A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Backseat Cover/Dog Blanket: Who wants to go for a ride? (litter of pics + NEW 1)  (Read 15611 times)
Tags for this thread: carseat_cover , featured_project , dog_blanket , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 25, 2009 12:51:46 PM »

Obviously she's so much happier AFTER getting her new blanket than BEFORE.

The ManFlesh's sad old sheets and towels weren't quite doing the trick of protecting the backseat of his car from his beloved dog, the lovely Miss Olive (above).  I had this thrift-store bedspread that I'd picked up to make into pet blankets for the Snuggles For Homeless Pets* program and thought it would be the perfect car seat cover.  Of course, I had to customize it.  Roll Eyes

Installed:

The headrests in the back seat come off, so that made for a great place to attach it AND keep it in place:

I made some slots for the seat belt fasteners which also help keep it in place.  Of course, sitting back there on top of the blanket kind of defeats the purpose as you'll surely be covered in dog hair if you do.   Kiss

A close-up of the bias tape binding of the edge and one of the holes for the headrest posts:

I also made the bias tape from free fabric from my aunt's stash, so the whole project cost < $2 including the thread.

The in-progress shot with my helper.

*The scrap from this and the bunches of other blankets will be made into smaller blankets for this project.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009 08:02:13 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009 01:31:49 PM »

wow that's awesome!  way better than an old sheet Smiley

Yeah, my cat always tries to "help" too..  I've started putting scraps on the floor at the same time, hopefully he'll start to confuse the scraps for the real project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009 01:46:48 PM »

wow that's awesome!  way better than an old sheet Smiley

Yeah, my cat always tries to "help" too..  I've started putting scraps on the floor at the same time, hopefully he'll start to confuse the scraps for the real project!

Well, thank you!  Hopefully it will be more durable than the sheet, too, and not tear right away.

Usually it's my other cat who's so helpful... and they NEVER get confused as to what's the real project.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009 01:54:28 PM »

Great work, it looks store bought!  And if someone had to si back there it doesn't look all that hard to move to the side or remove, so really its a win win situation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009 02:03:50 PM »

Great work, it looks store bought!  And if someone had to si back there it doesn't look all that hard to move to the side or remove, so really its a win win situation!

Thank you!  I had some fancy/expensive ones in mind when I decided on the fabric and construction.  I think it will be very easy to remove for cleaning or to just detach one side for a quick ride with a human passenger back there, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghanne
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009 02:57:28 PM »

That is awesome, it looks so good and Miss Olive looks very proud of her new comfy seat.  I've never seen such a good looking and functional seat cover in the stores. I'm hitting this Rocks cuz it does. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009 03:33:10 PM »

That is awesome, it looks so good and Miss Olive looks very proud of her new comfy seat.  I've never seen such a good looking and functional seat cover in the stores. I'm hitting this Rocks cuz it does. 

Wow, thanks so much!  I was hoping to find material that matched the car and the driver's taste rather than being dog themed, you know? I was lucky to have found that bedspread at Goodwill for next to nothing and with no damage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009 04:35:55 PM »

AWESOME MissT! I love this! So, when can I get you to come custom fit one for my truck? Not so much for the dogs, but the kids! Cheesy I rocked it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009 04:54:28 PM »

AWESOME MissT! I love this! So, when can I get you to come custom fit one for my truck? Not so much for the dogs, but the kids! Cheesy I rocked it!

Thanks 'Toots! I was actually thinking just about 30 mintues ago how it could work for kids, too.  Would it be too much of a pain to deal with under car seats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009 05:16:32 PM »

yes! for kids to!  I need one.....  I think it would work just fine with car seats as there are openings where the buckles are, and the latch system on most cars are right beside the buckles.  yup... come fit my car and his truck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sourdough Waffle Recipe
Sour Cream Waffle Recipe
Cheese-Stuffed Doritos Recipe
Jacques Pepin’s Easy Mayo Recipe
How to Make a Bacon and Mozzarella Omelete
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...