A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Laptop Cozy - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 6773 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewingRepublic
« on: August 26, 2009 08:55:11 AM »

Sponsored Project - Custom Laptop Cozy from SewingRepublic.com

Custom Laptop Cozy

by Kathryn Goodman and Nikki Smith

Materials
  • 1 yard of cotton fabric for the cozy exterior (or piece together strips or patches to make 1 yard of fabric)
  • 1 yard of cotton fabric for the cozy interior
  • 1 yard of cotton or polyester low-loft fusible batting
  • 1 yard 1/2 wide hook-and-loop tape (optional)
  • Matching thread

Tools
  • Scissors or rotary cutter
  • Flexible tape measure
  • Yardstick
  • Straight pins
  • Fabric marker or chalk
  • Turning tool or wooden chopstick
  • Blind hem/edge stitch sewing machine foot (optional)

Steps

Measuring
Note: Pre-wash and iron fabrics before cutting. All pattern pieces include 1/2
seam allowance unless otherwise noted.

1. Using a flexible measuring tape, measure around the width of your laptop. Be sure to wrap the tape all the way around, as if you were measuring your waist.

2. Take the width of your laptop and divide it by 2. Take your answer, add 2. This number will be the width of your pattern piece. For example, the width of my laptop measures 31. When I divide this number by 2, my answer is 15 1/2. I add 2 to this number and my final number is 17 1/2. Therefore, my pattern width is 17 1/2.

3. Next, for the length of your pattern, measure around the length of your laptop. Again, be sure to wrap the tape all the way around, as if you were measuring your waist.

4. Take the length of your laptop and multiply it by 1.5. Take your answer add 1. This number will be length of your pattern. For example, the length around my laptop measures 22 1/2. When I multiply this number by 1.5 my answer is 33 3/4. I add 1 to this number and my final number is 34 3/4. Therefore, my pattern length is 34 3/4.

Cutting

5. Using your yardstick mark a rectangle directly onto your exterior fabric using the measurements from the previous step. (width x length) Cut out your interior lining fabric and fusible interfacing using the same method. An easy way to do this is to fuse the interfacing to the fabric and then cut out the rectangle.

6. If you choose to make a fabric strip for holding your cozy closed, then from your lining fabric you will also need to cut a strip measuring 5 by the width of your laptop pattern piece. If you choose to use hook-and-loop tape, skip this step.

Sewing

7. Fuse batting to the exterior fabric:
On a large surface, place the fusible batting panel adhesive-side-up. Carefully lay the exterior fabric right-side-up over the batting panel. Smooth out the fabric being careful to line up all edges. Fuse the batting to the exterior fabric by pressing with an iron, following the manufacturers instructions. Set fused fabric and batting piece aside.

8. Construct the fabric strip:
Follow these steps if you are making the fabric strip to close your cozy. If you want to use hook-and-loop tape, skip this step. With the wrong side of the strap facing up, fold the long edges over by 1/2 and press. Next, fold the two long edges together, press, and pin into place.

9. Edge stitch along each long edge. (If you have a blind hem/edge foot for your sewing machine, use it nowit makes for a super-neat finish! If you dont have one, just stitch about 1/8 away from the edge!) Set finished strap piece aside.

10. Assemble the exterior and interior pieces:
On a large surface, place the exterior fabric panel batting side down on a large surface. Next, place the lining fabric panel wrong-side-down over the exterior panel. Make sure the right sides of the fabrics are facing each other. Carefully smooth out the fabric, lining up all edges.

11. Pin the fabrics together along the four sides.

12. Stitch around the edges using a 1/2 seam allowance, leaving a 6 opening along one of the sides for turning. Gently pull the batting up from the exterior fabric along the seam allowances and trim the batting close to the stitches. Be careful not to cut the fabrics!

13. Clip corners.

14. Turn fabrics right-side-out through the 6 opening, gently pushing the corners out with the turning tool. Press. Handstitch opening closed.

15. Constructing the laptop cozy:
Edge stitch along the bottom of the short side of the fabric piece. Place the fabric piece lining-side-up and edgestitched-side on the bottom. From the bottom, fold the fabric up by 1/3 of the length of the piece and pin into place. If you are working with a directional print, double-check to make sure it is going in the desired direction.

16. Next, measure up 3 from the folded edge on each side of the cozy, and mark with an erasable fabric marker or chalk.

17. If you choose to make a fabric strap closure for your cozy, insert one end of the strap by 1/2 into the side at the 3 mark. Pin into place.

18. Beginning at the bottom of the cozy on the side where you have inserted the strap, edge stitch along that side and around the flap until you reach about 2" away from the opposite chalk mark. Stopping with your needle in the down position, pull the other end of the strap around and insert it in the seam at the opposite mark, making sure it lies smooth across the fabric.

19. Begin stitching again, and just before you meet the mark, pull the strap up slightly so you can stitch underneath the strap.

20. Continue stitching until you reach the end.
If you want to use hook-and-loop tape, cut one piece the width of the cozy, and
stitch down along this line, removing enough pins so that you can stitch all the
way across. Then, re-pin the cozy sides, and edge stitch both sides of cozy.

21. Place your laptop inside the cozy, close the flap, and measure where to
stitch the other piece of the hook-and-loop tape. Then mark with fabric marker
or chalk. Open the fl ap, and pin and stitch the hook-and-loop tape in place. Trim threads and lightly press. Slip your laptop into its new cozy!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009 08:57:00 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009 05:29:45 PM »

Hey thanks for posting that! It's cute. I'm not sure if I will have time to make one because I'm a busy college student but if I do I'll make one and post it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
uluru
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009 01:34:49 AM »

Awesome! My new laptop is arriving tomorrow, and I've just started a new job next to a fabric shop!! Smiley Perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WISTS: http://www.wists.com/uluru

WEB DEISGN PORTFOLIO: www.mariewilkins.co.uk
maeveyo
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009 03:42:34 AM »

sweet, i got a new laptop the other day and got a plain black one with it but its just so boring.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009 01:33:18 PM »

That would be cute but wouldn't offer much protection.  Maybe if you used foam instead of batting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Padester
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009 02:51:48 PM »

Cool pattern, but I am confused on how the laptop would fit in if you multiply the length by 1.5 and then fold it over . . . I would think you'd need to multiply by 2, yes?  If I'm incorrect, could you please explain it to me?  I'd like to try one, but don't want to waste material if the measurements are incorrect . . .

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iris656
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009 02:21:00 PM »

Really nice idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadeByMo
MadeByMo

Inspired by Nature

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009 01:44:53 AM »

great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnilump
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009 12:07:57 PM »

I found this at the perfect time. My husband just got a laptop for his new job and needs a bag/cozy. I wasn't sure how much batting would be needed to pad it.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
filthy_rat
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009 03:38:20 PM »

how clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Text Glow Effect
How to Blur The Background on an Image in Gimp
How to Make Text Effects Instantly in Gimp
How to Make Funny Cartoons with Existing Pictures
How to Make HD-Quality Videos with Camtasia Studio
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...