A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blondgirl's verision of a Jeans Rag Quilt (Instructions/Tutorial/Tut/Tute)  (Read 8644 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 25, 2009 02:14:48 PM »

UPDATE: January 8, 2014
I included the rivets and buttons on the jeans for this project.  Now, years later, I regret that.  Not only was it a PITA to hit them with the needle while sewing, but now, during this very cold winter, if I roll over in the night and one of those frigid metal parts touches me, it wakes me up.  Don't do it, no matter how cool it looks!

Start with jeans.  Avoid the stretchy kind--they are not really kind.

Cut the thick seams off.  The inside thinner seam is okay, but these are TOUGH.  If you wanna try, though-it is YOUR art.  

Put the first strip on.

Cover it with the 2nd strip.  It is a good idea to see the 1st one peeking out.  With the volume of them, you are bound to miss here and there.

Block is all sewn

and is being ironed.  It is a good idea to iron after every sewn strip.  If you chain piece, it is a breeze.

Trim up the ratty edges.

Match up the blocks how ever you are pleased.

After sewing, clip across the edge where you just finished joining.  You can wait 'til the end, but after trying it that way, I found it much easier to do them before sewing the next seam.  Don't clip all the way around, though.  The scissors I used here were the easiest for me.  Try whatever methods you have available.  Clip close to the seam, but not through.  If you accidentally do, just re-stitch it. Piece of cake!

Here are several pairs strung together before clipping.

Sew your pairs together.  My method is to sew to the cross-seams.  I back stitch a few times to make good and sure it is together.  After finishing, I clip the sewn edge of that one.

One side here is already sewn.  The other side doesn't match up right.  Oh well.  It's not a big deal at all.  Just keep going on with the quilt.  This is a super forgiving project.

I wanted a project to make with the scraps and I have a sweet elderly dog sooooo...

He seems to like it. (The zipper/buttons are where I stuffed it and closed it.  WAYYYY easy to de-stuff it for washing!)

Here's a collection of string blocks ready to be joined.  I not yet decided how to finish the edges.  So many options and no need to decide yet!

Here's a close-up before washing.

Here's a pillow sham.  I was too impatient to wait, so I made a pair of these to be enjoy while finishing the project.

Here's a section of the back.

Here's a nice full pic.  See the orphan blocks that are included?

This project cost me around 10$ total (thread, some scrap strips I got from the bin at the LQS, the new fabric I used on the backs of the shams).    I took my scraps from this that were too small or cut off or left over and made some "new" fabric.  I am thinking of making large HST's with it and making maybe a Barn Raising pattern.  We'll see.  After I have washed and shaken the whole thing, I'll post a pic on the other board.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014 05:37:49 PM by BlondGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
BlondGirl

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009 07:52:43 PM »

Here is the "scrap yardage" in a block, sewn in and quilted (ditch quilting).  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014 05:18:01 PM by BlondGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

laurend1982
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009 08:32:00 PM »

My friend and I were just talking about making a quilt out of jeans with a fabric on the other side. Thank you! Came out awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009 08:49:26 AM »

Thank you !  I think it would come out more aesthetically pleasing to the average viewer if I had used regular blocks or color coordinated it or even if I had made the stripes on the diagonal-especially with a center stripe in all with a similar color.

I love the crazy explosion of color and have enjoyed sleeping with it since last week.  It has a nice, heavy weight to it that is not overwhelming, but that is just heavy enough that I can't make the bed up by flapping it across. 

Concerns:
I was worried about it not fitting in my washer/dryer but it did easily. 
I had read about the lint clogging up the drain on the washer-I did not even have enough lint in there to wipe it out of the tub (but when I wash my dog's stuff, I have to use a paper towel to wipe the wads of dog hair out).
I thought it might be a good idea to fluff it in the dryer to pre-remove lint before washing, but I got nada.
When I washed it, then dried it--after 20 minutes in the dryer I opened it to check.  My dryer has the little pocket type of lint filter in the front -- when I opened the door, the lint filter was FULL and the lint that had gathered near it poofed out of the dryer into the hallway.  It was impressive.  I just set it for 20 minutes a few more times and emptied the lint each time.  No big deal.
I did not know if the ratting-up of lint strings would be a problem across the frayed surface but there were only 2 that I remedied by cutting with the scissors. 

Beginning to end, it took me around 3 or 4 weeks just working on it when I felt like it.  It was refreshing to not have to be particular about anything or feel like I had to make something that matched up.  I've started going through all my scrap fabric (if I cut for an hour a day, I think I have more than a year's worth of cutting!) and cutting the largest size I can get, then graduating down to the next size and so on.  The next time I do one of these projects, I think I will use a variety of 6 inch single pieces of fabric with some 3 inch ones thrown in (sizes are after seaming).  I have seen so many nice ones posted all over the 'net and this was such a joy that I am looking forward to my next one!
Here is the link to the thread where I put my finished stuff.  I'll post a finished pic of the jeans one when I can get my kid to go hold it up outside for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

McJulie-O
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010 01:09:35 PM »

Oh, my! Such a helpful tute!

(And I don't need a single more project, either! Yikes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010 12:07:36 PM »

totally awesome tute and a great way to destash all the old jeans lurking at the bottom of the closet!

I love the totally randomness and your tips are very funny and helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011 10:16:47 AM »

My stack of blue jeans has built up again and I think it might be time to make another one of these.  Anybody game to join me in the process?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011 07:11:33 AM »

I just spent all weekend organizing and cutting scraps! I made a strip blocks 11 inches large but I have tons of small strips yet to use...I will play!

So step one is to cut the jeans...! I have a lot of black jeans so I think I will start with them...are you going to start a craftalong in the Miscellaneous section (my section Smiley) or just leave it here?

oh--one more question...I was thinking of adding a layer of very thin batting between the jeans and the fabric...do you think it would be too thick? I know the batting will be part of the raggedy seams...has anyone else done this?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011 07:15:32 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011 07:05:31 AM »

I wasn't thinking of anything formal--I just have fabrics overflowing my fabric closet and need to actually use them and not hoard them.  Sigh.  Perhaps some of us could inspire others to clear out some unused fabrics and enjoy the results together.

I would not recommend batting whatsoever with denim
I would not recommend batting with any fabric for this project.  It's great as it is.  (Lots of people do, but for me, I don't see a need in this. With jeans the weight is too heavy.  If I throw this one over my cat, she can't escape.)

I was thinking that this might be a great "leaders and enders" project to keep nearby.  When the stack of those blocks is high enough--put them together and ta-da!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011 07:09:32 AM »

I am so glad you are sharing your experience! So far, I have just cut the legs of the jeans open and set things in piles all over the floor!

This is a perfect project to feel like I am using up the jeans that are too nice to throw out but not nice enough to wear out!  Plus, a friend of mine wants a quilt that her daughter can use on picnics...these seems perfect...

Thank you so much for saving me hours of time and aggravation...and you better do another one...I need to be kicked in the butt to get it done! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Merging Layers in Photoshop
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...