A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 303,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's not easy being GREEN - help me paint my house!  (Read 910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

only slightly faster than a one-legged armadillo

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2005 10:01:28 PM »

I have the desperate urge to repaint my entire house - it's a lovely 1927 wood-frame Craftsman-style house with gorgeous wood floors and almost every room is a horribly sanitary white.  The living room and one back bedroom are the only ones to escape (being deep forest-green and cobalt blue, respectively), and I love them.  The issue is that I adore bright, saturated colors and want every room a different color, but I'm a bit concerned about...  well, other people.  I don't want it to end up making their eyeballs peel (I'm already having a time convincing my fiance).

I think I want GREEN.  Tonal, from the living room to the laundry room, and INTENSE.  None of that watered-down neutral pastel hogwash.   From the slightly bluish green I already have, to kelly green (west wall of living room), to apple green (dining room), to acid lime (kitchen, possibly two shades), to canary yellow (laundry room).  The ceilings, trim, and doors would stay white.

It would look very vaguely like this.

Thank you MSPaint.

Except that there is NO WAY you could see all four rooms at once, in real life.  At the most, you can look into three rooms (living room, dining room, kitchen OR dining room, kitchen, laundry room).  Another option I'm very reluctantly considering is to leave the walls that awful white, and paint the ceilings those bright colors.

What do you think?  Would my dream house make my guests run screaming into the streets?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005 10:15:58 AM by stickysweetfun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005 10:06:32 PM »

do it do it do it... whats the worst that can happen.. you dont like it and you have to paint again??? i think itd be wicked fun!!!!

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005 10:38:22 PM »

I say go for it, I think it'd look great!

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005 06:45:29 AM »

I think it'll look great!
And definitely I'd go w/ painting the walls & not the ceilings - dark or dark-ish ceilings can make the ceiling seem too low & can be a bit oppressive.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005 07:02:06 AM »

I'm not sure how these colors would fit in with a craftsman style house, but hey, that's what being a property owner is all about...
The canary yellow would look interesting on a ceiling.

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 12:09:45 PM »

And large floor clothes on the hardwoods that you paint yourself by combining the colors of left over paint.  They would be your unifying element.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005 11:21:29 AM »

Green is a very eye-opening (literally, the eye opens wider to take in green--that's why we feel refreshed at the park) color that makes us feel good---but the wrong shade can be terrible to your skin.  Be careful with the lighting--too much harsh light coming down from just the ceiling will bounce that green all around your face, making you and everyone else look 'sickly' if you're not careful---balancing the light with plentiful sources at lower levels will take care of it.

Another note about green---when everything is green, the green will start to look like a neutral and fade into the background, which I take it is not what you're going for.  Using a few accents (pillows, cushions, painted furniture, whatever) in red tones (brick, rust or orangey reds, even salmons--just avoid too bright a red or you'll have christmas 24/7) to keep your lovely green 'perky'.  For example, Cherry wood furniture looks great with green because it has lots of red/orange tones. Keeping all the trim throughout the same white is a good way to go--will keep it all unified and crisp. Painting the ceilings is a tough one---it can make the room seem heavy, but it can also make it feel cozy, as if you are 'floating' in a field--it's balancing all that color with other, lighter materials and colors and good lighting that will make it work.

I'm crazy about green too, here's my own very bright 'granny smith apple green' kitchen a few years back, shown about 3/4 of the way through renovation (sadly, I don't live there anymore!): (note, I painted the ceiling and the trim all the same shade of green--it worked because two of the walls were a different material all together which kept it from being 'too much'.)

Share pics when you're done!!  I'm excited to see the results!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Have a Perfect Green Christmas
How to Create a Wrapping Paper
How to Create Your Own Napkin Ring
How to Gift Wrap a Bottle
How to Decorate Your Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...