A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower hair clips -- with TUTORIAL!  (Read 69726 times)
Tags for this thread: flower_hair_accessory , tutorial , holiday_party_accessories , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2009 08:32:24 PM »

We recently spent an afternoon crafting some lovely hair bobbies. These are so simple to make! The flowers can be used in many different ways, as well -- hair clips, brooches, pins, embellishments. . . .

We used reclaimed dress linings to make these -- I had plenty left over from my deconstruction for sachets, and I never knew what to do with this type of fabric before. It's a synthetic fabric, a silky polyester.

(CAUTION: please use extreme caution when using this tutorial, as a flame is used in this process. Do NOT allow children or pets near the flame, and do not allow children to play with the flame, burn themselves or anyone/anything else. I am not responsible for any accidents or injuries resulting from this tutorial.)

To make these little hair bobbies (or clips, brooches, pins, etc.), you will need:

**synthetic fabric, such as polyester
**scissors
**candle and matches/lighter
**glass jar, filled with water
**clothes pin
**a piece of foil
**needle
**thread
**beads, buttons or other embellishments
**hair bobby, clip, pin blank, etc.
**strong adhesive, such as E6000

1. Cut out circles (or whatever shape you like) from the polyester that are slightly larger than your desired finished flower size. We used concentric circles for ours for a fuller, layered look. Be sure to cut a few extra, to allow for experimenting and mess-ups.

2. Light your candle, and place on a sturdy surface, away from flammables, pets and children. Place your jar of water within reach.

3. Using a clothes pin, hold one fabric circle over -- not in -- the flame of the candle.

Quickly rotate the fabric circle above the flame. The fabric will curl and may change colors.

You'll want to experiment with a few extra circles, as different fabrics will act uniquely when held near the flame. Some will curl in one direction, some turn colors, some crinkle. Holding them closer to the flame or longer will also achieve different results. Once you've achieved the look you want, set the circle aside on the foil to cool.

4. Repeat on all the fabric circles. Extinguish your candle when you are finished.

5. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: If you hold the fabric circle still for too long, or too close to the flame, it will scorch and/or catch on fire. If this happens, quickly and carefully place the burning fabric in the jar of water to extinguish the flame. Be very vigilant -- as some fabrics tend to ignite quicker than others!

6. Next, arrange and stack your fabric circles (petals) into flowers.

7. Using your needle and thread, sew a few stitches through all the layers of petals -- just a little "X" will do -- fastening all the petals together. Tie off thread in the back of the flower.

8. Now, attach your flower center. If you are using beads or buttons, stitch them in place, tying off the thread in the back of the flower. If you are using other embellishments, a strong adhesive (such as E6000) may be used to attach them to the flower.

9. Finally, attach your flower to a hair bobby, clip or pin back using your strong adhesive.

10. Set aside on the foil, and allow it to dry thoroughly, according to your adhesive's recommendation.

And that's it! So simple, and so pretty. The possibilities are endless -- imagine these flowers layered with ribbon, mesh, tulle, organza. . . or topped with an antique brooch or cameo! These would make sweet little gifts for teachers, co-workers and friends, or even lovely stocking stuffers. Have fun!

(And for anyone interested, I do have a little video posted on my blog of me burning a few petals.  Nothing fancy, but it does show how quickly they burn.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012 11:45:03 AM by barbolot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009 08:53:57 PM »

FABULOUS tutorial! (and lovely results!) I've always wanted to try these, and now that I've seen such a great step-by-step I have no excuse not to! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009 09:17:47 PM »

I too have wanted to do some of these, my friend would LOVE these!!
THANK YOU for sharing this with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
squeaky_kleen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009 09:21:22 PM »

This is such an awesome idea! I will definitely be making some of these soon. Thank you for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/
sallyb
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009 12:00:59 AM »

These are beautiful and look so delicate and elegant!  Thank you for the great tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fibreartist4life
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009 12:57:10 AM »

Very elegant looking when finished.  Thanks for the Tutorial, well done - great pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jatoha
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009 07:32:08 AM »

Wow,these are so gorgeous! thank you so much for the tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009 07:39:17 AM »

Wow, so that's how they're done! I love these, I'm going to have to give them a try! Thanks so much! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheetahChiq78
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009 08:05:34 AM »

I just went and bought 1/4 yd. of 15 diff fabrics to make these!

I've used one of those handheld lighters that you sort of hold like a gun and has a long barrel thing, and they work well, but I went and bought a heat tool like this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2907&PRODID=prd20134 and just put a small rock in the center of the petal to keep it from blowing away, and it works well because I don't have to worry about burning myself. I just put the petal on a piece of marble I had, then put the rock on the petal and heat away! Works really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it. Let me not look for allies in life's battlefield but to my own strength.
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009 08:10:57 AM »

Y'all are so welcome!  I had looked for an online tute for these myself, and when I couldn't find one, I decided to experiment.  Luckily, I began experimenting near the sink, as my first petal erupted in flames!  (Quite a surprise!)  So I just wanted to share, and spare others from singed fingertips.  Wink

I just went and bought 1/4 yd. of 15 diff fabrics to make these!

I've used one of those handheld lighters that you sort of hold like a gun and has a long barrel thing, and they work well, but I went and bought a heat tool like this http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2907&PRODID=prd20134 and just put a small rock in the center of the petal to keep it from blowing away, and it works well because I don't have to worry about burning myself. I just put the petal on a piece of marble I had, then put the rock on the petal and heat away! Works really well!
Great tip, CheetahChiq78!  Please post some pics of your flowers for us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor Book Trailer
Elisa Albert on Her Book: the Book of Dahlia
The List Book Trailer by Tara Ison
Tips on Writing from Philippa Gregory
Melissa Anelli Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...