A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What was YOUR favorite creation from Episode Two - Pregancy Chic?
Althea's - click to see it - 6 (6.3%)
Carol Hannah's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Christopher's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Epperson's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Gordana's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Irina's - click to see it - 9 (9.4%)
Johnny's - click to see it - 2 (2.1%)
Logan's - click to see it - 1 (1%)
Louise's - click to see it - 13 (13.5%)
Malvin's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Mitchell's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Nicolas's - click to see it - 3 (3.1%)
Qristyl's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Ra'mon-Lawrence's - click to see it - 0 (0%)
Shirin's - click to see it - 56 (58.3%)
Total Voters: 96

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROJECT RUNWAY: Season 6 - Episode 2 - Official Craftster Discussion Thread  (Read 6408 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway_season_6_discussions  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pertelot
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009 07:28:23 AM »

I really don't think the egg guy should have been kicked off either, I was really surprised he was.  He may have taken his idea alittle too literally, but at least it was sewn well and had good craftsmanship
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009 07:37:20 AM »

I thought they were all very attractive-- in theory.  In practice, I think most of the designers have never actually met a real live pregnant woman.  Maternity clothing that does not permit a bra is tantamount to torture... and frankly, I don't think most ladies at nine months would like a skirt so short that you can't bend over without flashing someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stlphotogal
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009 07:41:12 AM »

I thought the winning design was absolutely gorgeous - the jacket was beautiful and I was blown away that all was made in 1.5 days. I loved Louise's design as well - especially that she dyed the lace herself - in the sink of the bathroom no less!  

I was SHOCKED that the judges didn't elect to drop both of the final two designers - the construction/execution on the shorts outfit was horrid and the other design concept was pretty out there (although I'll give him that the construction was okay).

All in all I love the new season so far - my fave designers so far are Shirin, Louise and Irina. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009 08:01:13 AM »

Okay the winning design was marvelous i mean really special.  It was so cohesive and very modern yet classic at the same time, i loved the braided waist line it was really flattering to the belly. However i don't think that the guy who made the shorts should have stayed. Honestly hes already had two major flub ups and i just don't feel like he puts as much effort into it as everyone else does. I don't know i mean i know the chicken concept was a little out there but it was something that was really thought about and i thought it was a very interesting concept.

I completely agree. He should be gone.  I seem to like his personality, and I guess I can see that he put a lot of work into smocking that neck piece the first time, and maybe the judges felt bad for his rant about the measurements, but those shorts were TRAGIC. I'm sorry, that's two giant screw ups next to people who did a good job but were just a little out there. I don't think that he should still be in the competition.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009 08:03:18 AM »

Maternity clothing that does not permit a bra is tantamount to torture... .

Cheesy I thought that, too! So unrealistic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009 08:19:13 AM »

... the construction/execution on the shorts outfit was horrid and the other design concept was pretty out there ...

I couldn't agree more.  

I wonder:

Concept aside, why on earth would anyone design clothing for the most vulnerable time in any woman's life that suggests she is nothing more than a barnyard animal?  Considering it came from a 23 year old, self-described as gender-neutral, the total lack of understanding of the task he was asked to perform was cringe worthy, made even worse by his parting comments.  This kid obviously thinks he has all the answers.  He should start asking a few questions first.

As for those shorts, which were cut for maybe a size 50 or larger waistline, if sewing skills are so necessary, which this kid obviously lacks, how come these contestants are not pre-screened for their sewing abilities?  I think they purposely throw in a few who can't sew so we can watch Nina Garcia throw a hissy fit or two.  It makes for great television, even if it does annoy those of us who do sew.

I also observe that these designers seemed to be trained only to fit body types that are not found on "normal" women.  It drives me nuts that they think a size 10 or 12 is plus size and "impossible," which may account for the unrealistic attitudes that young women have about their own bodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009 09:35:39 AM »

The first thing I thought of when I saw Malvins dress was "OMG it looks like a sling!"  and then that's what the judges said also lol.

The shorts were hideous, as for his sewing abilities, I think anyone who can operate a machine with enough time can execute a design, but that's the key here, "with enough time".  The fast pace is killing him.

I know they liked that long black dress, but from a twice over pg chick, it was scary, I would never have worn it because my boobs wouldn't have stayed in those tiney bikini top she had going on.

I liked Louis's dress best, it was definately something I would have worn.

Ra'mons dress scared me. 

Everything else was really great design wise, I sat there thinking where were all these great maternity ideas when I was pg and resorted to T-shirts and pg pants because the outfits where horrid at the time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

larahspee
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009 10:16:41 AM »

So, I'd like to know if there is a tutorial or a definition of the technique that Shirin used to braid that waistline? I'm like, totally in love and awe and need to know how to do it, NOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what an excellent day for an exorcism!
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009 10:26:15 AM »

So, I'd like to know if there is a tutorial or a definition of the technique that Shirin used to braid that waistline? I'm like, totally in love and awe and need to know how to do it, NOW.

I know! It was soooo pretty. If you go here and watch the "extended judging" of the dress:
http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/project-runway/project-runway-designers/shirin-askari
she says a little bit about how she did it. She said it was a smocking technique. She also says a little bit about it in the video where Tim talks to her as she's making it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009 10:27:17 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009 10:26:52 AM »

She smocked it in.  If you watch the episode again, they asked her if she was smocking and she said 'Yes, it's time consuming but totally worth the result, but time consuming"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009 10:27:42 AM by Cheyenneswthrt07 - Reason: cause my spelling sucks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photography Supplies and Gear For Cold Weather Shoots
3 Rules for Better Underwater Photos
Unearthing The Work Of A Secret Nanny Photographer
How to Shoot Food Photos Like a Pro
Me And My Mannequin Husband
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...