, uneven hem, teeny bodice). 

I was surprised that both of the first two cuts were for being too avant-garde.  I hope enough crazy is kept on the runway (just the runway; I’m not a big fan of drama in the sewing room) to keep things interesting and inspiring. 

Oooh, cool!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 11:43:03 AM by Juniper_Ann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Table Top Christmas Tree
American Made: Mountain Boy Sledworks
How to Make Felt Design Displays
Homemade Cards for the Holidays with Martha Stewart
Holiday Food Packaging with Martha Stewart
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...