A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower hair clips -- with TUTORIAL!  (Read 69675 times)
Tags for this thread: flower_hair_accessory , tutorial , holiday_party_accessories , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009 05:19:21 AM »

Wow! These are awesome! I think I'll make a few for my sisters for Christmas. I'm trying to put together a few quick gifts for each of them, but that still look fancy, and these are perfect! Does ANY kind of poly work? What section would I look in at the fabric store....the bridal/dress fabrics?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2009 12:29:14 PM »

Wow! These are awesome! I think I'll make a few for my sisters for Christmas. I'm trying to put together a few quick gifts for each of them, but that still look fancy, and these are perfect! Does ANY kind of poly work? What section would I look in at the fabric store....the bridal/dress fabrics?

Thanks!  As for ANY kind, I'm no expert, so I'm sorry I can't answer that.   But yes, the kind in the bridal/formal fabrics would be the way to go, as that's what I use.  I use dress linings from reclaimed thrift store dresses, and they're listed on the tags as 100% polyester, and they're silky.  Please be sure to share your pics with us! Smiley

On another note, My sister made some of these recently, and she used the old-fashioned type of polyester -- not silky, but stretchy and almost jersey-like -- and they still melted and curled a bit, but not as much as the silky kind.  They're very interesting.

Now, just be careful, like the tute warns.  We recently had one lovely rust-colored lining fabric that immediately burst into flames, no matter how careful we were, or how far we kept it from the flame!   Shocked  We couldn't use it at all.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 12:34:34 PM by barbolot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stafishtaylz
Don't lose your dinosaur.

I have a rock, I have an iron.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009 08:04:22 AM »

I finally got around to getting some fabric to make these. I made 2 sets for each of my sisters for Christmas, and placed them on some cardstock. I notched the cardstock so the flowers would be almost flush with the cardstock and not hanging over the sides. I'm still trying to find a way to wrap them so that the flowers dont get crushed....any suggestions???

THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009 10:00:02 AM »

GORGEOUS!  I really love the larger, fuller ones!  Your sisters will love these! 

As for wrapping, you could make some pillow boxes.  There are lots of tutorials out there for them, and they're quick & easy!  To wrap mine for my swap partner, I wrapped them in a homemade match box, just patterned off a regular old matchbox.  Lots of tutes/templates out there for these, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess_Bubblie
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009 07:47:11 PM »

These are SO cute. I will be trying this as soon as I get my hands on some fabric. Thanks for the tutorial... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ B u b b l i e ]
moniqueramsey
I love to do personal swaps

I love to do personal swaps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2009 02:27:54 PM »

These are adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Monique
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.PersephoneRose. etsy.com
28 Swaps down, 2 to go
katherine8504
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2009 03:31:24 PM »

So I saw your flowers and tutorial and had to try them myself.  I'm afraid mine aren't as pretty, but they were fun to make and I'll definitely wear them!  I'm giving them away to my girlfriends for Christmas.  I wish I had gone with beads instead of buttons, but I think they turned out OK.  

Thank you for the tutorial!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010 02:51:55 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: Edited to allow newbie's pics to show » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----------

"All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!" Lucy, 'Peanuts'
McJulie-O
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2009 08:55:38 AM »

So I saw your flowers and tutorial and had to try them myself.  I'm afraid mine aren't as pretty, but they were fun to make and I'll definitely wear them!  I'm giving them away to my girlfriends for Christmas.  I wish I had gone with beads instead of buttons, but I think they turned out OK.  I can only provide links because I don't have enough posts under my belt to be allowed to post images:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/katherine8504/DSCN1194.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/katherine8504/DSCN1240.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/katherine8504/DSCN1339.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/katherine8504/DSCN1235.jpg

Thank you for the tutorial!

Oh, those are GORGEOUS! Perfect for gifts! ...and I love the one with the gradations of color!! This is JUST the inspiration I need for a hard-to-buy-for sister!

Thank you, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2009 09:50:46 AM »

Lovely! And a really excellent tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trutdelamode
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2009 06:39:25 AM »

I tried a tutorial about making flowers like yours a couple months back, but I was never able to get the petals to curl without melting the fabrics. I think I'll give it another go though, yours turned out really pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - Wearing Plaids in Punk Fashion
Jeanius - Alexandra Cronan on Crop Tops
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on Denim Fashion
Kerry Washington’s Cover Photo Shoot for Vanity Fair’s August 2013 Issue
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Cait Barker
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...