A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I think I'm addicted, but I might be biased...  (Read 7006 times)
Tags for this thread: bias_tape  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 24, 2009 06:38:00 PM »

My name is TheMistressT and I like to make bias tape.  (Hi, TheMistressT!)  The reason this might be more of an obsession than a skill is that I usually make it before I have a project to use it on.   Undecided  I have been pretty successful not buying fabric just for the purpose of making bias tape, though - the only time I've done so was with that tiny turquoise gingham which was on clearance.

Not all of these are cut on the bias, actually.  The gingham, stars and stripes are and the green dots and purple swirls are cut on the grain.  The stars and stripes are double-fold, the rest single fold.  I had to put a closer shot because I love these darn things.

I originally thought to put this in the Sewing In General board, but there's not a "finished project" section that I could see... and these are for sewing, but not sewn.  If this belongs somewhere else, I'll be happy to move it or have it moved.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009 06:55:11 PM »

ooo pretty! I never would have thought to make my own bias tape  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009 07:15:59 PM »

Thank you - I can't remember where I got inspired exactly, but it was probably here on craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennette
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009 07:26:48 PM »

you rock! i can't tell you how cool i think you are.  i love being able to make my own bias tape to match/coordinate projects just so, but i hate actually doing it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009 07:30:54 PM »

Yeah, I'd say you are completely biased. Cheesy  This is a good thing.  Your work looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009 08:15:57 PM »

ohhhhhh so *pretty*! I am a fellow addict, but haven't made nearly what you've made. Mine's 90% project-oriented. Now I'm thinking "gee, maybe I *do* need to make some "just in case" I need it."  Cheesy

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009 08:18:58 PM »

I LOVE making bias tape as well!!  I thought I was a freak of nature, but there are others out there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009 09:17:58 PM »

wow, these are very pretty.  I never liked using bias tape because all the store ones were really plain, but I may have to dive into this and do my own!  I've heard of making your own, but always thought it was kind of time-consuming.  Is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009 10:39:48 AM »

you rock! i can't tell you how cool i think you are.  i love being able to make my own bias tape to match/coordinate projects just so, but i hate actually doing it.  

Ha!  Thanks!  I actually like making it (not so much the cutting), but am not such a fan of using it... at least not the double fold to bind edges the "proper" way with all that hand sewing.  Of course the finished product is usually so nice it almost seems worth it.

ohhhhhh so *pretty*! I am a fellow addict, but haven't made nearly what you've made. Mine's 90% project-oriented. Now I'm thinking "gee, maybe I *do* need to make some "just in case" I need it."  Cheesy

QB
Hi QuiltersBlock!  If only I knew people who could/would use it I'd give them away for birthdays, etc.

I LOVE making bias tape as well!!  I thought I was a freak of nature, but there are others out there!

It's kind of a Zen thing for me (except the cutting).  I can think about other things, problem solve, plan and such while doing it.  Especially that striped one which was about 9 yards of double-fold all in one strip.

Yeah, I'd say you are completely biased. Cheesy  This is a good thing.  Your work looks great.

Thanks, ma'am!

wow, these are very pretty.  I never liked using bias tape because all the store ones were really plain, but I may have to dive into this and do my own!  I've heard of making your own, but always thought it was kind of time-consuming.  Is it?

One in a while I'll stumble upon a cute vintage bias tape at a yard sale and I have a few from my grandmother's stash, but the store stuff is pretty dull for all by the most utilitarian purposes.  It takes a little practice to get it down, but it's not that time consuming.  I don't have a big cutting surface or long straight edge so I can't really use a rotary cutter to cut the strips quickly, so that's the time consuming part.  The little tool makes the rest of it go pretty fast and if you set up your ironing board in front of the TV or listen to a podcast or something it feels like it goes pretty quickly.  All that said, sometimes it MAKES your project so the time is worth it.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009 10:41:32 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009 11:34:44 AM »

have you ever used those gizmos that make bias tape?  Do they work well, if so?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Missing Series by Margaret Haddix
The White Princess by Philippa Gregory
Neil Hilborn, Man With OCD, Performs Heartbreaking Poem
Annie Choi: What Are You Reading?
Woman Finds Success Writing Harry Potter Fan Fiction
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...