A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advice on Afghan  (Read 520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 26, 2009 06:19:59 PM »

So I haven't posted on here in a while reason being I've been slaving away on this afghan that I decided to make for my friend who's getting married in a couple weeks. Why I decided to take this project on I'll never know especially considering I hate granny squares. Anyways I put it down for a while and now I've decided since it's crunch time I need to finish it this is what I have so far, the squares are in her and her future hubby's favorite colors:

Anyways I have the last three squares but I'm not sure if i should make it bigger or just leave it? it's 62"x52" right now. And I'm thinking about adding a border. But I'm not sure about that either. I'd love to know what you guys think and if you have any ideas for stitches that I could use for a border. i'd rather not use a shell stitch and I don't know how i feel about a basic single or double crochet around the edge. And of course any motivation to finish this thing is also appreciated  Grin
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009 06:20:49 PM by whyme81687 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009 01:52:34 AM »

well, i think it looks lovely.  i personally would just stop with the squares you have.  as far as a border, my thought is three rows of SC (yeah, i know you said you don't want to SC, but this is my idea Tongue) alternating colors, dark/light/dark, maybe even do the light row as a puff stitch.  then maybe put some big tassels in the corners, or do a picot stitch around the edge.  ok, those are my thoughts.

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009 04:19:13 AM »

I agree on the puff stitch going around
If the squares are done with a dc then I would do a dc around - if it is a sc then do the sc round - but I'd do two rounds of sc.  You want to keep your border the same type of stitch so that the border kind of lays the same was as the body of the blanket.  If you go too lacy or tight it won't look right, ya know?  Do that in the darker color then do a round of the puffs then another identical round(s) as you did before the round of puffs.  After that I would do a reverse sc round possibly but use a larger hook so it isn't too tight.  You can also do a round of picots if you don't want a shell.  I just think a round of sc's doesn't ever look like it is totally finished ya know??   And remember you can do small shells like a slip, (sc,hdc,sc) in the next, slip just to give it a little wave without going overboard.

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009 07:16:06 AM »

Thanks guys! I love the idea of a puff stitch, this is why I turn to craftsters they always come up with things I would have never thought of! Cheesy  I think I'll continue brainstorming what the outermost row will look like while I work on that.

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash Panzanella
New Football Stadium Foods Include a 40% Bacon, 60% Beef Burger
How to Make Short Ribs and Whipped Potatoes
How to Make an Open-Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make a Garlic Chicken BLT
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...