A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tute for the "hats for classmates" img heavy!!!  (Read 3380 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMina
« on: August 26, 2009 04:06:16 PM »

hi again. I posted some pics of the hats I made for my classmates and here is the tute to make the general hat shape. they are all made the same starting from brim to top. I'm not a professional and I've never read a pattern before so if any thing confuses you please let me know! ready? set? crochet!

here is the final hat I made today for myself, I like them snug on my head but there are so many options to make it your own!

This is pretty easy if you can chain stitch and double crochet in a circle and skip stitches (on purpose, dun dun dahhhh!)

so here we go:
step one gather your supplies, I used Hobby Lobby's baby bee sweet delight, but hearts and soul would be just as easy, keep in mind the smaller the yarn the more work you will have! and not to mention more lil holes. so if thats what you want go for it. the panda hat on my first post was made with a thick yarn so the holes are hard to see. Keep in mind also that the size of your yarn will decide the size of your needle!

as you can see I used the h/5mm

step two:

start with a slip stitch! proceed to single crochet a chain...

.....to fit around your noodle/noggin/melon. with the tiny yarn I used mine was 100sc

step three:

loop your needle back through the first stitch. make sure that it is straight to prevent the frustration of re doing it!

step four:

I crocheted around the ring again to add thickness so it doesn't look so sloppy when your done!

step five:

ok now that your frustrated with the lil yarn..... you can single crochet twice off into space. or three times depending on how big you want the holes in your hat. I did two single crochet here in this picture:

this will start the pattern of the hat, I double crocheted every other stitch but if you want the holes bigger like this one:

skip two or three stitches and do your double crochet. make sure to compensate for the skipped stitches with a single crochet. Yarn over, and double crochet in your next chosen stitch!

step six:

your first row should look something like this:
like a lil ladder! ok now to do the rest of the rows you double crochet in the gap from the first row.( just like a granny square)

step seven:
 keep going around and around (like a record baby) until you have reached the length you want or if you want to change colors! should look like:

to change colors I take the new yarn and loop it through the loop I just made, like this:

I hope this makes sense, but you just make a new loop out of your new color and continue on with that color.

and

step eight:

ok so you go along doing your double crochet until you want to start closing up the top, to do that just skip a gap!

step nine:
keep skipping holes systematically so it will look something like this:

step ten:
Almost done!
keep going!

step eleven:
keep the spiral going until you run out of room!

step twelve:
weave in any loose yarn from color changes and the start and the end and enjoy!!

special note:
This hat is meant to be personalized so make it as big, small, long, short as you want! to make the holes bigger just add more double crochets to the gap ( like grannie squares) if you try this please post it so I can see!

Here are the extras!! easy peasy add ons!!

I made a lil pink hat as my example. It took me 20 minutes so please no comments on it, I know its not my best work! its just an example of how to use the add ons!

here is the Ruffle

around the bottom edge if there is a single crochet chain simply single crochet two off into space like this:

then double crochet in the next stitch, then single crochet one:

continue this all the way around the brim to create this:

just an example

on the crap example hat.

panda hat

ok you want to know how to make panda ears to sew to the top of your hats??

single crochet a chain to the desired width. flip with no turning stitch and continue to make a triangle!

I made a tiny one just for example!

now if you sew it on like this (with the same yarn and a yarn needle) you get lil round ears like the panda hat:

or you can sew it on like this to make kitty ears!:

like sew...tee hee...

ok let me know if any of this makes sense! C+C Welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hair,cars,yarn,and resin. I've got it covered!
LoveIsOrange
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009 04:49:05 PM »

Thanks, I haven't tried making a hat from the bottom up before, and your hats look really cute. It could totally help me out on bad hair day. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009 05:30:13 PM »

This is wonderful, i enjoy your hats, thank you. By the way, you have some lucky friends. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandalouise!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009 06:11:02 PM »

thanks so much  Cheesy
your hats are fantastic!
and your tute looks wicked easy to follow, i love how you posted pics to go with it.
i think i'm going to go settle down with some true bloods episodes and try to make a hat  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beavisfreak
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009 09:22:48 AM »

i tried to make a hat from a book last night and just couldn't get it.  yours looks wayyy easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weasels vs. birds!!!
MissMina
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009 10:39:37 AM »

Thank you, I like easy patterns that show me how to do it or it looks like:
e=4563
cnseomgdn+kjsgnrekorgn
what is the answer?

so if there is anything else you want a tute made of, that is if I can even make it. let me know! I like a challenge!

Also the one gal was a lil pissed that I posted her pic on here, so I must apologize to her! Also yes my friends are spoiled, I can't wait to make them stuff for christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Endrina
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009 08:36:20 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing these tutorials with us!! I'll definitely try the first one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the dreamer is awake...

http://swirlingrealities.blogspot.com/
MandaRenee
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009 10:31:55 AM »

how interesting.  I've never made a hat from the brim up before.  I love the multi colored yarn you used. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
MissMina
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009 12:17:41 PM »

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009 10:23:18 AM »

Super thanks for the wicked tute!!! I was looking at your post the other day saying how I wanted a hat like the first one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Pumpkin Carving Tips
How to Make Decoupage Plates
How to Make a Plate
Sewing: Dealing with Lower Thread Breaking
Sewing: Ensuring Tight Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...