A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cherryblossom Toilet Transformation! Before and After  (Read 10405 times)
Tags for this thread: cherry_blossom , bathroom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 25, 2009 01:36:26 AM »

A pic to lure you in:

I have been living in my rental house for 2,5 years now. I live in the Netherlands and for small, rental houses it is customary to have only one toilet, in the hallway. The shower or bath is usually separate.

My toilet is under my staircase and is very, very small. Not only in floorspace (110 cm by 88 cm = approx 44x35 inches), but also because it has a sloping ceiling.

Besides very small, my toilet was was old, tired, the grout of the floor was loose and it had a big hole where the ventilation pipe was. The lightbulb was attached to the wall with a weird construction. The tap was full of limescale and was missing most of its chrome. The pipe for the water was exposed and painted in a bad shade of beige. The toilet roll holder was cheap (like 4 euros  Tongue, 6US$), rusting and kept falling off the wall. And I hadn't gone around painting the inside of the door yet, it was still the awful green-beige colour that all my doors had had. And I had an "old people" wall fixture (no idea what this is in English, not even sure what its officially named in Dutch Huh)

The summary: not very pretty.... The "upside" was that is was all white, but the term "white" is used loosely: cream, beige and white were all present. Here's the proof

(My soap was too big to stand on my tiny 25 cm wide (10 inches) sink.. this is a normal size sink in toilets in older houses  Cheesy)

I had a long weekend off and I decided to turn this depressing spot in my home around.

I have had ideas what to do to the toilet since I moved in. Lately I planned to have all kinds of maps decoupaged to the wall. Maps of places me & my boyfriend have travelled to. I was inspired a long time ago by this post here on Craftster:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19866.0

Things that I also liked where the cherry blossomed walls of missjesswinkwink
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=143297.0

Anyway, after long consideration I decided to go for the map idea and selected a lot of maps; African, European, Dominican, Dutch, Asia.... I had a lot. And they were always deeply cherished by me, as I love maps Kiss and travelling.

I got some vinyl flooring leftovers from a friend which was big enough to fill the tiny floor.

I went to the store to buy some new toilet accesoiries, like towel hooks,  a toilet roll holder and a small shelf. This time I decided to go for some high quality stuff since I got tired of things breaking off, rusting and other kinds of annoying accesoiry behavior.

But in the hardware store I found these fantastic cherry blossomed mural transfers!!!!  Shocked Only 12,99 euros (i guess that would be around 20 US $?)

CHANGE OF PLANS!!!!! I'd fallen in love...............

I ran to the paint section and got some testers for FREE!!! Yeah! It didn't matter that I wanted 5 of them Wink Each tester was supposed to be enough to paint one square meter, which turned out to be false. Luckily I had just enough to paint my walls twice. So lucky they had this beautiful blue-green Cheesy as they had only a few colours available as testers.

As I came home I filled the holes in the walls, sanded the walls and applied a paint primer to the walls. I also sanded and primed the door and woodwork twice and then finished it off with two layers a satingloss paint. I almost forgot the exposed pipes, they ware also sanded down and painted 4 times with metal paint in the next few days.

After the drying of the wall primer I was ready to paint!!!! Cheesy Always exciting to see a colour go up on the wall! I had to do 2 layers, it was very blotchy after the first round.
Then I put the powertools to work and hung all the bath fixtures and the new ventilation thing. I also changed the tap for a new but inexpensive one (7 euros, 11$) .

The horrible ugly (and smelly Angry) floor was still untouched

I hung my new lightfixture and started to arrange the walltransfers.

Then I removed the backing and applied the transfers to the wall. It is a bit like those fake tattoos for kids  Grin

The ceiling

A piece of tape messed up the paint, but I retouched it later

And here the final result, with the new vinyl floor:

I do LOVE my toilet now!!! It turned out much better than I imagined, and on a budget. I only paid for the accesoiries, tap, mural transfers and the metal paint. The rest was free or were leftovers from other projects around the house. And it only took me a weekend!

I might replace the vinyl for a grey piece in the future and maybe put some picture frames onto the wall.

My boyfriend was on holiday and was VERY pleasantly surprised when he returned Grin.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009 02:27:27 AM by Singalala » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
ragdollpirate
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009 02:00:46 AM »

I think it turned out lovely and I am not just saying that since the blue green you have covers most of my walls here in my home but, because you made an ugly bathroom look beautiful. My poor front bathroom is still half nasty and I know how much it makes me cringe when I have to go in there to shower so, I can only imagine how you felt in your little toilet. Congrats on a beautiful redo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesign s.etsy.com
alhrayth
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009 02:41:33 AM »

very inspiring! the bathroom is the next room I have to tackle.... I'm definitely shopping for ideas! it's amazing how color can change the whole feeling of a little room like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamstephieee

The world is really all in love.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009 03:22:11 AM »

That wall color is to die for. That bathroom could be straight off a H&G room makeover show. Awesome job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
(\__/)
(=.'=)  <3 Stephieee!
()_()
gekkogirl
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009 05:16:39 AM »

Well done! well done! well done! This is a wonderful transformation. I hate my rental bathroom too and this is most inspiring.... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prttynpnk
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009 07:32:31 AM »

Gorgeous toilet room, you did an amazing job. I love how everything came together. The wall color is beautiful, I'm glad you didn't go with the maps I think they would have made the space look smaller.

I just have to say that the "before" looked like a scary gas station bathroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009 07:44:49 AM »

I just worked on my rental bathroom too!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=295838.msg3367222#msg3367222

Great job, I like yours better!  That color is amazing (I have that color tattooed actually Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009 08:07:01 AM »

what a delightful change, lovely colour, and pretty design!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
gamerbabe
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009 09:05:37 AM »

Teal + cherry blossoms = my favorite combination.

it looks lovely. Truly .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawnofdolls
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009 09:41:05 AM »

First of all, I love the idea of decoupaging the maps of places you and your bf have traveled together to a wall.  Very sweet.   Grin

Secondly, I had no idea that the toilet and showers were separated there... I went to Europe once, and in one of our hotels in Italy the shower head was not even in an enclosed space - it just spouted water out into the middle of the bathroom, where it went down a drain in the middle of the floor.  Strange.   Huh

Anyhow, I absolutely love what you did with your bathroom - it's such a tiny space, and it looks great!  The cherry blossoms and colors are great... it looks so much more clean and fresh.   Wink  If I'm ever in the Netherlands, I'll be sure to stop in and use your potty.  lol    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/DawnOfDollz
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Classic Chignon Tutorial
3 Hairstyles for Short Hair
How to Create a Low and Messy Ponytail
How to Do a Braided Bun
Hair Tyrant: Putting Your College Style Behind You
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...