A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown Button Bag Tutorial  (Read 23502 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , fabric_bag , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DisneyP
« on: August 25, 2009 07:34:06 PM »

Phew!! This tutorial took my about 10 years to load, but here it is!
This is a fun little bag I made for a requested tutorial from a member. It's pretty easy, but there are a lot of steps!

1) Choose a fabric for the bag, and a coordinating fabric for the liner. Start by cutting out 2 of these shapes on a fold. Each piece should be 6 1/4" on bottom, and 12 1/2" on top when folded. Unfolded, it will be 12 1/5" on the bottom, and 25" on top.
 I'm sorry I don't have a template, but it shouldn't be too hard to freehand!

2) Out of the same fabric, cut three strips that are 6"X27".

3) Use your first cut-outs as a template and cut 2 more pieces (on the fold) out of your lining fabric.

4) Unfold the lining pieces and place them right sides together, pin, and sew along the two sides and bottom.

5) Then set your machine to the longest stitch and sew a gathering stitch all the way around the top layer of the lining. You should just have one layer of fabric, because you're not sewing anything together.
6) Pull the top thread to gather the top of the lining until it is 25" around (12 1/2 lying flat).

7) Now lay your outer fabric pieces on top of each other, right sides together, pin. and sew sides and bottom just like the lining.

Cool Clip your corners and turn the bag right side out.

9) Starting in the middle, fold over the fabric about 1/4"-1/2" to make pleats all the way around the fabric. Make sure they are nice and even, and that the opening is 25" around, 12 1/2" lying flat.

10) Tuck the lining inside the bag, wrong sides facing each other so you see the pretty side of the fabric when you look in the bag. Match the side seams of the bag to the side seams of the lining, and pin.
11) Sew them together with a basting (long) stitch, to hold it together while you are doing the next step....

12) Take all three of your 6x27" strips and fold over the edges, then press with an iron to hold (I had to use pins because I used an upholstery weight fabric).

*I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the most difficult part!*
13) Fold over one of your long strips (width wise) so that it's about 2 1/2 wide and press. Open it up, and pin one edge of the strip (with wrong side facing up) all the way around the top of your bag on the lining side,  and sew on. Fold down the other side of the strip (it should be right side facing up now, and about 2 1/2" wide) and pin it all the way around your bag on the outer side.  Sew all the way around.  *You can also try just sandwiching the bag between the long strip while it's folded, but that's a little more tricky!).

14) When you're finished sewing the strip on, you'll want to fold the ends under each other and sew them together.

15) Your other two strips are going to be your straps. Fold the two sides that you pressed on top of each other, and sew right on top of them, all the way down.

When you get to the ends, fold them under and sew over them as well...

And then sew all the way down the other side, just to give it a finished look.

16) Now you can pin them on the bag, wherever you like.

17) And sew three of the sides of each strap onto the bag, leaving the top unstitched.

18) Hand stitch your buttons to the bottoms of the two front straps.

Pin a flower on if you like! I had already made this flower, so I couldn't take pics for a tutorial. But basically what you do is make another strap with the lining fabric and make a gathering stitch along the bottom, gather it, and roll it in the shape of a flower. Then you can hand stitch the bottom of the flower and glue to a safety pin thingy.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 05:04:01 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananapeprzz
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009 08:24:27 PM »

Love it!  More incentive to learn to sew Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msmagoo
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009 05:17:36 AM »

I love this, its BE-yoo-TI-ful! haha hows that for enthusiasm! I think I might try to sew this purse this weekend!

I've only recently started attempting to sew things seriously, and I tried to start with a dress first... Huh lets just say I was a bit over ambitious!

If I manage to create this pretty as a picture purse, I will post some pics.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_sweet_little_ramona
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009 12:09:20 PM »

What a lovely little purse and i really like the buttons on it. After I'd done unpacking all my good (we just moved) I'd like to attempt to create one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MEMAWMOON
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009 03:52:22 AM »

This is really nice, I love it, would love to make one, gonna have to wait, I'm making toys for kids that wont have a christmas right now, you really do beautiful work! ts@yahoo.com">indainhillbillycraf ts@yahoo.com Hope I have time to make one for daughter~inlaw, she fought for our country, and now shes a mom of three wonderful grandkids, shes doing her tour as a mom now! lol. which she loves!{ 5 thumbs up!}
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bestillshop
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009 11:58:09 PM »

Thanks for the Tutorial! This bag is sweet and I love the lining fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zuliblu
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009 06:23:54 AM »

Thank you, I am going to make this today!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SuzanneMedrano
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009 09:26:02 AM »

A lovely idea and the buttons are so perfect for this bag. I hope to try this when I get a few hours. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinkstar390
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009 02:18:25 PM »

Thanks! I cant wait to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009 10:15:37 PM »

Lovely bag, thanks for the tute!  I think I have the perfect fabric to make one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Hair Brightener For Sunkissed Locks
Simple Steps to Saving Your Hair Color This Summer
How to Create a Simple Chignon
Best Of Hair Products For Curly Hair and Post Swimming
3 Easy Summer Hair Style Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...